18 Oct 2008
By: Frairetuck Member 171 Posts
Level 1

.MKV file on the PS3?

13 Replies 1,603 Views Created 18-10-2008
Anyone know how to play .MKV file on the PS3? I downloaded The Animatrix on to my PC which is ripped from a blu-ray disc. The file is over 4GB but I cannot get ti to play on my PS3 via media server. Any ideas anyone? Help would be greatly appreciated
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14 (1,603 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Re: .MKV file on the PS3?

[ Edited ]

i battled with this for a long time . what you need to download is a program called mkvtovob (google it)... download. do the normal input file , choose directory. it will then pass thorugh the video so it will only took a few minutes to convert it . as the video doensnt need encoding again . it just needs the vob container (extension) . when its doing it . 3 or 4 windows will pop up . ignore them as it is doing it thing and when its done you should be able to use tveristy or stick to move accross . all though there is somthing about 4 gig and over vob files working or not .i havent tried this yer as my main pc has failed and i only have my mac.

the program was made for the ps3 for just your reason :smileyhappy: . i hope that helps

also mkvtovob has the option of splitting the files for 4 gig and over :smileyhappy:

here is some guys instructions (sorry ive been google searching while doing the post (hence the editing)

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-To-Play-MKV-Files-On-Playstation-3

Message Edited by whereismax123 on 18-10-2008 01:05 PM
Message Edited by whereismax123 on 18-10-2008 01:06 PM
Message Edited by whereismax123 on 18-10-2008 01:06 PM
Message Edited by whereismax123 on 18-10-2008 01:07 PM
Free Image Hosting

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14 (1,600 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Thank's mate. You have been most helpful. I'll will try that now.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14 (1,572 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

I tried that mate. The version I have is 2.2.4. which is slightly different. Here is what happened....The 1st time I converted it to a VOB file and when I use the ps3's media server to find it on my pc the file is not in the folder where it should be. I then tried it again only this time I converted to a mp4 file but for some reason when my ps3 found the file it only played for about 7 seconds even though the file is 4.5GB. Any ideas? I also used mkv2vob to output the file as a mpg but the same thing happened and the video only lasted for about 9 seconds even though the filessize was 4.5GB.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14 (1,567 Views)
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

you can stream it from an external source (HD) that must be FAT32.Another way is to use a program called mkv2vob this converts it with no lose of quality to arouns 2 gig ish. Hopes this helps you.I only just had my PS3 and I luv gadgets and this is the best gadget that I have to date.

For all those who work for the company. AWESOME bit of kit !!!!!!!!

They must have read my mind as to sequential playback because it was doing my ead in.Much better now

Message Edited by scoobey on 18-10-2008 06:58 PM
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14 (1,553 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

The fat32 filesystem that the PS3 HDD uses only supports single files with a max size of 4gb.... kind of limiting. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table

Most compressed HD films I've seen are around 7GB.... I think a lot are compressed to just under 4GB for this reason.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14 (1,489 Views)
0 Kudos

here's what i do with mkv's, make sure you've got all the correct codecs installed firstly,

use aprogram called tsmuxer,

install it, open it up

click ADD button on the right and select the file

under the Tracks section, highlight the video track by clicking on it once and make sure the level is at 4.1 or lower (i think it should only be over 4.1 if its hd)

lower down in the output section click the M2TS muxing dot and selct an output folder.

click start muxing at the bottom wait a couple of minutes, then burn to disk. and roberts your mothers brother.

this is what i do with with hd video thats in an mkv container works like a charm.

let us know how it went

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14 (1,427 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

what format does that output the file to mate
Free Image Hosting

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14 (1,421 Views)
0 Kudos

it's an M2TS file, its a sony hd video file type, which the hd camcorders use, also i think i stands for mpeg2 transport stream or something.

and i'm not sure but i think its at least part of or similar to the transport stream used by bd.

also in the program tsmuxer there is an option of authoring your own blu-ray disks to be burned on dvd.

pm me if you want more info/links etc.

like i said in my first post thats what i do, and it works for me, i download quite a few hd rips that are in mkv, i just do what i explained then burn to dvd.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14 (1,402 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Just as a simpler alternative, people are now releasing AVCHD files which are still HD rips from Blu etc but play straight on your PS3.

Might be worth a look cause there are certainly some new releases in this format.

BigNickUK
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14 (1,351 Views)
0 Kudos