07 Sep 2008

Playstation Staff

Problems Playing MP4

3 Replies 1,008 Views Created 07-09-2008

Hi

I have a mp4 file which is 380mb is size. It plays perfectly on my PC on Quicktime, however when playing it on the PS3 (Via usb stick) i get no picture, only audio. The file details are below:

Video Codec: AVC 1.1 Mbps

Audio Codec: AAC 134 kbps

Resolution: 640 x 480

So what is the problem? Whenever i use the Red Kawa PS3 converter my PC crashes.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4 (1,008 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

Re: Problems Playing MP4

The encoder used for that clip has broken the sync levels/index. The PS3 rejects the broken sync and has no clue were the frames of video are supposed to start compared to the Audio. its just another incompatible bug in the open source encoder of H264. This bug is reproducible in hand brake all the time buy using the autocrop and forced aspect ratio but they don't ever fix it.
Quicktime re builds the sync/index when you open the file . just re encode the video and pass though the audio in quicktime its self and it will fix it. as quicktimes H264 has not got that bug.
SCEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester. Paid for NowTV subscription user from 03/2013 to 02/2014. VM cable user, SKY+HD User, Game Capture HD II Owner. Mobile 14 inch Screen Android kit kat 4.43 user.
Pre ordered Kindle Fire TV
Don't Need DLNA with a HTML5 browser in PS4...
Click for Plex.tv Beta video running on PS4 browser.. Enable the 1080p mode
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4 (991 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Dharma24 wrote:

Hi

I have a mp4 file which is 380mb is size. It plays perfectly on my PC on Quicktime, however when playing it on the PS3 (Via usb stick) i get no picture, only audio. The file details are below:

So what is the problem? Whenever i use the Red Kawa PS3 converter my PC crashes.

Here's a tip, and I am not being funny or anything I mean this...

Don't use rips from the internet. Seriously, the quality is never any good and you are relying on millions of chuncks of data to be taken apart and put back together from many sources. Not a good thing for quality indeed.

Instead, just convert your own DVD's using DVD Decrypter. Rename the *.vob file to *.mpg and play away.

Video codec is about 6mpbs... kick the butt off mp4 or DivX anytime of the day. Oh, and it is also in the orignal 5.1ch surround that you get from the DVD. And lastly, YES, your PS3 will play files bigger than 4GB.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4 (981 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

RedDragan wrote:

Dharma24 wrote:

Hi

Here's a tip, and I am not being funny or anything I mean this...

Don't use rips from the internet. Seriously, the quality is never any good and you are relying on millions of chuncks of data to be taken apart and put back together from many sources. Not a good thing for quality indeed.

Instead, just convert your own DVD's using DVD Decrypter. Rename the *.vob file to *.mpg and play away.

Video codec is about 6mpbs... kick the butt off mp4 or DivX anytime of the day. Oh, and it is also in the orignal 5.1ch surround that you get from the DVD. And lastly, YES, your PS3 will play files bigger than 4GB.

Speak for yourself only, as an IT professional I can vouche for the internet having some pretty decent quality rips. I have an HD television which supports 1080p and I have no problems with locating good quality files. Some poeple are not able to have everything they want to watch on their PS3 on DVD so advising someone to NOT download a movie that they clearly said they are doing defeats the purpose.

Also, he didn't state that he wanted the top quality anyway as his video was encoded to a resolution of only 640 x 480. Maybe YOU want to watch only HD quality movies but the threadmaker was not at all asking about this. Its interesting how people will tailor their answers to what THEY want rather than what the threadmaker actually requested.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4 (931 Views)
0 Kudos