Reply
Want to join in?

Sign in to continue

I have a PSN account

Welcome back!

I'm new!

it only takes a minute or two

  • 13

    New messages in the last hour

  • Get a response within minutes

  • 92%

    92% percent of messages responded to

23 Nov 2009
By xHeatherx

xHeatherx

  • Award Winner
  • Offline
90%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Games for children

17 Replies 3,723 Views Created 23-11-2009

Christmas is really close now and I'd thought it'd be nice to make a thread for all the parents/carers/family members out there, who find it difficult to find some appropriate games for the younger ones to play.

I'm always struggling on ideas what to buy my daughter, constantly thinking there's not much of a selection out there, when there really is.

This is just a few games that I can think of. If there's some other games that you think are perfect for children to play (that I have missed out) then please feel free to post them up :)

 

Here's the list:

 

PS3 Games

 

Littlebigplanet

Cloudy with a chance of meatballs

Cars Race-O-Rama

Buzz!

Motorstorm

Burnout Paradise

Ice Age 3: Dawn of the Dinosaurs

Disney's UP

Eye Pet

Surf's UP

Madagascar Kartz

Sonic Unleashed

Bolt

Monsters vs. Aliens

Sonic the Hedgehog

WALL.E

Monopoly

Kung Fu Panda

The Legend of Spyro

Sega Superstars Tennis

Lego Star Wars

Lego Indiana Jones

Lego Batman

Disney Sing it

Ratchet & Clank Tools of destruction

Ratchet & Clank ACIT

Singstar

FIFA

Pro Evolution Soccer

Everybody's Golf World Tour

Hannah Montana

Harry Potter

Katamari Forever

 

PSN Games

 

Bejeweled 2

Bomberman Ultra

Flower

Lemmings

LocoRoco Cocoreccho

Magic Ball

Toy Home

Aqua Vita

Noby Noby Boy

Shatter

Topatoi

Wipeout HD

Calling All Cars

OutRun

Q*bert

Zen Pinball

Zuma

Trash Panic

Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-cars

Buzz! Junior: Jungle Party

Buzz! Junior: Monster Rumble

Buzz! Junior: RoboJam

Elefunk

High Velocity Bowling

Hasbro Family Game Night

Go! Puzzle

PixelJunk Eden

PixelJunk Racers

Piyotama

Super Stardust HD

Super Rub'a'Dub

Snakeball

TV Show King

Hail to the Chimp

 

PSOne Games (Downloadable from PSN)

 

 

Crash Bandicoot

Crash Bandicoot 2

Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped

Crash Team Racing

Disney's Hercules

Kula World

A Bug's Life

Cool Boarders

Creatures 3: Raised In Space

Destruction Derby

Disney's Tarzan

Everybody's Golf 2

James Pond 2

The Little Mermaid 2

Part Time with Whinnie the Pooh

Sheep

Rayman

Spin Jam

Street Skater 2

Theme Park

Wipeout

LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
08
/16

leggy1975

  • Offline
90%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
leggy1975
Accepted Solution

Well I have a 5 year old lad and a 11 year old girl. The girl to be honest would rather play on her wii (tut tut) but the little un loves the PS3

 

I would say his favourite games over the past year have been

 

LBP

Pain

Calling All Cars

Madagascar Kartz

Fat Princess

Cars Race O Rama

Cars Piston Cup

High Velocity Bowling

 

Tried to get him into Modern Warfare 2 but doesnt interest him for some reason

 

0 Kudos

Re: Games for children

02
/16

Mkwone

  • Offline
92%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Mkwone
Accepted Solution
You can add the Guitar Hero/Rock band games to your list. Both have released family friendly versions with Lego RockBand (maybe out this week?) and Band Hero.
0 Kudos

Re: Games for children

Award Winner
08
/16

xHeatherx

  • Award Winner
  • Offline
90%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
xHeatherx
Accepted Solution

Mkwone wrote:
You can add the Guitar Hero/Rock band games to your list. Both have released family friendly versions with Lego RockBand (maybe out this week?) and Band Hero.

 

Thanks :) I was going to add this to the list, but my daughter really struggles to play it, so I didn't know whether to add it.

Another brilliant family game though! :)

0 Kudos

Re: Games for children

Beta Tester
10
/16

ytevo79

  • Beta Tester
  • Offline
99%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ytevo79
Accepted Solution

My lad loves his 360 and i would of said there was more games out there for him on that then on the PS3, but looking at your list Heather most are multiplatform anyway. But the PS2 is the weapon of choice for the kids IMO.

 

His Wii never gets a look in anymore because now he's 9 he likes more big boys games and regularly plays the likes of Tony Hawks (PS2 & 360) Sonic (his favorite, 360) Fifa Street Transformers ATV vs MX Unleashed an so on.

 

 

My dad spoils him with the games tho and makes Chrismas hard because he buys him new games all year round as well :Rolleyes: I dont see the point in him having a PS3 with the 360 collection he already has and its not like the exclusives matter for children and the multiplatform games are the majority of kids games anyway.

 

 

0 Kudos

Re: Games for children

Award Winner
08
/16

xHeatherx

  • Award Winner
  • Offline
90%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
xHeatherx
Accepted Solution

ytevo79 wrote:

 

His Wii never gets a look in anymore because now he's 9 he likes more big boys games and regularly plays the likes of Tony Hawks (PS2 & 360) Sonic (his favorite, 360) Fifa Street Transformers ATV vs MX Unleashed an so on.

 

 


I bought my daughter a wii for Christmas last year. She played it all day Christmas day and never played it again.

She prefers her DS mostly but loves her PS3 games too. She is addicted to playing Motorstorm Pacific Rift at the moment. :)

 

0 Kudos

Re: Games for children

Beta Tester
10
/16

ytevo79

  • Beta Tester
  • Offline
99%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ytevo79
Accepted Solution

xHeatherx wrote:

ytevo79 wrote:

 

His Wii never gets a look in anymore because now he's 9 he likes more big boys games and regularly plays the likes of Tony Hawks (PS2 & 360) Sonic (his favorite, 360) Fifa Street Transformers ATV vs MX Unleashed an so on.

 

 


I bought my daughter a wii for Christmas last year. She played it all day Christmas day and never played it again.

She prefers her DS mostly but loves her PS3 games too. She is addicted to playing Motorstorm Pacific Rift at the moment. :)

 


 

Ha my lad loves Forza 2, he cant play it to save his life tho and when he saw my brother pick Forza 3 up he wanted that then. Well i always say to him ''you haven't even completed the one you've got yet'' and i think its just a waste and would rather get him something new and different. My dad will get him it for Chrimbo tho i'll put money on it :Lol:

 

 

 

I haven't looked at the Christmas list of games yet, i just pick up what i see while out shopping and get him to suggest a few games as well then sneak back and get them ;)

0 Kudos

Re: Games for children

Award Winner
08
/16

xHeatherx

  • Award Winner
  • Offline
90%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
xHeatherx
Accepted Solution

ytevo79 wrote:

xHeatherx wrote:

ytevo79 wrote:

 

His Wii never gets a look in anymore because now he's 9 he likes more big boys games and regularly plays the likes of Tony Hawks (PS2 & 360) Sonic (his favorite, 360) Fifa Street Transformers ATV vs MX Unleashed an so on.

 

 


I bought my daughter a wii for Christmas last year. She played it all day Christmas day and never played it again.

She prefers her DS mostly but loves her PS3 games too. She is addicted to playing Motorstorm Pacific Rift at the moment. :)

 


 

Ha my lad loves Forza 2, he cant play it to save his life tho and when he saw my brother pick Forza 3 up he wanted that then. Well i always say to him ''you haven't even completed the one you've got yet'' and i think its just a waste and would rather get him something new and different. My dad will get him it for Chrimbo tho i'll put money on it :Lol:

 

 

 

I haven't looked at the Christmas list of games yet, i just pick up what i see while out shopping and get him to suggest a few games as well then sneak back and get them ;)


Me too. I'll end up buying my daughter a load of games that she won't have time to play... That's Christmas for you :P

 

 

@Ecroman I'll be getting Indiana Jones 2 for Christmas. It's mainly for my daughter *cough cough* me I mean. :D  Really looking forward to getting it :)

I loved the first Lego Indiana Jones. Plus you can create your own levels.

0 Kudos

Re: Games for children

Beta Tester
02
/16

Ecroman

  • Beta Tester
  • Offline
64%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Ecroman
Accepted Solution

lego indiana jones 2 is just out.

 

my little boy like playing heavy weapons, simple to play, and a bit cartoony so doesnt seem quite so violent! 

0 Kudos

Re: Games for children

07
/16

zinep

  • Offline
85%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
zinep
Accepted Solution

Does anyone know how well EyePet would work for a child who doesn't know a word of English? Is it language neutral (icons and such instead), or does it support other languages than English?

 

I have a friend whose son wants a pet. But my friend is reluctant to get him one. I suggested that a temporary patch may be EyePet, but he [the son] doesn't understand English.

0 Kudos

Re: Games for children

Beta Tester
10
/16

ytevo79

  • Beta Tester
  • Offline
99%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ytevo79
Accepted Solution

I dont own it but i think it works more on shapes and hand gestures then on language from what i have seen so providing the child in question is old enough to play games i would of though they would be able to pick it up quite easily.

 

I know Heather has it so she will be able to comment on this more, but surly most games within the EU come multilingual

Message Edited by ytevo79 on 23-11-2009 05:46 PM
0 Kudos

Re: Games for children

[ Edited ]
Award Winner
08
/16

xHeatherx

  • Award Winner
  • Offline
90%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
xHeatherx
Accepted Solution

zinep wrote:

Does anyone know how well EyePet would work for a child who doesn't know a word of English? Is it language neutral (icons and such instead), or does it support other languages than English?

 

I have a friend whose son wants a pet. But my friend is reluctant to get him one. I suggested that a temporary patch may be EyePet, but he [the son] doesn't understand English.


 

There are parts of the game that are difficult for a very young child. For example, drawing the toys, keeping everything aligned correctly etc. But if your friends son has someone there to help him through it. He'll be fine :) I have a one year old and a four year old. They both love it.

 

 

0 Kudos

Re: Games for children

04
/16

boffin92

  • Offline
85%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
boffin92
Accepted Solution

Grand Theft Auto Series

Manhunter

Modern Warfare 2

Assassin's Creed 2

 

:)

0 Kudos

Re: Games for children

Beta Tester
10
/16

ytevo79

  • Beta Tester
  • Offline
99%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ytevo79
Accepted Solution

boffin92 wrote:

Grand Theft Auto Series - 'The Search for the Stolen Tricycle'

Manhunter - 'Playing Hide & Seek with Dad'

Modern Warfare 2 - 'The School Run was a Knighmare'

Assassin's Creed 2 - 'Bruises in the Playground'

 

:)


 

FIXED! :p

0 Kudos

Re: Games for children

04
/16

Rank_ftw

  • Offline
95%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Rank_ftw
Accepted Solution
Well I don't have kids but you put alot of effort into that list to help people so Kudos for you :).
0 Kudos

Re: Games for children

N4G | | Twitter | | Raptr | | Steam
02
/16

bruirn

  • Offline
23%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
bruirn
Accepted Solution

Bumped!

 

Any newer games for kids out at the moment? I'm thinking particularly of downloadable games available on the Playstation 3 Network. My girls are 8 and 12. Downloaded Uno at the weekend, which isn't bad. What about something like Flower? Any good? 

0 Kudos

Re: Games for children

Beta Tester
10
/16

ytevo79

  • Beta Tester
  • Offline
99%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ytevo79
Accepted Solution
You could try Flower although i don't think kids would get the gist of it like us adults. But if its still reduced then get it!

I'm not to sure on PSN ones and since Heather made this list i don't recall any new games coming out.

One to keep your eyes on the is the new Sonic & Sega racing Kart game they they would probably enjoy and there is a demo on the store now ;)
0 Kudos

Re: Games for children

Beta Tester
04
/16

dwad69

  • Beta Tester
  • Offline
96%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
dwad69
Accepted Solution
Another great thread go Heather :Lol: If I can just add Peggle to the list great for the kids, and Flower is magic after you have just had a heavy session on Bio 2 and AVP flower makes such a change. It might be a little to slow paced for kids but you never know :Thumbs:
0 Kudos

Re: Games for children

Beavis is da man Vote Stu for PM :Thumbs:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel