26 Dec 2008
By mimar79

Playstation Staff

PS3 does not recognize the new hard disk

45 Replies 22,179 Views Created 26-12-2008

Hi everybody!

I need help on upgrading hard disk of PS3.

Existing HD is 40 GB.

I formatted one external hard disk with Fat32 system and backed up my datas to this one.

Then I removed 40 GB HD and replaced with 200 GB 7200 rpm Seagate hard disk.

When I turned on PS3, a message appeared saying "Connect the controller using USB cable, and then press the PS button". I did it. Then another message appeared saying

"The system software cannot berun correctly. Press PS button to try to restart the system.

If the system cannot be restarted, the system partition of the hard disk must be reformatted and you must reinstall the system software.

Insert storage media that contains update data of version 2.41 or later, and then press START and SELECT button at the same time.

For information on how to obtain update data, refer to the SCE WEB site for your region"

So, I pressed PS button again but I received the first message once again.

There was a jumper on new HD but not on the existing one, so I removed the jumper and tried again, nothing changed.

I did not get the screen that will offer formatting the new hard disk.

I tried another hard disk, 160 GB 5400 rpm Seagate and it was Fat32 formatted. Nothing changed.

I placed th original 40 GB HD, I received the first message, pressed the PS button and received the second message and again pressed the PS button and PS3 restarted normally.

What I could have made wrong?

Why PS3 does not recognise the new HD?

Any idea?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 46 (22,179 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 does not recognize the new hard disk

hey,

sorry to hear you are having difficulties.

I upgraded my 80GB to a 320GB a couple of months ago.  I had no problem.  You never specified when you saw the "Insert storage media that contains update data of version 2.41 or later, and then press START and SELECT button at the same time."

message if you ACTUALLY did this or not.  Remember, the PS3 firmware is split between the motherboard chips AND the Hard disk too.  With a new hard disk in place, with that half of the firmware missing essentially, then you have to put this back in place to reformat it so that it will work with the PS3.  When you get the above message, you have to make sure you've downloaded the latest firmware (v2.53 right now) from the Playstation website, and put it on to a memory stick.  Then put this into one of the USB ports on your PS3.  This will be recognised by the PS3 and will be used in the process of setting up your new hard drive.  Hopefully this is all clear to you.

Phat 80GB PS3 upgraded to 320GB.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 46 (22,127 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Thanks for the answer. To summarize it once again,

When I turn on PS3 after I placed the new HD I get a message below:

"Connect the controller using USB cable, and then press the PS button".

I press PS button and a second message appears as the following:

"The system software cannot berun correctly. Press PS button to try to restart the system.

If the system cannot be restarted, the system partition of the hard disk must be reformatted and you must reinstall the system software.

Insert storage media that contains update data of version 2.41 or later, and then press START and SELECT button at the same time.

For information on how to obtain update data, refer to the SCE WEB site for your region"

I press the PS button, the system restarts and first message appears again. And it goes on like this.

--------------           --------------

As for putting the latest firmware on a usb flash disk... Shall I download it via PS3 or can I download via normal PC? Shoul the media be formatted Fat32 again? Or not necessary?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 46 (22,108 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

I NEVER update my PS3 using the internet direct with the PS3.  I've heard of too many people having problems due to SO many people all scrambling at once to download the update.  I ALWAYS download to my PC and then update my PS3 using a memory stick with the downloaded update.

You can get it here: http://uk.playstation.com/help-support/ps3/system-software/detail/item133373/Update-features-(ver-2-53)/

Once its on your PC, move it into a folder called UPDATE.  Put this UPDATE folder into another folder called PS3 (these two folders MUST be named in BLOCK CAPITALS for it work.  Then its simply a case of unplugging from your PC and putting the memory stick into your PS3 instead. (any port, doesn't matter)

PS3's ONLY recognise FAT32 memory, whether it be a memory stick, or a Hard drive.  This is because NTFS is a Microsoft developed thing.  Although more efficient with space when saving to an NTFS formatted memory media, Sony, for obvious reasons, don't want to be tied to Microsoft in any way, so its FAT32 all the way for PS3.  If your Hard drive (and memory stick) are both formatted as FAT32 already then you'll not have any problems with recognisability for the PS3.

Message Edited by RissyMcG on 26-12-2008 07:55 PM
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 46 (22,106 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Unfortunately, it did not work.

I saved the latest firmware on usb drive. I even made firmware update through this usb drive and understood that it is recognized by PS3.

But when I placed new hard disk, (USB drive in place) and turned on PS3,  I still get the same two messages and never come to the stage of formatting the new HD. The only difference on messages, 2.41 became 2.53 on the second message.

I don't understand. Why am I having trouble? In all the explainations about this upgrade procedure, they just swap the hard disks and when they turn on PS3, and the system attempts to format the new HD.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 46 (22,095 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Sorry, disregard my last post. IT WORKED.

Now hard disk is being formatted.

But I still don't understand, in no explainations for HD upgrade procedures nobody mentions this. Or am I the only person having this problem?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 46 (22,091 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Memory formatting is a bit technical, and i may be wrong when i say this (pretty sure i'm not though).

My understanding is that you can format FAT32 to NTFS but once NTFS, you can't go back to FAT32.  If your HD was NTFS, and you "think" you've formatted it to FAT32, then you may be mistaken.  Is it a new HD, or a recycled once from a PC?  I bought a new one and did nothing with it other than stick it straight into my PS3 out of the box.  Unless otherwise specified, then i'm also of the understanding that memory, by default, comes as FAT32, and you have to go out of your way to make it NTFS.  Therefore, if your HD is brand new out of the box, and it DOESN'T state that its NTFS pre-formatted, then it SHOULD be FAT32 and be ready to go.  If its a recycled one from a PC, then it could be anyone's guess!

ok, disregard above.  I just read your message that it worked!  good for you!  pheww! LOL!  (I bet your glad!)

Message Edited by RissyMcG on 26-12-2008 08:54 PM
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 46 (22,088 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Thanks a lot RissyMcG!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 46 (22,091 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

No problems.  Thats what the forums are for.  Enjoy your new HD, and your extra storage space.  I sure know i'm glad i upgraded to 320GB.  I bought PlayTV and it gobbles the space up! LOL!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 46 (22,086 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the PlayTV?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 46 (22,073 Views)
0 Kudos