By suitejudyblueyes
80%
02 Rank
Progress

MLB 09 help and tips please.

1 Reply 260 Views Created 06-02-2010
06 Feb 2010
By suitejudyblueyes

I have just got the excellent mlb 09. Its a very good game, but its also extremely diificult, especially the batting. I am playing on the rookie level and whilst i can hit the ball ok, i simply cant seem to direct it. The instructions say to use the left stick, but this seems to do absolutely nothing. Consequently whenever you hit the ball into the outfield, you tend to get caught out almost every time unless you hit a home run. Has anyone got any advice. The game itself looks marvellous. I have been after a decent baseball game for a very long time. Does anyone remember the Frank Thomas baseball game on the original playstation?

Any help with mlb 09 would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Loungefly21

41%
02 Rank
Progress
Loungefly21
Accepted Solution

Batting is not easy, but nothing in this game is easy. Start a Road to the Show game is my first tip. This starts you out on learning the controls and increasing your skills. Try as a 2nd baseman or outfielder they are the best in terms of attributes. I am playing 2nd base.

You go through games and learn the how to play and also do a lot of batting practice. When batting i always guess the pitch. I regularly guess the pitchers best pitch which is usally a 4 seam fast ball. Also I often (but not always) will try to guess an area. you do this by using the left stick after you have guessed the pitch. The reason i do this is if you guess right you know what pitch is coming by the red corners of the strike zone flashing before the pitch. If it is a fastball you can swing earlier. Also if you guess wrong you know its not going to be the pitch you guessed.

Guessing the area of the zone that the pitch will be changes your "wheelhouse" or the area you will get the best contact. So if you guess a low pitch you area of best contact will be a bit lower than the default of not guessing an area.

If you guess both the pitch and the area then you have a great chance of a safe hit. I have hit a few home runs because i have guessed both. However just because you guess right doesn't mean the pitch will still be in the zone! Use the L3 option to get an idea on your last swing info too.

Unfortunately you can only influence which side of the field you hit by your swing timing. Not with the left stick. The let stick is only used for guessing a zone area. You can though influence a ground ball or fly ball using the right stick up or down. You can also influence a bunt left or right using the right stick.

This is a great game. Good luck on the trophys too. They are very difficult to get and no one has owned up to getting the platinum yet! And MLB 10 The Show has just come out!

Let me know if you need any more help.

0 Kudos

Re: MLB 09 help and tips please.

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel