17 Mar 2012
By: guntario

2 Posts

My PS3 will not play most copyrighted DVDs.

4 Replies 652 Views Created 17-03-2012

I have a Netflix subscription, and I am forced to burn about 50-60% of the DVDs in order to play them in my PS3. The disks from Netflix simply aren't recognized. Sometimes, if I eject, insert, eject, insert, eject, insert, about 4-5 times, it will finally recognize the disk. However, most times, even after trying numerous times, the disks aren't recognized. The only solution I have found is to burn the DVD and play the burned copy. Any suggestions?

Sincerely,

The GallBlaster.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5 (652 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Re: My PS3 will not play most copyrighted DVDs.

I dont understand dude i also have netflix and  i dont need disks

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5 (643 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

This is the best way to watch movies on your ps3 especially if you have them on your pc.

It is very easy to use without any complicated setup.

http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5 (637 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

You would be much better off using the Netflix for PS3 application. Burned DVDs are unreliable in consoles such as the PS3 and 360 as they check for the certificate and region number prior to playing which isn't always present. Another problem may simply be that you have a crap DVD burner :smileytongue:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5 (587 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Netflix in the EU does not USE DVDs.

This means you the OP are US based. 

From my under standing from "The US forums" at community.us.playstation.com, Netflix rental DVDs are NOT retail DVDs but are Specific RENTAL versions pressed for them. This may be causing a conflict, When the DVD lense trys to read the SECOND layer of the DVD9s in the PS3.

DVD+/-R Are normaly Single layer as I don't expect you are using Expensive DVD DL-R for burning.

!gnore netflix and play Your Own to keep DVD9 And DVD5s and then report the Results.

DVD9 DL are the norm  

DVD5 are cheap produced Film DVDs and normaly the Extras DVD of a Box set.

Some Box sets will normaly say Which is DVD 5/9       

SCEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester. Paid for NowTV subscription user from 03/2013 to 02/2014. VM cable user, SKY+HD User, Game Capture HD II Owner. Mobile 15 inch Screen Android kit kat 4.43 user.
Don't Need DLNA with a HTML5 browser in PS4...
Click for Plex.tv Beta video running on PS4 browser.. Enable the 1080p mode
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5 (570 Views)
0 Kudos