10 Jun 2012

Playstation Staff
Accepted Solution

80GB Playstation 3 wont recognize SSD replacement Drive

8 Replies 2,489 Views Created 10-06-2012

So I recently downloaded a game that runs completely off the HDD. This is a fairly heavy and high end game(Runs with Unreal Technology). I quickly began playing this game and really enjoyed it. My PS3 is 5 years old almost now and it apparently decided that the best way to show its age was through its stock 80GB HDD. After long enough playing the game, it will start to skip and lag and eventually freeze. It has gotten annoying enough that I decided it was time to replace the HDD with something a little more effective/efficient and maybe ran a little cooler. I have this SSD I have owned for some time now, which I used for one of my laptops. It is an 80gig Intel X-18 1.8" high performace SSD. I went ahead and attempted to replace the old drive with this new one. To prepare for it, I:

- Formatted the SSD with FAT32

- Upgraded the SSD firware to its latest version

- Downloaded the PS3 latest system software to ensure PS3 could make its updates effortlessly

So once I did this I went ahead and replaced the drive. I turned on the system and immediately noticed a small lag on the initial "PS3" screen(the one with the lines). After about 20 seconds the system reported back with "Cannot start. The correct hard disk was not found." I am also fairly certain the disk is inserted properly. Now just in case I am wrong(which I am not) any way to check that the PS3 can see but is not accepting a HDD/SSD?

It shows this same message if I attempt to start the system in other ways too( hold the PS button till it shuts off , turn on again and hold power button until you hear two beeps)  It wont take the drive. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance. Any and all help is HIGHLY appreciated.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9 (2,489 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

Re: 80GB Playstation 3 wont recognize SSD replacement Drive

[ Edited ]

Not seeing the HDD normaly means the Drives Firmware is not compatable..

If you put the old drive back in does it see that again and reboot.

If yes that SSD Model just may not work on the PS3. Buying a USB2 caddy

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002UZO07C/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_s=lpo-to...

will answer that as if the drive still fails to show when formated to fat 32 single partition via USB2 then its firmware is not compliant with the PS3.  

When installed lnternaly all HDDs will be reformatted. (so its all about Firmware not file format), if not used on that unique PS3 before as the PS3 File structor is its own (not fat 32).

SCEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester. Paid for NowTV subscription user from 03/2013 to 02/2014. VM cable user, SKY+HD User, Game Capture HD II Owner.
Mobile 14 inch Screen Android kit kat 4.43 user. Pre ordered Kindle Fire TV
Don't Need DLNA with a HTML5 browser in PS4...
Click for Plex.tv Beta video running on PS4 browser.. Enable the 1080p mode
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9 (2,477 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Thank you very much! I will look into other options.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9 (2,452 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

A good tip if your getting a new HD for the PS3 just let the PS3 format the new drive. the problem there is that you formatted the hard-drive with fat 32. It would have worked if you had just put it in the ps3 straight away.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9 (2,340 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

tubaca01 wrote:

A good tip if your getting a new HD for the PS3 just let the PS3 format the new drive. the problem there is that you formatted the hard-drive with fat 32. It would have worked if you had just put it in the ps3 straight away.

Once again FORMAT of HDD does not matter. NTFS, HTFS, EX4, FAT 32.the PS3 will ERASE all off them.

Hardware cnnection and firmware is all the PS3 wants..   

SCEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester. Paid for NowTV subscription user from 03/2013 to 02/2014. VM cable user, SKY+HD User, Game Capture HD II Owner.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9 (2,332 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

I don't think its a good idea to use an SSD in the PS3 anyway as it was not designed to support them so it doesn't really get much benefit from it.

Worse still, as it wont use the correct partition alignment or support the trim function, the SSD WILL lag and slow down the longer you use it.

You will get better performance in the long run from a new 7200RPM HDD as its performance will not drop off over time as badly as an SSD.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9 (2,292 Views)
0 Kudos
ars
Level 3

Playstation Staff

AlexAtkinUK wrote:

You will get better performance in the long run from a new 7200RPM HDD as its performance will not drop off over time as badly as an SSD.

The person in question has an old "fat" 20-80GB model, which already have heat generation issues compared to the newer models in addition to thermal compound drying up. I'd recommend getting a reliable and cheap 5400RPM hard drive instead. Additional heat build up only makes the console die faster.

The PS3 has never been sold with a 7200RPM drive, and considering the heat buildup at least the older models never had the specs to cope with one. The drive would cost more and put strain on the console, while the performance difference would be negligible.

The HDDs get scorching hot if you're for example installing a digital 20GB download, or backing up your hard drive. Since installing additional cooling is not an option for the majority of PS3 owners, I'd rather take the safest route.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 9 (2,252 Views)
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Ps3 hard-drives are linked to their specified ps3. That could be your problem.

BF3 Stats
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9 (1,742 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

Brandono_99 wrote:

Ps3 hard-drives are linked to their specified ps3. That could be your problem.

seeing a the original poster HAD a completely blank HDD with ZERO PS3 usage data on IT.

No it would not, All HDDs will be erased/formated when put in to any PS3.   

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9 (1,735 Views)
0 Kudos