12 Nov 2008

Playstation Staff

Can I Play PS2 Singstar disks on my PS3?

7 Replies 1,146 Views Created 12-11-2008

Apologies if everyone is tired of this however I have just bought an 80GB PS3 and foolishly expected my PS2 Singstar disks to work. They don't.. does anyone have any solutions or information as to how to get them to work please? Thanks

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8 (1,146 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Re: Can I Play PS2 Singstar disks on my PS3?

the 80GB isn't BC so they won't play. Work fine on a 60 gigger though
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8 (1,140 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

They are supposed to be releasing a patch to enable ALL Ps3s to play the content from the PS2 disks. Just dont know when though.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8 (1,131 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Thanks, I hope so. Do you know how these patches reach us..are they a software download directly in to the PS3 or are they added to a PS3 game disk

cheers

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8 (1,097 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Well, they announced an update for the PS3 Singstar game that would allow the use of PS2 discs, much the same way as the disc swapping in the PS2 games.
So you'd need to buy a PS3 Singstar game (such as the ABBA one that comes out tomorrow) and have your PS3 connected to the Internet so it can download updates.

HOWEVER, Sony's track record with announcements related to PS3 Singstar hasn't exactly been stellar, so I wouldn't hold my breath just yet...
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8 (1,093 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 9

Playstation Staff

I phoned up Sony because on one of the Leipzig trailers they talked about the disc swap feature and I am pretty sure it said that the Ps2 discs could be incorporated! I have a 60gb so I can play the discs but not into my PS3 library! I was fooled too dude! :smileywink:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8 (1,023 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Hi, just thought I'd report back on my progress (or lack of). Just bought AbbA singstar disk for PS3 (I have to say it's very good!), unfortunately it still hasn't "unlocked" any ability to play the PS2 Singstar disks. I tried the disk swap utility (no joy) and as yet I haven't found any prompt to download any updates.

I'll keep looking but I appreciate the suggestions which are being posted...thanks

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8 (955 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Good news!!! Had a Singstar session at the weekend...was prompted to download the latest s/ware update and hey presto..disk swap now works on the PS3 using PS2 disks!....well done Sony (credit where cedit's due!)
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8 (681 Views)
0 Kudos