16 Mar 2010
By kmesh

Playstation Staff

PS3 Screenshots... Why not?

5 Replies 2,475 Views Created 16-03-2010

How come we aren't able to take screenshots of games?

It would be sweet to take a pic of a great scene/battle/race/move you are doing and send it to a friend.

So why cant we :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6 (2,475 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 Screenshots... Why not?

cause that would be convenient :smileywink:

nah jks, i think it was planned for when ingame xmb was first introduced, but it was probably all too hard, especially for online, and in offline games it would be hard to remove the pause menu. so i think it was probably the best decision not to have it, though i would be a keen user of it if it was introduced
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6 (2,454 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Its something that was left to game developers to implement rather than have as XMB functionality. Unfortunately not many developers took it on board.

Insomniac did it for Resistance: Fall of Man 3 years ago. Studio Liverpool did it for Wipeout. Naughty Dog did it for Uncharted 2. I can't see why others can't follow suit.
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6 (2,432 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

............and now Just Cause 2 has gone one step further, with in game video to upload to Youtube :smileywink:

1TB SSHD PS4 – Samsung 40” 3D LED – Yamaha 5x 100watt Receiver
Looking for a clan to join ?? check out Beyond The Grave [BTG]
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6 (2,360 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift was another one that let you take in game screenshots. I loved the ability to move the camera around to find the best angle. Unfortunately it was only for the single player modes.

The R:FOM screenshots were a bit clunky and hard to get action shots cos it required you to press a button on a keyboard whilst also trying to work the controller (The Big toe worked alright here :smileytongue:) But at least it let you take screens whilst playing online :smileywink:

Those Just Cause 2 Vids sound cool, maybe Devs should try to implement something like the system in the SKATE series? Where its constantly recording your actions and you can "pause" and edit the clip any time you like. That would be an awesome addition to all of our favourite games and would make sharing those in game moments of brilliance (or stupidity) much easier.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6 (2,314 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]
The function is built in To the firmware The same as custom sound tracks. SD video caputer. in game web browser. The developer just neededs to select the box for each option and lose the memory from the CPU for it's use.

EA keep the copyright license and host the content online.

Rockstar do the same.

Sony tiles export content to the XMB from there in game library Normaly

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Atari titles export direct to XMB.

Photobucket

Just a few examples.

SCEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester. Paid for NowTV subscription user from 03/2013 to 02/2014. VM cable user, SKY+HD User, Game Capture HD II Owner. Mobile 15 inch Screen Android kit kat 4.43 user.
Don't Need DLNA with a HTML5 browser in PS4...
Click for Plex.tv Beta video running on PS4 browser.. Enable the 1080p mode
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6 (2,033 Views)
0 Kudos