Playstation Staff

Re: MKV support

thanks bigugly but I've got it figured out now. I downloaded TVersity and the streaming is working fine now. :smileyhappy: Big thanks to chimp, spanky and bigugly for your advice. It is much appreciated :Thumbs:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 21 (2,084 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Do those converters also do subs?
Evocation for the New World
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 21 (2,085 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 21 (2,085 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

BUMP and yeh who thinks we need this we're almost year later! I think it's really usefull because the files can hold subs without them being stuck on the video! And the quallity is really good!
Sackroll.com

RICK ASTLEY IS SINGING ONCE AGAIN :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 21 (1,057 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

JohnYLaW wrote:
as i stated on another post their is a streaming software that streams mkv files to the ps3 and transcodes them at the same time!
If you want to stream MKV files from a PC to your PS3 TVersity will do the job. 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 21 (1,047 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

That's the problem I got rid of TVersity just 4 days ago and downloaded a movie that I really want to keep as MKV 2 days ago! And I dont wanna rëinstal it!
Sackroll.com

RICK ASTLEY IS SINGING ONCE AGAIN :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 21 (991 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

I didn't much like TVersity either. I'm now using the imaginatively titled PS3 Media Server which has been written specifically for the PS3. And I love it.

The website is here: http://www.ps3mediaserver.org

To save you a few seconds searching, the link to the download site is: http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/downloads/list

Available for Windoze, Mac and Linux. Which is nice.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 21 (970 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

just use mkvtovob . it takes less than 5 minutes to remux a 10gig file (newish comp) and once it done its done .

mkv doesnt offer better picture or quailty . its just well known to be one of the best containers going at the amount due to what it can support interms of audio and video codec . it is h/x.264 that gives much better quialty over divx ,even when its in SD form

most people are downloading music and videos through crappy bit torrent and p2p software , and so most people are not aware of the schene , how it works and how far that video has come down a large chain before it ends up on p2p bit torrent. there are rules for certain realease groups . divx and xvid rules havent changed and such releases must still be contained in avi format and not mkv as still alot of standalone stuff can play avis but not mkvs . the hd stuff is not closed off and so mkv is used instead . becuase sony are one of the largest backers in blu-ray they releasise that at the moment 90% of all blu ray rips are stuck in the mkv containter . blu-ray is there format and there money maker and so they are trying to make it harder for you to bother downloading illegal films and hoping that you wont bother , or dont know how and you will buy the disc . i cant see it coming at all really 

Free Image Hosting

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 21 (923 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

most people requesting MKV only want it support for playstation because cause they got excited by a torrrent site that lets them download "bluray" mkvs and now they wanna be "cool" and watch em on their playstation and tell their friends...
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 21 (836 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Plambey wrote:
most people requesting MKV only want it support for playstation because cause they got excited by a torrrent site that lets them download "bluray" mkvs and now they wanna be "cool" and watch em on their playstation and tell their friends...

Not all of us, P2P for a start is n00b stuff and MKV is a very versatile container, There is an increasing amount of anime being released as .mkv files due to the containers ability to hold multiple subtitle and soundtrack files. All in all a very capable container which is increasing in popularity all the time over the dated and not so good divx and xvid formats :Evil:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 21 (812 Views)
0 Kudos