22 Nov 2010
By DavyC
Playstation Staff

PlayTV update bug?

609 Replies 6,652 Views Created 22-11-2010

Hi guys,

I have had PlayTV since launch and think its about the best £50 I have spent, so I downloaded the new update last week, but since then strange things have been happening in the night!!

When I got up this morning, the PS3 had switched itself on and had the 'PlayTV is in progres, the system with shutdown when finished etc' message up, so I switched it on, but it was not recording or anything else.  This is about the third time since the update I have noticed this. 

I know when you setup the series link option it tells you the system will wake up through the night (I picked around 4am) to check for items to be added to series link, but surely this does not take upwards of 3 hours a night?  Anyone else experienced this?

Also, with regards the series link, does anyone know how to stop the series link recording the same episode of things repeatedly?  ie something on channel 4 then on 4+1?

The one other thing is that there is apparently a premium EPG now, but I cant really see how its changed, if at all. 

Any ideas??

Ta in advance. :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 610 (6,652 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Re: PlayTV update bug?

Hi DavyC

I've had a problem appear since installing the update too, namely PlayTV now won't load at all, it simply freezes on the PlayTV logo, I can reinstall V1.0 from disk and it will work until I upgrade again.

Anyway I won't hijack your post with this.

I think can help you out with your enhanced EPG query though, I was confused too as they seemed to be the same.

It seems the main info section is the same, if you want to get at the additional programme data, like director, genre, fuller description etc... then when in the EPG, press the x to get the menu, then select the info option, this will show the additional info you want to see.

hope you get answers to your other questions

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 610 (6,594 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

DavyC wrote:

Hi guys,

I have had PlayTV since launch and think its about the best £50 I have spent, so I downloaded the new update last week, but since then strange things have been happening in the night!!

When I got up this morning, the PS3 had switched itself on and had the 'PlayTV is in progres, the system with shutdown when finished etc' message up, so I switched it on, but it was not recording or anything else.  This is about the third time since the update I have noticed this. 

I know when you setup the series link option it tells you the system will wake up through the night (I picked around 4am) to check for items to be added to series link, but surely this does not take upwards of 3 hours a night?  Anyone else experienced this?

Also, with regards the series link, does anyone know how to stop the series link recording the same episode of things repeatedly?  ie something on channel 4 then on 4+1?

The one other thing is that there is apparently a premium EPG now, but I cant really see how its changed, if at all. 

Any ideas??

Ta in advance. :smileyvery-happy:

I have to agree the series link I thought would be handy apparently not the other night i went to turn off the console and it said play tv in progress etc you know the message and i thought hey im not recording so turn it back on and its recording the repeat of the apprentice I dont need it twice so the series record is actually becoming a downfall of the update and a waste of my money really as I dont want chat. I only really updated just because id rather see futher development the more support we as consumers give it the more likely they will develop it but series link needs to be looked at!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 610 (6,572 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I have the same problem.

I've woken up the last 3 nights with my PS3 working away. I open playtv and nothings recording.

Also it no longer allows me to record during gameplay (black ops online)

How do i fix this?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 610 (6,553 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

in the settings you have to turn on background recording

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 610 (6,549 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Hey guys,

One thing I tried last night was to rescan the channels, which I had not done since the update (would have been nice of them to let us know!!) and it added the 'enhanced' EPG.  I am now wondering if this may have been the route of the issue all along.

My reasoning for tis is as follows:

• the enhanced EPG has more info and maybe the series link feature needs this info in order to recognise when a program is repeated?
  • If the above is true, then this may be the reason that the PS3 wasnt switching off overnight, ie it was trying to record other episodes in the series, but as the advanced EPG was not working correctly, it couldnt find the info to schedule repeats and in effect locks up?

Much as I love PlayTV, I must admit, I feel the latest update has been mishandled, with features which should be running much more effieciently, especially as this was not a free update.

If any of the PlayTV team read this (Unlikely, I know!!), can we please have some feedback as to what is going on and when we are likely to have an update to fix the issues we are having.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 610 (6,540 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

DavyC.

I updated Playtv to the latest version. but have not downloaded the series link/enhanced epg update. However, it still switches on in the middle of the night

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 610 (6,526 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I think I know what the problem is with the PS3 turning on over night. There is an option to have Play TV turn on at a set time and check for programme updates. You may find that your machine is set for the middle of the night. Give it a try.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 610 (6,512 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Thanks jedi118.

Do you know where about i can change those settings, i cannot find it from the 'settings' list.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 610 (6,500 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Thanks for that bit of info jedi118 but I would expect the PS3 to switch off after that check?!

I noticed my PS3 on a few days ago but I have not been home to double check this problem. Have you all emailed Sony? scee_gb@mailuk.custhelp.com

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 610 (6,469 Views)
0 Kudos