02 Apr 2010
Playstation Staff

How to improve PS2 picture on LCD TV.

17 Replies 9,646 Views Created 02-04-2010

I've got my PS2 Slim connected to my LCD TV but the picture is terrible.  It's quite jaggy and puts me off playing.  Maybe it's because I'm used to play my PS3 and 360 in HD but I'm sure the picture was better when playing it on an old fat TV years back.

Anyone got any suggestions on how to improve the picture?  It's connected by the scart cable that came with it in to the RGB scart on the back of  my TV.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, I've just got Persona 4 and really want to play it.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 18 (9,646 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Re: How to improve PS2 picture on LCD TV.

[ Edited ]

You have set it to 16:9 yeah?

Also, use an RGB scart cable if you don't already.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 18 (9,638 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

Try getting hold of a ps2 component lead, it'll have five phono leads on the end that plugs into the tv, red/green/blue for picture and red/white for sound.

Just remember the picture quality ain't gonna be hi-def, though it's better than using a scart lead on your lcd tv.

P.S.   The picture quality still won't be a good as using a scart lead on an old style crt tv as you mentioned in your post.

Hope this helps.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 18 (9,633 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

As said before, use a component cable and if it looks crap just turn the sharpness down to reduce the appearance of jaggies and pixelation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.thezeitgeistmovement.com
www.thevenusproject.com
:Angel:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 18 (9,589 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

Thanks for the suggestions.  I've got my Wii connected via component so won't be able to use that. 

Is the scart that came with the PS2 RGB?  Or do I need to keep an eye out for one?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 18 (9,572 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I'd recommend the component lead also. A huge improvement over SCART, especially on an LCD which the PS2 probably was never meant to be viewed on lol
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 18 (9,511 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

I use a component lead with my silver phat PS2 on my HDTV, looks fine tbf, better then RGB and S-Video. Any leads for PS3 apart from HDMI will work in a PS2, so they are relatively easy to get.

320gb PS3 Slim, 120gb PS3 Slim, 60gb PS3, PSVita. PSP, soon PS4
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 18 (9,164 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Using the Multi AV cable you get with the PS2 and the Scart adaptor box (plug in box with the 3 jacks on one side and the scart on the other) only gives you composite and not proper RGB scart video.

What you need is an RGB Scart Multi AV lead.....something like this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SONY-Playstation-Scart-Cable-outputs/dp/B000IV1OHE/ref=pd_cp_ce_0

This works the same as the other type BUT utilises all 21 pins of the scart instead of about 5pins(Yellow,Red,White,Left audio,Right audio).

P.S Look inside your existing scart box adaptor and you will see that there's not 21 pins inside being used.....

P.P.S although this is the best connection for a PS2 to an LCD TV it still may look a little.....meh....as your used to PS3 upscaling the video signal.

addicted to PSV GD
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 18 (9,155 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

i play my ps2 on 15" CRT tv, and picture quality are great. ps2 is not good for LCD, expessially big
××
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 18 (9,154 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

This is the main reason I want Sony to release a new PS3 model that is backwards compatible with PS2 games.

It can upscale the graphics and send it over a digital HDMI cable to the HDTV, which will make it look noticeably better than something from an analogue cable.

But Sony don't seem to put any priority at making their userbase pleased.

All signatures sucks, especially those with images in them.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 18 (8,985 Views)
0 Kudos