Reply
Want to join in?

Sign in to continue

I have a PSN account

Welcome back!

I'm new!

it only takes a minute or two

  • 20

    New messages in the last hour

  • Get a response within minutes

  • 92%

    92% percent of messages responded to

12 Dec 2008
By Kazzeone

Kazzeone

  • Offline
60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Difference between HD Ready & Full HD?

30 Replies 1,992 Views Created 12-12-2008
what's the difference of them when it comes to ps3 playing? :P
0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
05
/16

whereismax123

  • Offline
84%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
whereismax123
Accepted Solution

to be honest it all depends on the game and the size of your tv . eg metal gear at 720p looks 10 million time better than prince of persia at 1080p purely becuase the graphics are so much better

 

in a nut sheel hd ready means 720p 1080i . while full hd means 1080 p and really will give the best picture possible. only a handfull of games support it . and in my eyes gt5 and wipeout are the majors (due to reasons above )

Message Edited by whereismax123 on 12-12-2008 03:13 PM
0 Kudos

Re: Difference between HD Ready & Full HD?

[ Edited ]
Free Image Hosting


02
/16

Kazzeone

  • Offline
60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Kazzeone
Accepted Solution

Ok, thanks :)

 

is it easy to see the difference between 720p/1080i against 1080p? :p

0 Kudos

Re: Difference between HD Ready & Full HD?

02
/16

Ikkarus

  • Offline
88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Ikkarus
Accepted Solution

Kazzeone wrote:

Ok, thanks :)

 

is it easy to see the difference between 720p/1080i against 1080p? :p


Depends on the size of the TV to be honest.

0 Kudos

Re: Difference between HD Ready & Full HD?

02
/16

Totoro1979

  • Offline
80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Totoro1979
Accepted Solution

'HD Ready' effectively means a TV that must support a minimum specification of 720p, that is 720 lines of vertical resolution (usually 720 x 1280), amongst other things.

 

'Full HD' effectively means a TV that support 1080p, that is 1080 lines of vertical resolution (usually 1080 x 1920), amongst other things.

 

For gaming, obviously the higher the resolution the more effort the PS3 is having to put in to display everything and hold graphics in memory etc.

 

As has been stated, there are fine examples where  720p is a better choice because the amount of graphical detail and fluidity of movement is much easier to coax out of the PS3's hardware than running it at 1080p. For movie playback of Blu-rays etc though, the hardware can handle the playback fine, so it makes sense that 1080p is the standard whenever possible.

 

More info on the difference between HD Ready and Full HD: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hd_ready 

0 Kudos

Re: Difference between HD Ready & Full HD?

Beta Tester
03
/16

grobbie

  • Beta Tester
  • Offline
90%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
grobbie
Accepted Solution
there is a massive difference between hd and full hd trust me ive seen it ,,get a 1080p tv and tell me otherwise the difference is huge..
0 Kudos

Re: Difference between HD Ready & Full HD?

02
/16

Orophil

  • Offline
84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Orophil
Accepted Solution

Just to confuse matters, HDTV manufacturers are now branding their 1080p sets as HD Ready -1080p on recent sets.

I think the Full HD badge has now been dropped by alot of manufacturers.

0 Kudos

Re: Difference between HD Ready & Full HD?

02
/16

Kazzeone

  • Offline
60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Kazzeone
Accepted Solution

Ok, i think im gonna buy a hd ready one.. i cant spend very much cash (not more than £600)

i'm gonna get a 27/32" one.. any suggestions? :)

Message Edited by Kazzeone on 12-12-2008 06:46 PM
0 Kudos

Re: Difference between HD Ready & Full HD?

[ Edited ]
03
/16

herotoozero

  • Offline
96%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
herotoozero
Accepted Solution

27/32" you have no real need for 1080p as the quality difference between 720p and 1080p below monster screens 50" and above is negligible.

 

just stick to a quality brand such as sony or panasonic (pioneer if its in your budget) and get one you like most.

 

people who say 1080p is a vast improvement over 720p on say a 32"panel are either misinformed or just lying (i currently have a 42" panasonic viera 1080p,but have had a few 32" 720p sets in the past.

Message Edited by herotoozero on 12-12-2008 06:55 PM
0 Kudos

Re: Difference between HD Ready & Full HD?

[ Edited ]
04
/16

Squiddles

  • Offline
91%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Squiddles
Accepted Solution

if you want a good quality tv at an affordable price look at samsung (they use sony components). their sound isn't great but if you've got a home conema setup that shouldn't matter plus they have fully customisable settings and a game mode already set up.

 

other than that i would look at lg cos their systems are pretty well setup. Avoid sony to be honest as you're paying a p[remium for the name.

 

for best prices look at amazon after checking out the actual set in  currys/comet (you can normally save about £100 through amazon).

0 Kudos

Re: Difference between HD Ready & Full HD?

02
/16

Ikkarus

  • Offline
88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Ikkarus
Accepted Solution

There are a few 1080p 32" Tv's about.

 

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/5320504/Samsung-Series-5-32-LE32A559-HD-1080p-Freevie...

 

Not a bad TV but like many have said you may not even experience the real 1080p experience on a 32" TV but it doesn't hurt to have a 1080p TV.

0 Kudos

Re: Difference between HD Ready & Full HD?

02
/16

pureg

  • Offline
80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
pureg
Accepted Solution

Ikkarus wrote:

There are a few 1080p 32" Tv's about.

 

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/5320504/Samsung-Series-5-32-LE32A559-HD-1080p-Freevie...

 

Not a bad TV but like many have said you may not even experience the real 1080p experience on a 32" TV but it doesn't hurt to have a 1080p TV.


or if you sit dam close to the TV you will get the full benefit

0 Kudos

Re: Difference between HD Ready & Full HD?

PS3, Wii , 360 , Gaming PC
Now this is living
02
/16

Pontipine

  • Offline
80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Pontipine
Accepted Solution

pureg wrote:

Ikkarus wrote:

There are a few 1080p 32" Tv's about.

 

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/5320504/Samsung-Series-5-32-LE32A559-HD-1080p-Freevie...

 

Not a bad TV but like many have said you may not even experience the real 1080p experience on a 32" TV but it doesn't hurt to have a 1080p TV.


or if you sit dam close to the TV you will get the full benefit


 

Nice chart, but it looks a bit compressed (and diagonal is spelt wrong!), is there a source for the original version?

 

0 Kudos

Re: Difference between HD Ready & Full HD?

-----
Let me list all the games I've bought so that you'll all be impressed...
02
/16

Pontipine

  • Offline
80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Pontipine
Accepted Solution

Forget that, I found it myself easily enough.

 

0 Kudos

Re: Difference between HD Ready & Full HD?

-----
Let me list all the games I've bought so that you'll all be impressed...
02
/16

shawty1984

  • Offline
88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
shawty1984
Accepted Solution

herotoozero wrote:

27/32" you have no real need for 1080p as the quality difference between 720p and 1080p below monster screens 50" and above is negligible.

 

just stick to a quality brand such as sony or panasonic (pioneer if its in your budget) and get one you like most.

 

people who say 1080p is a vast improvement over 720p on say a 32"panel are either misinformed or just lying (i currently have a 42" panasonic viera 1080p,but have had a few 32" 720p sets in the past.

Message Edited by herotoozero on 12-12-2008 06:55 PM

 

False, false and again, false. You do know you can get the likes of 22" computer monitors that are 1080p dont you? 1080p at 32" or 37" looks gorgeous, much better than 720p, this is because of viewing distance. Who ever told you otherwise, has no clue what they are talking about.
0 Kudos

Re: Difference between HD Ready & Full HD?

03
/16

herotoozero

  • Offline
96%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
herotoozero
Accepted Solution

shawty1984 wrote:

herotoozero wrote:

27/32" you have no real need for 1080p as the quality difference between 720p and 1080p below monster screens 50" and above is negligible.

 

just stick to a quality brand such as sony or panasonic (pioneer if its in your budget) and get one you like most.

 

people who say 1080p is a vast improvement over 720p on say a 32"panel are either misinformed or just lying (i currently have a 42" panasonic viera 1080p,but have had a few 32" 720p sets in the past.

Message Edited by herotoozero on 12-12-2008 06:55 PM

 

False, false and again, false. You do know you can get the likes of 22" computer monitors that are 1080p dont you? 1080p at 32" or 37" looks gorgeous, much better than 720p, this is because of viewing distance. Who ever told you otherwise, has no clue what they are talking about.

lol

 

we are not talking about monitors with completely different panels and uses. For a start pc monitors run at way higher res and if you want to site 12 inches away from it and let the family huddle round then carry on.

 

as stated in my post i have been lucky enough to own 720 and 1080 sets of different screen sizes (along with a LOT of pc monitors) and the difference under 42" between 720 and 1080 is negligible.

 

if you feel the need to flame or spout cr8p then at least be slightly informed of what you are talking about...comparing a pc monitor to a family tv set is just ridiculous.

0 Kudos

Re: Difference between HD Ready & Full HD?

Beta Tester
03
/16

grobbie

  • Beta Tester
  • Offline
90%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
grobbie
Accepted Solution
well trust me the difference in picture quality from 720p or 1080i on a 42" tv compared to a 1080p full hd is that the  full 1080p tv is miles better picture quality ive seen it with my own eyes ..
0 Kudos

Re: Difference between HD Ready & Full HD?

03
/16

herotoozero

  • Offline
96%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
herotoozero
Accepted Solution

im just going to give in here,as i cant be bothered to trawl sites to produce facts.

 

i think the big issue here is CONGRATULATIONS you have a 1080p tv (as do i),and have somehow conned yourself that 1080 is giving superior quality than that of a 720 set in anything under 50" in any meaningful way other than sitting 6 inches away with a microscope.

Message Edited by herotoozero on 17-12-2008 05:06 PM
0 Kudos

Re: Difference between HD Ready & Full HD?

[ Edited ]
02
/16

shawty1984

  • Offline
88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
shawty1984
Accepted Solution

herotoozero wrote:

im just going to give in here,as i cant be bothered to trawl sites to produce facts.

 

i think the big issue here is CONGRATULATIONS you have a 1080p tv (as do i),and have somehow conned yourself that 1080 is giving superior quality than that of a 720 set in anything under 50" in any meaningful way other than sitting 6 inches away with a microscope.

Message Edited by herotoozero on 17-12-2008 05:06 PM

 

Being 'stupid' in your post and cracking meaningless jokes is about right for someone who has lost an arguement.

1080p is fine for under 50" TV's aslong as you sit the correct distance from the TV, which is about 4 foot from a 32", which is a reasonable viewing distance for a small bedroom.
0 Kudos

Re: Difference between HD Ready & Full HD?

03
/16

herotoozero

  • Offline
96%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
herotoozero
Accepted Solution

so basically bottom line is there isnt that much of a difference between 1080 and 720 like i first stated?

 

if your one of these taken in by the sales pitch and marketing spiel on how 1080p is soo much superior to 720p on ANY screen,then maybe its you that shouldent be dishing advice on someone about to spend 200-1000 on a tv.

 

as for losing an argument,the op never mentioned where he was viewing it was you that had to invent hypothetical scenarios to add weight to your argument. :)

 

 

0 Kudos

Re: Difference between HD Ready & Full HD?

02
/16

shawty1984

  • Offline
88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
shawty1984
Accepted Solution

herotoozero wrote:

so basically bottom line is there isnt that much of a difference between 1080 and 720 like i first stated?

 

if your one of these taken in by the sales pitch and marketing spiel on how 1080p is soo much superior to 720p on ANY screen,then maybe its you that shouldent be dishing advice on someone about to spend 200-1000 on a tv.

 

as for losing an argument,the op never mentioned where he was viewing it was you that had to invent hypothetical scenarios to add weight to your argument. :)

 

 


 

No, you need your eyes testing, or you just cant see it, but there is quite a big difference between 720p and 1080p on TV's under 50", going down to 32" and even 22" monitors.

Ive not been taken in by any sales pitch, maybe you need to move back a little bit and just think about what your saying  and actually look at how many pixels difference there is between a 720p screen and a 1080p screen. Just because you cant see much difference, doesnt mean anyone else cant.

I think you will find if you had any knowledge what so ever in this feild that viewing distance is about the most important thing you need to consider when buying a HD TV. By the way, there was no arguement, you bascically lost it when you opened your mouth about the 'magic' 50" mark of were, for some reason, you think 1080p TV's suddenly shine over 720p TV's
0 Kudos

Re: Difference between HD Ready & Full HD?

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel