Playstation Staff

Re: Demanding exFAT support, removing 4GB limit for USB drives (ppl please sign under)

Didn't have a reason to post to the forum before now. This is inaugural post worthy.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 23 (1,582 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Re: Demanding exFAT support, removing 4GB limit for USB drives (ppl please sign under)

Yep, you got my support!!!!

Been dealing with this problem for a while...:smileysad:

SO COME ON SONY... Hurry and give us what we all been waiting for.... Please... :$

Best option for now is to hook up my HDD's (exfat & HFS+) to my mac en stream with ethernet (Homeplug Sitecom) to my PS3 (MediaServer) 

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 23 (1,506 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

PLEASE!
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 23 (1,464 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I'm on board with this, too.  

ExFAT is the perfect filesystem for external drives.  It's OS-agnostic and will work fine with Windows, MacOS, Linux, etc. with no 3rd party plugins needed.  

There's no reason why a modern console, *ahem* "ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM" even, should only support external media with an archaic 4GB filesize cap!  If we can't get HFS+ or NTFS, at least give us this.  Actually, preferably give us this.

It's 2011.  Wake up.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 23 (1,346 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

so this is why my 6gb usb flash drive doesnt work :smileysad:

i plugged it into the PC works fine, plugged it into my car stereo, works fine, plugged it into my ps3, nothing happened, doesnt even recognise that a usb drive has been plugged in

so either i have to buy another usb under 4gb or sony are gonna have to support flash drives over 4gb
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 23 (1,321 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

Err, no - you have the wrong end of the stick. The fat32 limit refers to FILE size, not DEVICE size. If your flash drive doesn't work in your ps3, it could be that it is not fat32 formated, or it just might be that the ps3 doesn't like it.
The ps3 is capable of handling any size usb device, as long as it is fat32 formatted. It's just that it sticks it's nose up at some flash drives :smileywink:
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 23 (1,318 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

humm, thats odd, its a decnet enough flash drive, verbatium are normally good
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 23 (1,315 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

i use both a 8GB and a 16GB usb sticks. copy alot from play tv so im well away of the 4GB limit lucky that most movies are only around 3 half gig so most of the time its fine but some very long movies just dont work just get one of the error codes.

i cant see sony allow the exFAT as this could leave to more games being hacked & copyed more easyer.

no one should have any problem with a hd as this runs from a sata. this hits FAT/USB copy problem.   

FREE MMO AT GAMIGO ...pirate galaxy...levelR top games. pc only...
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 23 (1,285 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

The 4GB limit is in reference to the maximum file size that can be stored on a FAT32 formatted drive. Using exFAT would resolve this issue as its maximum file size is 10 billion GB (roughly) and is compatible with both Mac OS X and MS Windows

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 23 (1,221 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

I support your call, but I don't have very many files that are 4GB in size, the only one I could think of would be a very good quality blu-ray.

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 23 (1,195 Views)
0 Kudos