15 Nov 2010
Playstation Staff

Demanding exFAT support, removing 4GB limit for USB drives (ppl please sign under)

22 Replies 8,545 Views Created 15-11-2010

Hey Sony,

Why PS3 still does not support exFAT, which is now default FS format for external USB drives in Windows, it is also supported by Mac OS X now. And finally this FS format removes 4GB limit, which is really painful if you want to playback any HD video content (like one made by Sony camera) taking longer than 1h.

I just found the news stating that MS granted you license for using exFAT: http://www.techspot.com/news/37297-microsoft-licenses-exfat-file-system-to-sony-others.html

So this is just lack of will from you for adding support for the firmware. Just please try to search for "exFAT" on these forums, you will find so many people complaining.

To everyone wanting exFAT support. Please sign under this post.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 23 (8,545 Views)
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Re: Demanding exFAT support, removing 4GB limit for USB drives (ppl please sign under)

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 23 (8,471 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Re: Demanding exFAT support, removing 4GB limit for USB drives (ppl please sign under)

Pain in the butt this is, limited to 4GB on ext HDD in 2010, what the heck. Family in South Africa sent media with HD film on it, cant transfer to fat32 drive as it is 11GB. Come on SONY, get real, 4GB is just not enough, update firmware to support exfat and make many people very happy.More people with HD cams than 3D televisions !!!

Gazbaz

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 23 (8,458 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Huh? What?
I plug in my 500GB HDD, pre-formatted in fat32 in Mac OSX with a boot-partition, and my PS3 can see every bit and byte of that drive. I've done that since my first PS3 in 2008.
What exactly is the problem or are people accidentally clicking "format in FAT" instead of FAT32?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 23 (8,339 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

It's a FILE size limit. 4GB is the largest file you can have on FAT32.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 23 (8,335 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

Sony seam to think that Ethernet 1Gb/s transfers should be enough via DLNA or Web browser
But USB HDD are to cheap over here. were as the 1Gb/s routers have remained high in cost. That's an other regional difference that's looks like it's never going to be over come. Sending files physically does not seam to be done in japan. Transfer via internet only. geuss that's easy with high speed upload broadband they have.
SCEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester. Paid for NowTV subscription user from 03/2013 to 02/2014. VM cable user, SKY+HD User, Game Capture HD II Owner. Mobile 14 inch Screen Android kit kat 4.43 user.
Pre ordered Kindle Fire TV
Don't Need DLNA with a HTML5 browser in PS4...
Click for Plex.tv Beta video running on PS4 browser.. Enable the 1080p mode
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 23 (8,325 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

i have an 300 gig external hdd formated to fat 32  use this program EASEUS partition

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 23 (6,381 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I definitely agree!
I have wanted this feature ever since I got my PS3 (one of the original 60Gig models)

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 23 (5,515 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

Don't demand and you might get something. Btw, why is it that there are so many members posting their first posts in this thread? And why do several of these look like trolls/spambots?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 23 (5,483 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Yes, please.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 23 (3,878 Views)
0 Kudos