DarphBobo74

25%
02 Rank
Progress

PS3 (60g) won't play DVD's

11 Replies 2,486 Views Created 16-04-2011
16 Apr 2011
By DarphBobo74

For some strange reason my 60g PS3 stopped playing dvd's last week. It still plays PS3 games, blurays and even CD's just fine, but when you put a DVD in the blue light comes on to say there's a disc in, but it doesn't show up in the Video section where you'd normally select it to play. The discs are not scratched or smudged at all, and I have tried many other discs including brand new ones with the same result. These are all genuine DVD's, NOT burnt discs. It doesn't recognise my old PS2 games either, which it should being the backwards compatible model.

And before everyone starts trying to tell me that the DVD laser is stuffed, please note that this is a 60g console with only 1 laser to read ALL discs. I have bought a Bluray drive cleaner specifically designed for use with bluray and PS3 (not just some DVD cleaner) and it didn't change a thing (didn't even seem to spin up). Have searched all over the web looking for any hint as to the cause of this and found nothing to explain it, although have heard mention of similar problems with no solutions being found.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

FooFan73

90%
03 Rank
Progress
FooFan73
Accepted Solution

The laser CAN be stuffed in that it now can't read all types of discs and seems to have failed in reading DVD type discs (But can still focus and read BD discs and CDs)

You could try buying a lens cleaner but in my experience they rarely do anything which leaves a call to either Sony or a local repair shop your only option

0 Kudos

Re: PS3 (60g) won't play DVD's

[ Edited ]
Photobucket

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

DarphBobo74

25%
02 Rank
Progress
DarphBobo74
Accepted Solution
Thanks for taking the time to respond, but since it still reads Blurays (arguably the most difficult to read and requiring much greater accuracy of the laser), I find it difficult to believe that it's the laser that isn't able to read specificaly DVD's. There have been absolutely ZERO glitches, skips or longer loading times when playing DVD's, Blurays or games leading up to this problem, and there's still no other issues playing anything else.
If anyone has any other ideas.......
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

jmmart99

89%
05 Rank
Progress
jmmart99
Accepted Solution

DarphBobo74 escribió:
Thanks for taking the time to respond, but since it still reads Blurays (arguably the most difficult to read and requiring much greater accuracy of the laser), I find it difficult to believe that it's the laser that isn't able to read specificaly DVD's. There have been absolutely ZERO glitches, skips or longer loading times when playing DVD's, Blurays or games leading up to this problem, and there's still no other issues playing anything else.
If anyone has any other ideas.......

Your model has two lenses, one for DVDs and another for blurays

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

DarphBobo74

25%
02 Rank
Progress
DarphBobo74
Accepted Solution

jmmart99::Shame:

Sorry, but you are wrong.

The 60gb model only has the single laser which I have confirmed with my own eyes.

Even a quick google search will confirm this.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

FooFan73

90%
03 Rank
Progress
FooFan73
Accepted Solution

My theory still stands, that the (single) laser is failing and can only focus on CD and BD type discs but not DVD discs.

Either way it's still time to call either Sony for a refurb or a console repair shop. Maybe it'd be better to do that rather than just argue as to whether or not there's one or two lasers?

0 Kudos

Photobucket

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

AirmanDF

21%
02 Rank
Progress
AirmanDF
Accepted Solution

Just curious if you ever found a solution to this problem?  My PS3 (same model) just started doing the exact same thing.  Blurays, Games and CDs all play without any problems, but it won't recognize the DVDs.  The blue light is lit, so it knows that there is a disc in the drive.  

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

DarphBobo74

25%
02 Rank
Progress
DarphBobo74
Accepted Solution

In the end I just put up with it since I still have a DVD player anyways.

It's just suffered the dreaded YLOD, and I'm about to repair that, so will be curious to see if the DVD issue was an early symptom of that (although kinda doubtful since the PS3 worked fine otherwise till now), or something completely seperate.

Will post back with the results after the YLOD repair is complete. If the DVD issue still remains, I'll probably try swapping out the laser just to be sure, as I have a spare laser to go in now.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

guntario

23%
02 Rank
Progress
guntario
Accepted Solution

Just curious, does it play burned DVDs?

0 Kudos

Sincerely,

The GallBlaster.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

cableguy797

45%
02 Rank
Progress
cableguy797
Accepted Solution

I have a ps3 that has suffered a similar fate, only mine wont play blu rays of any kind (games included). in the end though, I've bought a new blu ray drive, to fit in the console.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

jaffapie26

47%
02 Rank
Progress
jaffapie26
Accepted Solution

how do you find out which bluray drive i need and where can i get one ?

0 Kudos

jaffa

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

aiden0109

31%
02 Rank
Progress
aiden0109
Accepted Solution

My XBOX had a similar problem and microsoft tried chrging me £90 although it was still in warranty, i found the best sollution was opening it up and removing all the dust from the console and the disc drive as they do tend to gather lots of dust. Hope it helped.:BigGrin:

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel