80%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

High definition cable?

35 Replies 862 Views Created 01-09-2007
Hi all, i just purchased a large TV (Sony KDL W40A12U, 40"). The people there had the xbox - there were like 6 cables connected to fully show off the HD. But from the playstation i can only see 3 cables (white, yellow and red). Is there a type of cable that i can purchase to fully use the HD? If so, can someone give me alink? cheers.
0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

[rich999]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
[rich999]
Accepted Solution
well heres what i got connected now -

Y - Green cable
PB/CB - Blue Cable
PR/CR - Red cable

They seem to do absolutely nothing. Im now back to the original scar cable of White, yellow and red.

There are 2 other cable sockets - White, L/G/S/I and Red, R/D/D/D makes no difference. I have then tried with the different types of settings - none of them work. The TV just goes blank for 30 secs.
0 Kudos

Re: High definition cable?

/16

Alias_NeO

41%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Alias_NeO
Accepted Solution
well heres what i got connected now - Y - Green cable PB/CB - Blue Cable PR/CR - Red cable They seem to do absolutely nothing. Im now back to the original scar cable of White, yellow and red. There are 2 other cable sockets - White, L/G/S/I and Red, R/D/D/D makes no difference. I have then tried with the different types of settings - none of them work. The TV just goes blank for 30 secs. Ok, connect the component cable back up, Red/Green/Blue, turn on your TV and put it on "Component". Turn on PS3 by holding the power button for 10 seconds. This resets the TV output and it should now display. If this doesn't work come back for a work around.
0 Kudos

/16

[rich999]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
[rich999]
Accepted Solution
How does one manage to turn your TV to "Component" exactly please?
0 Kudos

/16

Alias_NeO

41%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Alias_NeO
Accepted Solution
How does one manage to turn your TV to "Component" exactly please? I don't know, it depends entirely on what TV you have, but it's usually to do with "input" or "source" and there is normally a dedicated button both on the TV and on the remote. Surely you know how to change sources if you have a HDTV?
0 Kudos

/16

[rich999]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
[rich999]
Accepted Solution
aha! Im getting there now.....i just flicked through the channels (had been using the GAME" setting) and came across AV4 - with Playstation screen on......now, tried to alter and managed to 750, and looks ten times better! No sound yet, but really is so much better.....
0 Kudos

/16

Alias_NeO

41%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Alias_NeO
Accepted Solution
aha! Im getting there now.....i just flicked through the channels (had been using the GAME" setting) and came across AV4 - with Playstation screen on......now, tried to alter and managed to 750, and looks ten times better! No sound yet, but really is so much better..... Hehe, well, component doesn't output sound, you need to connect the Red and White too, or use an optical cable. And what you mean 750? You mean 720p?
0 Kudos

/16

[rich999]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
[rich999]
Accepted Solution
yeah thats it, have replaced the cable to a different socket and now work well!
0 Kudos

/16

[rich999]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
[rich999]
Accepted Solution
also, now got 1080i on the screen with sound - much, much better! thanks all :) :gr8:
0 Kudos

/16

Alias_NeO

41%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Alias_NeO
Accepted Solution
also, now got 1080i on the screen with sound - much, much better! thanks all :) :gr8: You're welcome.:gr8:
0 Kudos

/16

[rich999]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
[rich999]
Accepted Solution
oOne last thing! 1080i doesnt seem to do much, and for whatever reason the TV will not allow 1080p. Anythinh ese i can do? also, would this be even better cable perhaps? http://uk.playstation.com/ps3/hardware/accessories/detail/item48459/HDMI-Cable-(3-metres)/
0 Kudos

/16

madgamerze

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
madgamerze
Accepted Solution
PS3 can only output 1080p through HDMI, if you TV supports 1080p that is. I recommend upgrading to HDMI for that, and also it lets you upscale DVDs to 1080p which doesn't work with component :) So yes, that cable is what you want, but you can get smaller lenghts (1.2m is fine) for cheaper, shop around :)
0 Kudos

/16

[rich999]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
[rich999]
Accepted Solution
i just checked through the TV remote -

HDMI IN 5
Video: 1080i, 720p, 576i, 480i

So doesnt look like my TV has 1080p, although i have 1080i. Can anyone tell me what the difference is - 1080i or 1080p? Guess it wouldnt be worth buying the next cable......
0 Kudos

/16

Alias_NeO

41%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Alias_NeO
Accepted Solution
i just checked through the TV remote - HDMI IN 5 Video: 1080i, 720p, 576i, 480i So doesnt look like my TV has 1080p, although i have 1080i. Can anyone tell me what the difference is - 1080i or 1080p? Guess it wouldnt be worth buying the next cable...... 1080p is significantly faster (double the refresh) because it displays the frame line by line "progressvely" where as interlaced shows half of the lines (every other line) at half the speed and interlaces the two images. 1080pTVs are genrally a lot more expensive than a 1080i and if it was 1080p you would know about it really.
0 Kudos

/16

[rich999]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
[rich999]
Accepted Solution
Hmmm, interesting. my game im playing, Motorstorm cant handle 1080i, defaults back to 720p but still looks amazing!
0 Kudos

/16

Alias_NeO

41%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Alias_NeO
Accepted Solution
Hmmm, interesting. my game im playing, Motorstorm cant handle 1080i, defaults back to 720p but still looks amazing! Hehe yep, you corrected it yourself in your edit. A lot of the games run only on 720p at the moment but for the most part they will look better than 1080i anyway because of being progressive.
0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel