[EN] Archive

PlayStation®3 Media

PlayStation®3 Media

Re: Petition to add FLAC support to PS3 Music Player,

[ Edited ]

I too would love to see FLAC on the PS3.

I have ripped all of my (600 or so) CDs to FLAC and have them stored on a NAS box.  It is not a trivial matter to install something like Twonky on the NAS, plus it would doubtlessly invalidate the warranty.

FLAC is now a well established format.  Many audiophile record labels (such as Linn and Naim) sell their music as FLAC downloads.  Please add support for it, Sony.

Please use plain text.
Message 41 of 74 (1,427 Views)

Re: Petition to add FLAC support to PS3 Music Player

sony grande sony. faz com que a ps3 suporte flac :Scared: vá lá sonyzinha :Winner:

Please use plain text.
Message 42 of 74 (1,393 Views)
Level 5

Sony never ends to surprise me (always negatively of course).

No FLAC on the PS3 but now they will support FLAC on mobile phones.

Now, I am a supporter of lossless formats but considering available storage and the fact that a phone will most probably be used with crappy earphones the advantage of FLAC on a phone is at least dubious, while a PS3 can be connected to a 5.1 system and could potentially play 5.1 FLAC files (which is what I do now with my HTPC).

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2010/04/13/sony_ericsson_walkman_zylo_spiro/

So another big FAIL for Sony....

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Please use plain text.
Message 43 of 74 (1,300 Views)

Please use plain text.
Message 44 of 74 (1,205 Views)
Level 2

Adding FLAC would be fantastic, I personally wouldnt use it all that often (Cowon PMP's ftw) but itd be awesome to have there if I needed it for whatever reason.
Please use plain text.
Message 45 of 74 (1,180 Views)
Level 3

[ Edited ]

Would love to see FLAC.  It's however currently possible to do on-the-fly transcoding from FLAC to WAV (thus retaining it's lossless quality) using TwonkyMedia as a mediaserver.

I do this currently, and it works really well.   Not as good as native FLAC support, but pretty usable.

It's also clear that those crying over OtherOS are those that are also supporting FLAC, so perhaps Sony should take this oppertunity to appease them with adding FLAC (although I suspect some people will quite hapilly take FLAC and still continue to cry)

YAY! I finally worked out how to have a picture signature!
Please use plain text.
Message 46 of 74 (1,162 Views)
Level 5

[ Edited ]

Da1ryLee wrote:

Would love to see FLAC.  It's however currently possible to do on-the-fly transcoding from FLAC to WAV (thus retaining it's lossless quality) using TwonkyMedia as a mediaserver.

I do this currently, and it works really well.   Not as good as native FLAC support, but pretty usable.

This is what I used to do but there are various disadvantages with this work-around: one, quite obvious, is that you need to have a PC or NAS always on. But there is an even more serious inconvenience: streaming music to the PS3 is incompatible with any other activity. You can't stream music and use the web browser, you can't stream music and play a game. So, unless you play local music files the PS3 becomes pretty unusable. That's why I wanted local FLAC suppport.

Another limitation of streaming music is that the PS3 always puts silence between one track and the next.

Seriously, call me a Sony basher but I can't believe that in 2010 a thing promoted as a media hub can't stream two songs in a row without putting a gap between them!

Please use plain text.
Message 47 of 74 (1,127 Views)
Level 3

What a surprise...

Andyrome64 is moaning about sony again.

Im puzzled to why you still own your PS3, as right now sony have ripped 'other os' from your hands, refuses to use the best audio formats for your songs, and has subsequently lied to you about being a media hub that can play movies, game and music (apparently) and to top it all off you cant stream two songs in a row...

Why bother with this heap of junk? You seem obsessed with crying about it but..... Keep it?

Waiting for sonys next big fail?
Please use plain text.
Message 48 of 74 (1,114 Views)
Level 5

This thread is about FLAC support (I thought the title gave a good hint)

Please use plain text.
Message 49 of 74 (1,092 Views)
Level 3

and your profiles about sony bashing?

point?
Please use plain text.
Message 50 of 74 (1,090 Views)