16 Jan 2010
By: ChocoboDad Member 14 Posts
Level 1

PS3 External Hard Drive Problems...

3 Replies 718 Views Created 16-01-2010

Ok.  Here's the tale of woe.

After having used my 40GB machine for some 12 months I upgraded to a WD 320 GB drive and all worked perfectly for some eight or nine months.  Unfortunately, my system then suffered the infamous YLOD.  I obtained a refurbished machine from SONY (having removed my 320GB drive prior to exchange), promptly attempted to fit said 320GB drive and the system would not accept it.  It would quite happily reformat it, with the obvious loss of data.

Through this excellent site I have discovered that the drives are not `swappable'.  I still take slight issue with the technology but can't get a sensible answer as to why this is.  Surely a FAT32 drive from a PS3 is the same as any other hard drive from a PS3 or is it a question of hard drive registration?  However, I digress.

I purchased an external caddy powered by a USB cable (again, I've seen several posts on this site about the possible requirement for external caddies to be mains powered rather than USB since that purchase) and still have had no luck.  The drive spins up but is not recognised.

I contacted SONY Playstation Support and was told that it's not something they officially support (what a surprise) but managed to get out of the Techie a suggestion, that I should leave the drive plugged into the PS3 for several hours for it to recognise the drive as this had worked for him.  This I have done for six hours, with no success.

I don't want to purchase another caddy (mains powered) if that will not solve my problem.  I really only want to recover a single VERY IMPORTANT game save that was not backed up elsewhere and a couple of pictures of my daughter.  I fully intend to reformat the 320GB drive when it goes back into the machine.

I have tried plugging the caddy and drive into my PC with little success.  The drive spins up and the PC identifies it as a WD drive with the appropriate serial number but does not assign it a volume label, therefore leaving me unable to access it.

So I would really welcome any help any of you awfully nice people could render.

“When the avalanche has already started, it is too late for the pebbles to vote.”

PS3 320GB, SONY KDL-40x3500, ONKYO TX-SR507, MORDAUNT SHORT 905i, MORDAUNT SHORT 916i
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4 (718 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Re: PS3 External Hard Drive Problems...

Im sorry m8 there no way you can recover that data.The ps3 actually formats the drive in its own format,not FAT32,and nothing but the original ps3 you used it on will be able to read it.

As you have found out as soon as you tried to put it in another ps3 the ps3 immediately formats the new drive.I believe this is a security feature to stop piracy etc.

The bottom line is,if you have not backed the data on the hard drive you have lost it.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4 (710 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Many thanks for your info. One final question. Will the drive that is currently inside the console be recognised by the same console if it then placed in a caddy and used as an external drive? cheers, Chocobo_Dad
“When the avalanche has already started, it is too late for the pebbles to vote.”

PS3 320GB, SONY KDL-40x3500, ONKYO TX-SR507, MORDAUNT SHORT 905i, MORDAUNT SHORT 916i
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4 (698 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Chances are you not gonna get that console back, im just after getting ylod on my launch 60gig and followed a youtube fix video. Everything's in working order again. I would have suggested doing this if it was out of warranty. As far as i know theres nothing you can do to get that save off the hdd.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4 (660 Views)
0 Kudos