20 Nov 2008
Playstation Staff

Can i play region 1 dvds on my playstation

7 Replies 3,957 Views Created 20-11-2008

I was wondering i am i able to play region 1 dvds on my playstation, i know that blu ray are multi region but can i only play region 2

Cheers

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8 (3,957 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Re: Can i play region 1 dvds on my playstation

No you can't - I've tried it
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8 (3,937 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

You can play NTSC discs, but only if there are region 0. The PAL PS3 only plays regions 0 and 2. What you have said is not true about blu-ray, PAL PS3s can only play region B and obviously region free discs, its just that some state they are region A when in fact they are free of region encoding.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8 (3,938 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

You pretty much nailed it. The PS3 can play any region-free disc (the region 0 version of the film The Bounty or Babylon 5 - Lost Tales) but won't accept other regions unless dual encoded. An example of the previous is the Region 4 special editions of Tim Burton's Batman and Batman Returns which are encoded for Region 2 and 4. I think that Revenge Of The Sith is the same...
GAMES: CoD World At War, Uncharted 2, Far Cry 2, , Unreal Tournament 3, Wipeout HD Fury, Midnight Club LA, Motorstorm 1 and 2.

"My feeling is that anybody who believes in supernatural entities, that they are in communication with some sort of interventionist deity on some level is insane. Whether they believe in The Devil or God, they are simply abdicating reason." Richard Dawkins.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8 (3,871 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

TheWildWhelk wrote:
You pretty much nailed it. The PS3 can play any region-free disc (the region 0 version of the film The Bounty or Babylon 5 - Lost Tales) but won't accept other regions unless dual encoded. An example of the previous is the Region 4 special editions of Tim Burton's Batman and Batman Returns which are encoded for Region 2 and 4. I think that Revenge Of The Sith is the same...

ah... forgot about those! Cheers mate:smileyhappy:

Still, they are technically region 2:smileytongue:lol

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8 (3,863 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Hope they bring out a disc like there was for the ps2 called Region X soon
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8 (3,862 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

snake7265 wrote:
Hope they bring out a disc like there was for the ps2 called Region X soon

with the ease of FW updates, surely they could just negate the effectiveness of Region X type discs. It would suck, but I imagine it would be quite easy to do. Just like they are potentially able to lock out certain Blu-ray discs that have been copied millions of times on the internet. The potential is there, just whether they would do it or not I don't know.

That said, there are a few players on the market now which are region free and apparently are immune to FW fixes - although these are hardware changes and I don't really fancy messing about with soldering my PS3!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8 (3,846 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I know it was a question about DVD's as opposed to Blu-Rays but if you want to know what Blu-Rays are 'region free' check out:

http://www.movietyme.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=210 they test all Region 1 Blu Rays and let you know if they work on UK PS3's or not.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8 (3,833 Views)
0 Kudos