06 Nov 2010
By ilkboy
Playstation Staff

How can I play rmvb files on ps3?

3 Replies 19,554 Views Created 06-11-2010

Just did a little research and the ps3 cant play rmvb files. I got a bunch of videos than I would like to watch on the ps3. I dont want to have to convert every video as that'll take me AGES! 

So is there anything I can do? Like stream from media server? If so which one can I use?

Cheers

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4 (19,554 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

Re: How can I play rmvb files on ps3?

If you can't transcode it via PS3MS application. Then you will have to convert the format into a playable file.
Just like Betamax and HDDVD youve picked the wrong format.
Just like OGM MKV AVI and even MOV users those formats are dieing out Side PCs. Well there dead (mov is only alive because apple won't drop support for it, instead of using there M4V standard)

MPEG file formats are the only file formats that have commercial products supporting them for this gen.

Any DRM on the RM files will kill playback dead.... as it's supposed to.

SCEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester. Paid for NowTV subscription user from 03/2013 to 02/2014. User of... VM cable, SKY+HD, Game Capture HD II. Mobile 14 inch Screen Android kit kat 4.43.
Amazon Fire TV, Chromecast... and TV from Sky PS4.
Don't Need DLNA with a HTML5 browser in PS4...
Click for Plex.tv Beta video running on PS4 browser.. Enable the 1080p mode
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4 (19,544 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

there is a free media server program named tversity thant will automaticallay transcode the video you want to watch whilst streaming, easy as pie.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4 (19,497 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

well, i always use this Video Converter to help me transcode RMVB or other incompatible video format to PS3 supported format like MP4. And it offers optimized PS3 output format so that i can still enjoy high quality movie on PS3 after conversion.

U can have a try, good luck

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4 (19,291 Views)
0 Kudos