Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Media Server

134 Replies 44,676 Views Created 24-05-2007
How to use the feature?

Additional information:

• My PS3 is wirelessly connected to the INTERNET via my router.
  • Know how to use Redkawa file server
0 Kudos
LABELS:

F_icon.svg.pngTwitter_logo_blue.pngYouTube-Gaming-Icon.png

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

yellams

86%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
yellams
Accepted Solution
all was well my computer picked up a ps3 and a 360. admitedly it didnt like playing on the ps3 as it crashed but it worked and picked up my computer. until the dreaded day when i formatted my computer to get rid of viruses now it wont work for love nor money. ps3 sat next to pc both wireless
0 Kudos

Re: Media Server

Photobucket
Gamertag - yeilams
/16

[Arito]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
[Arito]
Accepted Solution
After trying with WMP11 I have got it to work with Nero MediaHome fairly easily. However the video files (mp4s) all have the title "VideoHandler". Which is fairly annoying since I cant copy a bunch of files at once because I don't know which file is which episode of a series. Also I can't keep them as Avi's because the PS3 apparently doesn't want to play those.

Any thoughts?
0 Kudos

/16

[jonbat]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
[jonbat]
Accepted Solution
i have mine running nero media centre and have no probs seeing the music / photos / video however when i play a track it stops every minute or so as thought using up the buffer and not receiving enough data from laptop.....

Is there a way to increase buffer size (if there is one) or make the laptop stream it quicker???

Cheers
0 Kudos

/16

[Perry Vale]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
[Perry Vale]
Accepted Solution
After many attempts, and much fiddling, have finally got this to work with my PC & WMP11. Have the PC & PS3 both going through a Belkin G+ Mimo ADSL Modem/Router, but I'm getting the following problems.......

It plays my wma's stored on my pc, but I keep getting the error message 'DLNA Protocol Error (2103)'.......and it also keeps signing me out of PS Netwrok, quoting error message "80710B23". :cry:

It's also got the habit of freezing my PS3 now, having to reboot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)
0 Kudos

/16
60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
quiet_englishman
Accepted Solution
Connection problems, firstly under sevices.msc make sure UPnP service and Window File Sharing is enabled and on automatic. When you activate sharing in WMP11 you should get a popup in your taskbar saying that there is a new device found, which is your PS3. If you're getting DNLA errors, WMP11 has crashed, or the service hung, which is common, it's a Microsoft software afterall.
The thing with WMP11 listings on your ps3. If your library on WMP11 has no music/playlists, then the file server via PS3 will not find anything either. If you manually entered the folders to share, use the option on the PS3 mediaserver menu to access them.
As some folk have said, try using an alternative, Nero Home Media is good but has rubbish transcoding, and it's performance via wireless is less than aggreeable. I personally use Tversity for video and Winamp Remote (Orb) for music, give them a try, they're both free, and a whole lot more reliable than WMP11.
As a side note, I wouldn't recommend wireless settings for streaming of high bit rate movies, especially if the program is also transcoding AVI files, they will, for the most part, be either poor quality and/or jumpy. Stick to wired setups for fast ethernet streaming. If you only want to stream photos, music etc then any one of these programs will do the job over wireless competently and fast.
0 Kudos

As a rule, man is a fool, when it is hot he wants cool, when it is cool, he wants hot, man always wants what is not.
Beta Tester
/16

Bumblebee

• Beta Tester
88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Bumblebee
Accepted Solution
This is the one thing on my PS3 I can't get to grips with. But I don't blame the PS3, I blame the PC. I have 2 PCs, one of which is working as a media server but it's not really mine and I can't always have it on. But I got it working reasonably well-ish as a media server by activating the settings in services.msc as suggested. My other PC- the one that actually contains my media- is not so good. No matter what I have done, I can't see my PS3 in the "Share my media to.." window in WMP11. Can't see my other PC either. Tried TVersity and it didn't work very well at all, until I disabled the firewall. Now I've opened up a path in the firewall and my PS3 can see it. "Hooray", I thought, "now we are getting somewhere"... but every time I play something I get that same error: "Media Server Error: A DLNA protocol error (2103) has occurred". Be it music, pics or video, same error, every single time I try to get into a folder. It's frustrating. I can't find f-all about what that error means on the net either. GAH! So all TVersity has done for me thus far is give me a new, useless and quite ugly icon. Whereas WMP11 hasn't even done that, other than the PC I don't want to use as a media server- and even that is intermittent. I'm quite computer savvy but this has been doing my brain in. I can't even find any decent help about it. But I am totally blaming Microsoft.
0 Kudos

/16

[sean0connor]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
[sean0connor]
Accepted Solution
Hello all,

I use Twonky Media Server. It installs on Windows, Linux and MAC and whats more, and what seals the deal for me it works on NAS (Network Attached Storage) devices.

I now have 200+ dvd's all at the click of the remote control from my NAS in the loft to the LCD in the living room, all full DVD quality and 5.1 Audio. Also it works with my photos and Music. All this without leaving my PC on.

How did I find this out?.

I was looking for a Network attached storage box so myself and my better half could access our docs from anywhere and load our ipods from the same music library.

I got my advice and help from http://www.mediahome.co.uk/. They recommended the QNAP or the Netgear Infrant Ready Nas storage box as they run or can run Townky.

and that was that.

So I would happily recommend :-
http://www.twonkyvision.com
http://www.mediahome.co.uk/index.php?cPath=26
0 Kudos

/16

[faceoff]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
[faceoff]
Accepted Solution
This is the one thing on my PS3 I can't get to grips with. But I don't blame the PS3, I blame the PC. I have 2 PCs, one of which is working as a media server but it's not really mine and I can't always have it on. But I got it working reasonably well-ish as a media server by activating the settings in services.msc as suggested. My other PC- the one that actually contains my media- is not so good. No matter what I have done, I can't see my PS3 in the "Share my media to.." window in WMP11. Can't see my other PC either. Tried TVersity and it didn't work very well at all, until I disabled the firewall. Now I've opened up a path in the firewall and my PS3 can see it. "Hooray", I thought, "now we are getting somewhere"... but every time I play something I get that same error: "Media Server Error: A DLNA protocol error (2103) has occurred". Be it music, pics or video, same error, every single time I try to get into a folder. It's frustrating. I can't find f-all about what that error means on the net either. GAH! So all TVersity has done for me thus far is give me a new, useless and quite ugly icon. Whereas WMP11 hasn't even done that, other than the PC I don't want to use as a media server- and even that is intermittent. I'm quite computer savvy but this has been doing my brain in. I can't even find any decent help about it. But I am totally blaming Microsoft. I to get these errors, although it does not stop it from working?
I think it maybe down to the PS3 not wanting to wait long enough to recieve the data. As when the error appears, i wait a few more seconds, and everything works. Thats after I'd spent 3 days making the darn things "see" eachother.
I use Nero homemedia, WP11 still wont see the PS3 damn that bill gates!!
0 Kudos

/16

[Saligo]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
[Saligo]
Accepted Solution
I need help. I have tried doing as instructed in the guide but I can't seem to make it work. I have Windows XP Media Centre Edition. Do I need anything else? Also, how far away can my PS3 be from my computer? Thanks in advance, ~Saligo
0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel