19 Jul 2011
By: blucathode Member 163 Posts
Level 1

PS3 Fiber Optic to PC, anyone else attempted this?

2 Replies 365 Views Created 19-07-2011

Hi guys,

Basically i have my nice Bravia 3DTV setup with my PS3 and PC all next to each other. The PC has a 5.1 surround sound system, but the problem is, its quite old. Which in turn means i can only have it plugged into the pc and nothing else (it has no fiber optic in, or anything in for that matter).

Now what my PC does have is a fiber optic combo jack which can be used to either send audio or receive it. So the plan is quite simple, tell the ps3 to send audio via fiber instead of HDMI and then the audio will come out of the PC speakers in glorious 5.1 (making the PC a rather expensive AMP).

Now in theory this should all work fine, but i cannot get it to work at all.

In windows (win7) i have told the soundcard to 'listen' to incoming audio from the combo port and to output that audio via the 5.1 ports. The ps3 is also set to send audio as 5.1 over the fiber cable, and that cable does not appear to be damaged (red light seems to flow through it fine).

So my question to ask you guys is...

...have any of you tried to setup something similar to this and have a possible solution for me as to why i get no audio via this method.

Now i don't really want to go out and buy new speakers as there is nothing wrong with these ones and they yield 550w of power, although i'm afraid i may have to go out and buy some of theses

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/13571934/-/Product.html?opFR=true

But, i would rather use what i already have than buy expensive new speakers.

Thanks for reading guys :-D

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3 (365 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Re: PS3 Fiber Optic to PC, anyone else attempted this?

if pc optical connector really can act as input then i'd try to setup ps3 to output just stereo pcm audio (uncheck 5.1 stuff). if it'll work then the probability is that your pc cannot act as decoder for 5.1 stuff (dolby and/or dts).

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3 (322 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Re: PS3 Fiber Optic to PC, anyone else attempted this?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3 (314 Views)
0 Kudos