26 Jan 2009

Playstation Staff

Media Server not found

5 Replies 522 Views Created 26-01-2009

Hi,

I am having great difficulties using Media Server functionality with the Playstation 3.

Sometimes when I start my PS3 the media server I run om my PC is available, but after some time, or a restart of the media server, the media server is gone from the PS3.

When I try to search for media servers on the PS3 it says that no media server is found.

I tried different software packages for the media server and I have the same problems with all of them.

I have no problems using the internet from my PS3 or browse to my PC with the PS3.

I use Windows Vista x64 Ultimate.

I do not run any firewall (windows firewall service is disabled).

My virus scanner does not run any network scanner.

I disabled all other network connections on my PC. Only my Local Area Network is active.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6 (522 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Re: Media Server not found

I use Tversity, have some wierd issues where if I turn my PS3 on it cycles my router so my PC loses connection, I then have to reconnect it and go to the Tversity tools, select restart Tversity media server (right click and run as administrator), the media server will usually be fine after that. Also running Vista 64bit. You could try that as a work around to your issue.

What router are you using? How is your PC and PS3 connected? LAN cables on both or combination of LAN and wireless?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6 (499 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I tried Tversity too, and I get the same behaviour with it too.

I use a Thomson ST780 wireless router/modem.

Always works very well with online gaming.

Both PC and PS3 are connected using UTP cables.

What does "cycles my router" mean?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6 (493 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Basically what I mean by cycle is when my PS3 turns on the lights on the router go off, then start coming back on in sequence as if I've just reset it, all internet connection is lost during this process. Same thing happens during game updates, not system updates though which is very strange. Thinking it be a fault with my router, have it connected via a UTP cable for the data speed, may have to try it using wireless to see if it improves it.

Might be worth trying wireless with yours to see if it helps. Might want to check the settings on the Thomson router, most of them have a hardwire fire wall, should usually only involve incoming internet traffic, but you never know, could be having an effect.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6 (472 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Dude, use Windows media player, I do.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6 (459 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

mga2890 schreef:
Dude, use Windows media player, I do.

Dude, the software being used as the Media Server is not relevant.

It does not work with any software.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6 (444 Views)
0 Kudos