31 Mar 2009
Playstation Staff

Defragging PS3 Hard Drive

[ Edited ]
7 Replies 1,420 Views edited 31-03-2009
Recently I have upgraded my PS3 hard drive to a 320GB unit.After seeing how fragmented the files are on my laptop with its 120GB hard drive I was wondering about the state of the one in the PS3.Does the PS3 automatically defragment the HD or does it just not bother? I think it would be a good idea for Sony to introduce a defragging program you can access in the XMB if it doesnt do it automatically.With the PS3 being a mulitmedia hub and with people adding larger HD's I should imagine that defragmented files will really slow it down eventually.
Message Edited by Brenster on 31-03-2009 04:31 PM
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8 (1,420 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

Re: Defragging PS3 Hard Drive

[ Edited ]

The PS3's operating system is very similar to Linux and as such doesn't become fragmented or need defragging. Only Windows stores data on a hard drive in such a half arsed way that de-fragging is required.

I've had my PS3 for over two years and the hard drive still accesses data at the same speed it always has.

Message Edited by PFC_Hudson on 31-03-2009 04:48 PM
Message 2 of 8 (1,442 Views)
Level 5

Playstation Staff

PFC_Hudson has nailed it on the head here, the file structure is different from the run of the mill formats windows uses and thus doesnt fragment.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8 (1,386 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Thats good to know thanks for the heads up.It does make you wonder why Windoze doesnt use the same method instead of having to sit for ages while the defragmenter is running.I never got rid of XP if they have implemented it recently in Vista.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8 (1,348 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

Its down to the file system which windows uses (I think, I'm no expert tbh). NTFS which windows uses is quite prone for becoming fragmented. The PS3 uses a completely different file system (probably more similar to what Linux systems use) and which are less susceptible 

Also the PS3 is used quite differently than a PC. There isn't as much moving files from one location to another, or installing and uninstalling different programs, hence less chance of files becoming defragmented.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8 (1,340 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I have OCD so im always organising and moving files like music and pics.I also install quite a few demos and then remove old ones as I dont like to have them lying about.With the file system not fragmenting though thats not a problem which is really cool as I defrag the laptop HD once a week.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8 (1,335 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

If you class that as OCD then i must just go OTT with it. I clear all messages daily including sent and received, i clear off any games i dont need anymore including both purchased and demos depending on the play-quality and i remove the odd movie or music track if need be. I also discovered that multiple ps3 accounts wastes quite alot of space as well due to repeating of files, or i think it does as i removed a few useless accounts and seemed to free up alot of space. But yeah, back to topic, my ps3 has never really slowed down at all when moving around and opening files, but within Windows my computer does slow down quite alot which needs defragging, i'd recommend defragging once a month even though i do it daily due to downloading and installing new files.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8 (1,294 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]
Ive never recieved any messages on the PS3 or sent any and I dont have anybody on the friends list etc.I dont like multiplayer gaming I prefer the solo experience always have.The only reason I go online with the PS3 is to download demos,themes,wallpaper and the occasional PS1 classic.I do download a fair bit of stuff though and I have a lot of MP3's on the HD.Going back to the message side of things I constantly clear (hourly) old text messages off my phone and at the same time I always have to erase the log at the same time.With phones not having hard drives I shouldnt imagine they need defragging either as I have about 24GB of storage on that but thats another story.
Message Edited by Brenster on 01-04-2009 08:11 AM
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8 (1,236 Views)
0 Kudos