Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: Does the ps3 upscale normal dvds to 1080???

Weather or not you notice a difference will ultimatly depend on how good the upscaler in your TV is to start with.

If you feed your TV a standard 720x576 signal from a DVD then before the TV can display it the TV has to upscale it to the panels resolution ie 1920x1080.

However if you set your PS3 to upscale the DVD then the TV will recieve a signal thats already at the panels resolution (1920x1080) and the TV wont need to upscale it.

Now the important part is which has the best upscaler the PS3 or the TV. The upscaler in my Samsung TV is rubbish so I get a much better picture by letting the PS3 do the upscaling where as it sound like your TV's upscaler is just as good if not better than the PS3's so thats why you don't notice a difference.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 22 (9,010 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Yes it does upscale to 1080p and does so really well. Looks alot better than those upscaling dvd players you can buy.

I will always use the ps3 as a home entertainment/gaming/music/internet hub. Love the ps3, just hoping that it will never yellow light. 80gb since august 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.thezeitgeistmovement.com
www.thevenusproject.com
:Angel:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 22 (8,990 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Yes the slim does upscale but it doesnt do it anywhere near as good as the old 60GB models. Which if im honest nearly upscaled dvds upto the same quality as a blu ray, im not kidding it was that good.

You got a pretty mouth!!!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 22 (9,027 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

There is no difference in upscaling quality between the old fat PS3 and the slim.

Slim Review

Very last paragraph says there identical, and theres no reason they shouldn't be.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 22 (9,025 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

AJTRIX2 wrote:

Yes the slim does upscale but it doesnt do it anywhere near as good as the old 60GB models. Which if im honest nearly upscaled dvds upto the same quality as a blu ray, im not kidding it was that good.

That's one thing that irks me a serious amount, when people try to make out upscaled content is as good as native HD content, especially Blu-ray.

It's just not.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 22 (8,980 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

James91 wrote:

AJTRIX2 wrote:

That's one thing that irks me a serious amount, when people try to make out upscaled content is as good as native HD content, especially Blu-ray.

It's just not.

So true, Upscaling is basically stretching the video to fit to the native resolution of the screen, where as a video intended for that native resolution will always will look better.

Yeah I'm going Tokyo Game Show 2010 & Eurogamer Expo (Friday). :smileywink:
Facebook Me - Check Out My Modnation Mods
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 22 (8,942 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Super--Brad wrote:

James91 wrote:

AJTRIX2 wrote:

It's just not.

So true, Upscaling is basically stretching the video to fit to the native resolution of the screen, where as a video intended for that native resolution will always will look better.

I would not call it basically stretching the image. Have you ever seen an upscaled image versus a stretched image?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 22 (8,898 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Yes it does, obviously you could get a better picture by watching they Blu Ray version, but it can upscale DVD to 1080P and it looks lovely but go for native where you can :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 22 (8,884 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

Note: only upscales via HMDI connection.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Muz_55: MAG Raven Lvl 60/ with Mic : currently trying out diff Loadouts.
Muz_55a: MAG Valor Lvl 52/ with Mic: getting used to being the underdog !
TK and VTK are killing this game - zipper please do something ASAP !
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 22 (8,735 Views)
0 Kudos