06 Feb 2009
Playstation Staff

KZ2 spoilt by look/aim control delay...

61 Replies 1,703 Views Created 06-02-2009

I love the demo to pieces but found it very difficult to play as the time delay between me pushing the right analogue stick and the corrisponding effect actually initiating in the game is terrible. For example...

To test this out so you can clearly understand what I mean, start the demo and find your self a place to stand (where your not getting shot). Hold the control pad with one hand and 'flick' the right analogue stick with the other. Notice that there is a delayed reaction of nearly half a second, causing your aim to be offset. 

This is not an uncommon problem with FSP games of late. I really did not expect this in Killzone 2. I'm sure one of the major FPS titles of last year had this issue and was conplained about to such an extent that it was patched. I sure as hell hope that the same happens with Killzone as it seems like the only fault I can find, and it's a big one. I could ruin the game for me.

What are your thoughts?

I can do science me.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 62 (1,703 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 9

Playstation Staff

Re: KZ2 spoilt by look/aim control delay...

[ Edited ]
It is being looked into by GG as per US forums

long read http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=killzone2&thread.id=142208
Message Edited by Ew_Tux on 06-02-2009 02:01 PM

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 62 (1,694 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I haven't noticed that much to be honest. I know look/aiming feels more "hefty" and real, not sure I noticed a delay between my input and the actions.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 62 (1,677 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

"Hi folks,

1. I was talking to our Art Director, Jan-Bart and he reckons the controller input lag is down to the settings on your TV."

A poor workman always blames his tools.

"He recommends you turn down any post-processing settings such as:

Sharpening

Image correction and so on.

This can save you a good 2 to 3 frames of lag and should improve your overall experience.   Any other tips are appreciated."

I actually like the way my TV is set up, so no.

"2. I also suggest playing with the sensitivity of the controls settings to see if you can make it more to your liking."

I tried that and it has no effect. It doesn't matter how much you adjust it, the lag will always be the same. This is a silly suggestion!

"3. Humor me on this one.  Someone 'with' the issue, try using the controller wire instead of the bluetooth for me and tell me if you notice a difference.  Just a little test. "

Well, I haven't tried this one yet but, to be honest, I'm to far away from my PS3 for this to be a practical solution, if a solution at all so...no.

"Otherwise it might simply be down to 'getting used to it'..." 

Really? Well, yea, maybe. But that might bugger up the way you play other games as you will constantly be trying to compensate for a lag that isn't there. Besides, that is a very lazy thing to suggest (if that makes any sense).

"I'll add more suggestions as I think of them.

Note, these are simply suggestions to see if we can help make the experience better.  If we need to patch something in to sort this out we'll do so.  Not the end of the world."

Well that's a no-brainer. Clearly it needs patching. I just hope the patch is ready for release day. Yet another where I'll have to wait ages for a patch to download before I can play it.

I still love it though. It's a beautifull, well detailed and fun game. Despite this big flaw, I'd still go out and get it at midnight (had I not already preordered). 

I can do science me.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 62 (1,657 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]
I have no delay,try to spin the camera around as slow as you can,when I do it the crosshair moves instantly so for me that means no delay
Message Edited by vonhammer on 06-02-2009 02:49 PM
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 62 (1,651 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 9

Playstation Staff

Tektonik wrote:

"Hi folks,

1. I was talking to our Art Director, Jan-Bart and he reckons the controller input lag is down to the settings on your TV."

A poor workman always blames his tools.

"He recommends you turn down any post-processing settings such as:

Sharpening

Image correction and so on.

This can save you a good 2 to 3 frames of lag and should improve your overall experience.   Any other tips are appreciated."

I actually like the way my TV is set up, so no.

"2. I also suggest playing with the sensitivity of the controls settings to see if you can make it more to your liking."

I tried that and it has no effect. It doesn't matter how much you adjust it, the lag will always be the same. This is a silly suggestion!

"3. Humor me on this one.  Someone 'with' the issue, try using the controller wire instead of the bluetooth for me and tell me if you notice a difference.  Just a little test. "

Well, I haven't tried this one yet but, to be honest, I'm to far away from my PS3 for this to be a practical solution, if a solution at all so...no.

"Otherwise it might simply be down to 'getting used to it'..." 

Really? Well, yea, maybe. But that might bugger up the way you play other games as you will constantly be trying to compensate for a lag that isn't there. Besides, that is a very lazy thing to suggest (if that makes any sense).

"I'll add more suggestions as I think of them.

Note, these are simply suggestions to see if we can help make the experience better.  If we need to patch something in to sort this out we'll do so.  Not the end of the world."

Well that's a no-brainer. Clearly it needs patching. I just hope the patch is ready for release day. Yet another where I'll have to wait ages for a patch to download before I can play it.

I still love it though. It's a beautifull, well detailed and fun game. Despite this big flaw, I'd still go out and get it at midnight (had I not already preordered). 

Read further, he actually states that there is a problem, right after some one posted a vid on photobucket

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 62 (1,633 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Cant you just be happy? i mean killzone 2 is the best looking game on any console (excluding pc ofcourse since that has crysis and we know nothing beats crysis) at the moment.

I actually havnt noticed it myself so maybe it is your TV? to be honest i agree with you i doubt this is the case but you never know. If it is there and it is half a second, am sure in a split second your target isnt going to have moved dramatically anyways. If there is a split second delay then i think it just adds to the suspense and realism anyways.

I hear your point and ofcourse a quicker response would be nice in any game but if its only half a second is it really spoiling the game??

*Anthony*
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 62 (1,608 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

..If its the same online that split second could make all the difference :Wink:
I know it does on COD online anyways.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 62 (1,599 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Yeah i admit every second and split second does count online especially with COD 4. But maybe its just with that particular gun.... worth checking out other guns first, e.g. the sniper rifle of shotgun.
*Anthony*
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 62 (1,592 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

berryliker wrote:
Yeah i admit every second and split second does count online especially with COD 4. But maybe its just with that particular gun.... worth checking out other guns first, e.g. the sniper rifle of shotgun.
Perhaps I should better explain the problem. It's all to do with hand eye coordination. Let's say my aim is off to the left of a guys head by a foot, if I push right on the right analogue stick, initially, my brain wont notice that there is a delay. So between noticing that my aim is off and actually going to move the stick, my brain has to work out how long to hold right on the stick for. Add half a second on to that equation and all of a sudden, your now aiming a foot to the right of the guys head and before you know it, bang bang, your dead.

It is very hard for the brain to compensate for unknown values such as unrecognized delays. This makes the  game extremely hard to play, and also makes you look like a n00b online coz you can't hit a barn door from 10ft away. Not everyone has such trouble with these complex calculations.  Everybody has a different physiology. However, a simple way to solve the issue and bring everybody into to cohesion is simply to remove the stupid delay.
 I hope this helps.

I can do science me.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 62 (1,569 Views)
0 Kudos