19 Jun 2009
Playstation Staff

"DVD Player Not Set Up"

7 Replies 3,774 Views Created 20-06-2009

Hi Guys,

Got given an old "Phat" PS2, at first could not read/recognise some games (God of War 1 and 2) or DVDs, I cleaned the lens with a cotton bud and alcohol and all games then worked fine! However, even though it now recognises the DVDs it cant play them instead giving me a message that says "DVD Player Not Set Up"! I tried messing about with the settings in the Browser/Configuration Screen/Menu but to no avail, I dont know if the previous owner was able to watch DVDs on it either. Does it need to be connected to the net or something to enable DVD playback? I dont want to mess with the Laser Alignment as I dont think this should have anything to do with this problem.

Any Ideas?

Thanks Guys!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8 (3,774 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Re: "DVD Player Not Set Up"

Some of PS2s don't support God of War games as well as DVDs mate.
By cartmen
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8 (3,772 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Ok I did'nt know that, so what your saying is if the GOWs are working the DVD playback is not going to be possible?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8 (3,769 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

mouche100 wrote:
Ok I did'nt know that, so what your saying is if the GOWs are working the DVD playback is not going to be possible?

Some games ie GoW, GT4, etc come on dual layer discs (double the info then a normal dvd), and most Phat ps2s either won't read or are simply unable to play these DL discs. Try another DL game like GT4 and if it still wont read it then you may require a new lens or PS2.

500Gb PS3 Super Slim
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8 (3,752 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

GRANNYTURISMO wrote:

mouche100 wrote:

Some games ie GoW, GT4, etc come on dual layer discs (double the info then a normal dvd), and most Phat ps2s either won't read or are simply unable to play these DL discs. Try another DL game like GT4 and if it still wont read it then you may require a new lens or PS2.

The Dual Layer read is fine, its just the moviefilm playback is not working, it will recognize the DVD Video disc but it says "DVD Player Not Set Up" when I try to play them. Not having a seperate dedicated DVD player I'm trying to use the PS2 for both games and movie watching which I thought all PS2 could inherently do?? The Game side of things is fine its the movie watching thats not happening! Any Ideas?

Thanks Guys!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8 (3,748 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

What firmware is the dvd player ? press triangle on menu screen.
When you bought the official remote for ps2 it came with a disc to update firmware for dvd player.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8 (3,678 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Ok Thank you I'll check that one out, I'm a bit confused now though, any of the other PS2s that I've had never needed anything to enable/update the dvd player function, as this PS2 came from someone else is it possible that they also have a remote somewhere to?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8 (3,655 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Hi Guys, me again!

I just picked up a brand new ir PS2 DVD remote control (SCPH-10420 E) in the hope that this might help me solve the problem of the "DVD Player not set up" message after my PS2 reads a DVD disc. The Console # is SCPH-50003, the Browser is 1.40, the CD Player is 2.00 and the Playstation Driver is 1.11. I notice this list (found by pressing "triangle" while on the home screen) does not include a DVD driver, as already mentioned I do not have the owners manual for the PS2 and the remote did not come with any cd or dvd to update the PS2 so I still dont know how to enable the DVD player on the PS2, were there any other models that didn't come with dvd playback out of the box? Any other suggestions? Anyone have a manual from the 50003 series?

Thanks again Guys! 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8 (2,537 Views)
0 Kudos