[rich999]

80%
01 Rank
Progress

High definition cable?

35 Replies 915 Views Created 01-09-2007
01 Sep 2007
By [rich999]
Hi all, i just purchased a large TV (Sony KDL W40A12U, 40"). The people there had the xbox - there were like 6 cables connected to fully show off the HD. But from the playstation i can only see 3 cables (white, yellow and red). Is there a type of cable that i can purchase to fully use the HD? If so, can someone give me alink? cheers.
0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

[ironak]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
[ironak]
Accepted Solution
What you need is a HDMI Cable I brought mine form here: http://www.richersounds.com/productlist.php?cda=productlist&sgroup=HDMIDVI&sort=price
0 Kudos

Re: High definition cable?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

TheOrion

• Beta Tester
92%
09 Rank
Progress
TheOrion
Accepted Solution
Yeah hdmi cable will do nicely, or there is always the option of a component cable
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

[rich999]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
[rich999]
Accepted Solution
thx, theres all types of different ones therte though, ranging from £20 to £200 - i have no idea which would be the better option? Which one did you go for? and could u let me know what a "component cable" maybe? cheers
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

[TheAssassin]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
[TheAssassin]
Accepted Solution
just get officail sony HDMI ps3 1s from play.com there under £20 so grab it like i did
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

TheOrion

• Beta Tester
92%
09 Rank
Progress
TheOrion
Accepted Solution
thx, theres all types of different ones therte though, ranging from £20 to £200 - i have no idea which would be the better option? Which one did you go for? and could u let me know what a "component cable" maybe? cheers

Well when I bought my ps3 I purchased this hdmi cable
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000N8UYKU/202-7306761-7081452

I've had no issues with it ghosting like some other cables have been reported to do.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

scotty1972

60%
02 Rank
Progress
scotty1972
Accepted Solution
0 Kudos

Eclipsed4utoo.com
Want your Warhawk Stat Signature? Click on mine.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

[rich999]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
[rich999]
Accepted Solution
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

[ENNO]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
[ENNO]
Accepted Solution
This is the component cable does the same as hdmi http://www.amazon.co.uk/Playstation-Component-Cable-Lead-Speedlink/dp/B000P5WYM2

WRONG!!with HDMI you can upscale you normal DVD's and PS1 and 2 games up to 1080p in high def....so HDMI is better all around!!
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

vertago

92%
02 Rank
Progress
vertago
Accepted Solution
You can get a hdmi cabel in any electrical store,there sold by length longer the length the more expensivel the cabel, price around 10 quid up. By the way you can only get true hd through a hdmi cabel not through composites/components, that's why Microsoft are adding hdmi to the xbox/elete.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

[01ashley]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
[01ashley]
Accepted Solution
By the way you can only get true hd through a hdmi cabel not through composites/components, that's why Microsoft are adding hdmi to the xbox/elete. Thats because they purposley crippled the ps3, all Blu-ray players output 1080p through component.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

bigugly

60%
02 Rank
Progress
bigugly
Accepted Solution
Thats because they purposley crippled the ps3, all Blu-ray players output 1080p through component.

Its not crippling its protecting a 1080p signal trough component can be copied very easily.
And Blu-Ray players will do 1080p via component but not protected content like movies.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

[01ashley]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
[01ashley]
Accepted Solution
Its not crippling its protecting a 1080p signal trough component can be copied very easily. And Blu-Ray players will do 1080p via component but not protected content like movies. Yes they do output movies in 1080p through component. I should know as I have one. So yes it is crippling not protecting. If they wanted to protect they could just enable ict which would reduce the resolution of movies through component to 960x540.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

bigugly

60%
02 Rank
Progress
bigugly
Accepted Solution
Yes they do output movies in 1080p through component. I should know as I have one. So yes it is crippling not protecting. If they wanted to protect they could just enable ict which would reduce the resolution of movies through component to 960x540.

I think you'll find its part of the blu-ray specs not to allow 1080p over component and it should only allow 1080i.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

[01ashley]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
[01ashley]
Accepted Solution
I think you'll find its part of the blu-ray specs not to allow 1080p over component and it should only allow 1080i. No it isn't. I'd like to see you find one source that says that because I have no idea where you are getting your information from. A movie output at 1080i is the same as 1080p because both fields are combined to give a perfect 1080p frame by the tv, so it would make no sense whatsoever to limit component to 1080i.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

vertago

92%
02 Rank
Progress
vertago
Accepted Solution
Im not going to argue when I know Im right, unplug your compossits etc connect hdmi and look END OFF ,,,,,,,,,THE FACT IS YOU CAN ONLY GET TRUE HD THROUGH HDMI. youve got a hd tv use the cables that came with the ps3 ,, now swop them and use the hdmi .................... :rolleyes:
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

[01ashley]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
[01ashley]
Accepted Solution
Im not going to argue when I know Im right, unplug your compossits etc connect hdmi and look END OFF ,,,,,,,,,THE FACT IS YOU CAN ONLY GET TRUE HD THROUGH HDMI. youve got a hd tv use the cables that came with the ps3 ,, now swop them and use the hdmi .................... :rolleyes: Try reading the thread before posting because you are making no sense whatsoever. No one ever said you were wrong. I said the ps3 was crippled so you can only get 1080p through hdmi, but blu-ray players can output 1080p through vga and component.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

bigugly

60%
02 Rank
Progress
bigugly
Accepted Solution
http://www.cepro.com/article/cea_puts_kibosh_on_1080p_over_component/K292

Like I said its just not allowed.

And as for the ict thing its optional so a film from one studio may allow it to be viewed downscaled over analog but another might not so the only way for Sony to make sure all films will play is to say you have to use HDMI
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Alias_NeO

41%
02 Rank
Progress
Alias_NeO
Accepted Solution
To the OP, just get a HDMI cable, whether or not component will do the job, HDMI is simpler, and cleaner, get one as cheap as you can, go on ebayor something, whatever, as long as the build quality is acceptable, the rest doesn't matter, it won't effect picture quality. I got my first cable for £1.74, granted it's actually a high quality cable that i was lucky to get far far below it's real price, but my second cable was of lesser quality, shorter and cost 4 times as much. Just look for the length you need, on the whole the qualityo f them doesn't matter too much if you're going short distance.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

[rich999]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
[rich999]
Accepted Solution
Well, i got the Playstation 3 cable and it doesnt work, or at least i cant get the connection sorted. All i can do is use the original scart, connect those up from the new cable, and then ive connected the 3 new cables in the TV - and it does nothing better at all. i cannot change the settings in the menu in the playstation. Or is there some way to do this?

otherwise, i will try this HDMI cable. There are many types - http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_**_w_h_/026-9156304-4103636?initialSearch=1&url=search-alias%3Daps&... anyone used one of these from amazon? If so, i will purchase one of those! :)

Such a pain not to be able to use this great new TV and the P3 properly.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Alias_NeO

41%
02 Rank
Progress
Alias_NeO
Accepted Solution
Well, i got the Playstation 3 cable and it doesnt work, or at least i cant get the connection sorted. All i can do is use the original scart, connect those up from the new cable, and then ive connected the 3 new cables in the TV - and it does nothing better at all. i cannot change the settings in the menu in the playstation. Or is there some way to do this? otherwise, i will try this HDMI cable. There are many types - http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_**_w_h_/026-9156304-4103636?initialSearch=1&url=search-alias%3Daps&... anyone used one of these from amazon? If so, i will purchase one of those! :) Such a pain not to be able to use this great new TV and the P3 properly. You need to be a bit more clear on what you mean by PS3 cable, there are countless connection methods, name the connection type, S-Vid, Component, RGB, HDMI etc. Get any of those cables from amazon, the cheapest will do, I hae that 50p one but you will be paying another 4 quid for delivery so go cheap as you can for the right length cable, quality doesn't make any difference. Apart from the build quality it self. I can't imagine why you wouldn't be able to change the settings from the menu, you do know how it works right? Up/Down to select the output type, then press right for more options, then right etc until the end then press X to confirm.
0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel