24 May 2009

Playstation Staff

Is the PS3 Region Free?

33 Replies 247,002 Views Created 24-05-2009

I've been looking up on the web to see if the PS3 is region free and I can't get a definite answer.

Can someone clarify if it is region free and that I can import a US version of Sacred 2 and play it on my UK PS3?

Also does it matter what version of the console I have? I have the newer model has this changed the region free compatibility if it is true?

Wana know before I purchase the game.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 34 (247,002 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re : Is the PS3 Region Free?

The games are region free not the console, so the US copy of Sacred 2 will work on a PAL PS3 as will nearly every PS3 game from anywhere in the world, the only game that isnt region free is StrangleHold.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 34 (246,815 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Re: Re : Is the PS3 Region Free?

Thanks for helping me out
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 34 (246,808 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

If you import a game you will have to get any dlc from the same region though as these cant be matched - us game + uk dlc wont work.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 34 (246,772 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

All the PS3 games are region free. That means it dosent mater where you bought the console, or where you buy your games, they will all be combatible.

There are a few things to be aware of though.

First the games still exist in PAL, or NTSC versions. That means if your are using and older TV wich does not have HDMI, some games will not work correct, you may expirience weird colors, or black white screen or other odd things. If you use a new TV with HDMI there is nothing to worry about. since when using HDMI signals there is no suchs things as PAL, or NTSC.

Second. if you import a game from another region. You must also buy eventual DLC from the store wich your original game is linked with.

Third. Some games have region locked online play. wich means if you import a US game, you will only be able to play online with other people who have the US version.

Fourth. The bluray movies are still region locked. So you cant import US movies to watch on your EU PS3 unless the movie it self is region free.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 34 (247,074 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: Is the PS3 Region Free?

Just in case you wanted further confirmation, I have an american import of Sonic the Hedgehog. It works without a hitch, don't know about dlc though.

Also, I'm not actually masochistic enough to buy Sonic the Hedgehog let alone pay more to import it. It was a gift.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Feel free to add me, IllogicologyUK
I''m online a fair bit, always up for a chat. Burnout players are welcome to invite,

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 34 (247,072 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Its is region Free but sony made the console region free but any DLC you want you have to go to the store of that games  region stupid really.Microsoft games are mostly region locked. But the good thing is if you buy a game that is region free you can download the DLC from any region and it will work. I wish sony did this becuase if you buy a import game and want extra maps etc you cant because is region locked. Unless you buy from the games territory.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 34 (247,073 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Sony has managd to have it's cake and eat it too. They want to say that they're the first console manufacturer to go region free but they're still imposing restrictions on that.

Seems a bit deceptive to me.

Message Edited by illogicologyUk on 25-05-2009 10:03 AM

I''m online a fair bit, always up for a chat. Burnout players are welcome to invite,

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 34 (247,060 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Sony should upload other regions DLC to the stores as well so people can download it no matter where they have imported from... help there customers not hinder... :smileyhappy:

eg. they could have DLC USA section and DLC JAPAN section on the EU store for example... 

All this will be lost in time... like tears in rain...Photobucket
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 34 (247,040 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Or just not region code the dlc in the first place.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 34 (247,025 Views)
0 Kudos