12 Mar 2012

Playstation Staff

2tb external hard drive will it work on PS3?

8 Replies 8,662 Views Created 12-03-2012

This has probably been asked a number of times. But if you can, please help. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9 (8,662 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Re: 2tb external hard drive will it work on PS3?

Yes, heres a step by step tutorial explaining how to do it http://www.wikihow.com/Add-an-External-Hard-Drive-to-a-PlayStation-3

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9 (8,634 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

yes it will work fine just remember to format in fat32 so the ps3 can read it. also partition it into about 4 to improve read/write times.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9 (8,556 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

bwhizz wrote:
yes it will work fine just remember to format in fat32 so the ps3 can read it. also partition it into about 4 to improve read/write times.

Er no you dont, if you partition the HDD you run the risk of the Partition table not allowing it to show on the PS3. At best youll only get the First FAT32 partition. 

Thats fine if you want to hide another File system from the PS3 but bad If you want to use the hole 2TB space. 

Example 320GB USB drive. 3 partitions

SB1 - 150 GB EX4 Linux boot and windows repair ( this won't show on PS3 wrong file system)

SB2 - Fat 32 76GB

SB3 - Fat 32 75GB 

Both SB2&3 are fat32 file systems only SB2 will show on PS3. SB3 will never show up... 

SCEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester. Paid for NowTV subscription user from 03/2013 to 02/2014. VM cable user, SKY+HD User, Game Capture HD II Owner. Mobile 14 inch Screen Android kit kat 4.43 user.
Pre ordered Kindle Fire TV
Don't Need DLNA with a HTML5 browser in PS4...
Click for Plex.tv Beta video running on PS4 browser.. Enable the 1080p mode
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 9 (8,554 Views)
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I know that you can use a 2TB external HDD on PS3 but does anyone know of any models that come pre-formatted in FAT32? I don't own a PC so I'd like to avoid the hassle of converting from NTFS if possible.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe."
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9 (8,545 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Not 100% sure if they still are but Western digital My book 2TB drives. DID come Fat 32 formatted.

This is because they were sold as universal USB drives... MAC OSX, LINUX and Windows ready and the only format that works like that is Fat32. (The OS have problems Writing to each others file systems other wise)

Thats a place to start looking any way untill others post and you can start looking at prices. 

SCEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester. Paid for NowTV subscription user from 03/2013 to 02/2014. VM cable user, SKY+HD User, Game Capture HD II Owner. Mobile 14 inch Screen Android kit kat 4.43 user.
Pre ordered Kindle Fire TV
Don't Need DLNA with a HTML5 browser in PS4...
Click for Plex.tv Beta video running on PS4 browser.. Enable the 1080p mode
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 9 (8,541 Views)
Level 3

Playstation Staff

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe."
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9 (8,496 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Yes .. as long its been formatted to FAT32

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9 (6,112 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

It should do the usual stuff format the external HDD to FAT32 so the PS3 picks it up

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9 (6,103 Views)
0 Kudos