on 10-04-2012 02:15 PM
Repost of my thread over at VM forums, guess it make's more sense here. This is old info but i don't think its widely known by any means, more people should try it out.
I think PSN actively throttles devices at times because the download speed can be around 1mb/s at times which is pathetic considering most people have much better connections than this.
It could be something ISP related too, but i think if that were the case then this trick wouldn't work at all, so i've come to the conclusion that at certain times PSN slows down or caps download speeds, for whatever reason.
After doing this i was getting much better speeds, similar to what i get on my PC. You need a static IP address for this but most people with Virgin should do (if not it takes a few seconds to set a static IP, google it), and it only takes 2 minutes to setup, you just have to leave your PC on while the PSN is downloading and your downloads will be done much, much quicker - it's a fact.
1. find out your computer's ip address on your internal network - network/sharing centre in windows, e.g 192.168.0.2
2. download privoxy from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ijbswa/files/
3. install privoxy, might want to uncheck launch with windows
4. open privoxy, go to options and then edit main config
5. ctrl+f the text for any of the following
listen-address 127.0.0.1:8118 Code: # Suppose you are running Privoxy on an IPv6-capable machine and # you want it to listen on the IPv6 address of the loopback device: # # listen-address [::1]:8118 # listen-address 127.0.0.1:8118 # # # 4.2. toggle # ============ # # Specifies: # # Initial state of "toggle" status
6. change both 127 ip's to your pc's address you looked up on step 1 - leave the ports as 8118
7. save and close the text document. leave your pc running and go to the ps3
8. on ps3 go to internet connection settings, carry on as normal until you hit proxy server - choose use proxy
9. the proxy ip should be your computer's ip and the port should be 8118 like it was in the document
10. continue and then do the network test, it should succeed if you did everything right
Go to PSN store and pick a hefty download, i chose Red Dead Redemption which clocks in at 8GB and the download was flying. You don't need to do this all the time, but its perfect for large downloads.
Quick demonstration of the speed
on 10-04-2012 02:16 PM
not had that problem.
My ps3 downloads comes down at a nice rate.
Below is a Signature
on 10-04-2012 06:09 PM
Hi,I'm not tech savvy so would this work on a hauwi e586 mifi as i use wifi only for connection ?.Thanks.
YouTube PS3 companion app HD video, NA 1.04/EU 1.00 720p HD Video
( Remote access controll usage, No DS3 used... )
Website ©2013 Sony Computer Entertainment Europe