30 Apr 2012

Playstation Staff

MKV Files

3 Replies 1,166 Views Created 30-04-2012

I have a PS3 Slim 250gb and I want to play/copy mkv files on it without converting the file because that would take like 10 hours or so. Does anyone know of a software which will let me play mkv files directly from my pc and copy to the ps3. Or know of a good software which will convert files quick so I don't need to wait hours before converted? I am running windows xp sp3. 

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4 (1,166 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

Re: MKV Files

[ Edited ]

Download TSmuxer or MKVtoVOB apps, These will return Copied content BACK to the original format.

widget3.png

DVDs can be returned to MPG/VOB/TS

BD can be returned to M2TS

HDTV can be returned to Mpeg-TS

SDTV can be returned to Mpeg-TS

There are times when this wont work......

Spoiler

This won't work for New unsupported MKV,  Mislabled MKV from WEBM encoders or DivX Plus. (not DivX 7 that does not use the MKV container)

There are new encoders out there that have added features to MKV which break old MKV players, they also break hardware players and remuxing apps, these new MKV will be out of sync when remuxed to original format. "MKV tools" app may be able to repair those files.  

Remuxing only take seconds - minutes not hours. This means NO realtime convertsions will need to be done by PC and no High CPU usage to stream with media server apps like PS3MS or Tversity. 

All play on PS3 as they are the Correct native format for each media.

DivX PLUS

Spoiler

"Quicktime" on MAC could return DivX Plus H264/AAC back in to M4V, remuxing with out any need to re-encode.

Other wise you will need a Copy stream application like "avidemux" app.

WEBM will need real time conversion no choice. by using media servers like PS3MS or Tversity

Spoiler

WEBM is in its native container but should have .WEBM extension not MKV. Every time you play it the file will need on the fly conversion to MPG or convert it and save CPU      

Spoiler

( MKV was never needed even on PC. Its only FREE open source because they failed to get commercial support. Other wise Like DivX, You would have to pay for a license for MKV as well.

Open source has no standards and currently have buggered up MKV by allowing new encoders to break the container support. So even if you have a Hardware based MKV player files you download would still not play, Brilliant Idea, the idiots.  ) 

SCEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester. Paid for NowTV subscription user from 03/2013 to 02/2014. User of... VM cable, SKY+HD, Game Capture HD II. Mobile 14 inch Screen Android kit kat 4.43.
Amazon Fire TV, Chromecast... and TV from Sky PS4.
Don't Need DLNA with a HTML5 browser in PS4...
Click for Plex.tv Beta video running on PS4 browser.. Enable the 1080p mode
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4 (1,160 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

i can voch 4  MKVtoVOB its very quick A 2.39 gig file in 20min very quick . i h8 how u have 2 split files thou if theres more than 1 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4 (1,149 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Thanks aloot guys it works perfect and it does it in few minutes as you said <333333333.....

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4 (1,140 Views)
0 Kudos