09 Jun 2012

Playstation Staff

Blu-Ray movies won't play, but games will??? HELP!

4 Replies 1,154 Views Created 09-06-2012

So a month or so ago my system gets corrupted. Sucked but I had to reformat everything and it fixed the problem. I just lost all my gaming data (was most upset my oldest daughter lost her LBP2 data she's had collected since the game came out).

Games worked, blu-ray movies worked... etc.

Well, I bought "Act of Valor" last week. Put it in and nothing. It sounds like it tries to load and reload inside the PS3 but it doesn't play. There is no disk showing or anything under the menu screen under VIDEO. Just the normal icons. I then tried other blu-ray movies, Star Wars, Super 8, etc. Nothing. They all did the exact same thing.

So I put in a game and it started right up. No problem. Took it out, put the blu-ray movie back in. Nothing, same sounds. No icon, no disk, no movie.

If there was a blu-ray laser issue, I would think it would also cause the games to not play... right? So what the heck do I do??? Just buy a Blu-Ray player and say screw the PS3? This is frustrating!

Please help!!!!!

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5 (1,154 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

Re: Blu-Ray movies won't play, but games will??? HELP!

it is the blu-ray laser problem. your ps3 laser is week that is why it now can't play blue-ray videos. sometimes it plays games and sometimes it won't. Change the laser and i am sure your issue will be solved.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5 (1,140 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Well... how does one change a blu-ray laser? I have no clue how to, no clue where to even order one from.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5 (1,136 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Before you do such a thing, have you looked into cleaning your Blu-Ray lens? 

This could help: 

http://www.game.co.uk/en/skipdr-laser-lens-cleaner-43259?pageSize=20&searchTerm=lens

I mean theres no harm in trying this before you go abouts reparing your console, if this does not work then my best bet is to send it into console docter who will fix it for you for a fee (used them myself). 

http://www.consoledoctor.co.uk/console-selection/3/ps3/

'We're not tools of the government or anyone else! Fighting was the only thing... the only thing I was good at, but... At least I always fought for what I believed in...'
Gray Fox / Frank Jaeger
'Find something to believe in. And find it for yourself. And when you do, pass it on to the future.'
SolidSnake
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5 (1,075 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I am having the same issue, i.e. evereything plays fine except  Blu-Ray movies.  What is odd, is that some movies, when inserted show up immediately in the Video list while others don't.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5 (555 Views)
0 Kudos