[EN] Archive

PlayStation®3 Media

PlayStation®3 Media

14 Sep 2008
By: angelabeetlebug

3 Posts

Ps3 not reading game discs

8 Replies 9157 Views Created 14-09-2008

I have had my PS3 for just over a year, the warrenty expired in July. Recently when I insert game discs the system won't read them. The circle in the top right corner appears but no error messages. I can hear what I describe as whatever runs the laser suddenly stopping. I have to re-insert the disc and try again, sometimes I've tried continually for up to 20 mins and then it suddenly works. Once it reads the disc the game works fine but noticed it's taking longer each time and predict it will eventually stop working.

Audio CD's work fine. I've been a Playstation gamer since the PS1, have had problems with every system. I decided to give the PS3 the benefit of the doubt but feel it's let me down.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Would also like to know where to find the help line number.

Many thanks.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 9 (9,157 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Re: Ps3 not reading game discs

Hi There.

Playstation Customer Service Number UK:08705 99 88 77 Eire:0818 365 065.

Certainly sounds like either the Spindle/Motor or Laser is on it's last phase of life, did you take out any warranty such as Continuous Play?

Gee.

--------------------------------
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 9 (9,091 Views)
0 Kudos

No didn't take out any extended warranties, only the one year warranty that comes as standard.

Do you know if this is an expensive problem to fix?

Have you had any dealings with customer care when it comes to sorting problems? I'm just curious as to how helpful they'll be considering my warranty has expired, granted it only expired 2 months ago.

Many thanks.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 9 (9,078 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Hi.

Sony Customer Care Services are probably the best, i know of many members here that have suffered the same as yourself and have had replacement PlayStation 3 Consoles within 3 days. Not sure how you stand with the warranty now that it's expired but i have known a few members here that have contacted Sony after their warranty have expired and got either a refurbished "Repaired" console or just a replacement for new.

I did read that you can take out the Continuous Play plan even after your warranty has expired so my guess would be either to take the plan out and then contact Sony or contact Sony first regarding your problem then see how you stand with that. Sony do have a quality service unlike M$.

Gee.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 9 (9,066 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

on this forum everyone is saying how great sony are for their customer services. i have had my console for about 6 months. it has been well looked after and not a scratch or spec of dust on it. i keep it in a well ventilated place and play for abou an hour or 2 then turn it off to cool down. but i then had the dreaded disc read error. i phoned sony thinking everyone has had good experiences with them. the guy on the phone was helpful and i gave all the details then was told to send out the reciept nd other items.  a couple of days later i had a letter back saying i did not have the right reciept. i mean it was from comet. there is only one freaking reciept. i phoned them. this guy i then spoke to was rude and didnt care about my console. he told me there would be a charge of £182.50 to fix it and he basicly put the phone down on me. i am now in the process of fixing the console myself. so in my expierences sony are not at all good with the customers. i am not happy with the way i have been treated
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 9 (8,671 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

ring them back.
They will fix if its hardware issues..

however, have u even tried a lense cleaner? - u can get the cheap of good ol ebay, does it do it to every game u insert?

Actions i suggest:

Call sony again, tell them the situation again, tell them u have been to the eu forums to get advice too.

If they are not willing to look at it , then i suggest the lense cleaner.

sorry to hear about yur ps3./
symonator.net

My Youtube:: 1080p Gaming
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 9 (8,658 Views)
0 Kudos

The same thing has happened to me , my blu ray works fine and audio cds work good but the game dont appear

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 9 (7,694 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

when you get the spinning circle in the top right corner but the discs aint recognised, the problem is the laser diode in your drive has gone.  sony will repair it for you for around £100 and upto 28 days. ive had this twice, once repaired under warranty, the second time was jan this year. i got a KEM400 A laser unit  from ebay for £50 (this will fit most old style ps3s) and followed a youtube video showing how to remove and replace it. back up and running for last 2 months no problems. 

it was a bit of a fiddle and there are some delicate components that need to be removed/replaced so if your not of a practical nature i wouldnt recommend but if you've ever made an airfix model, you can take a ps3 to bits, no problem

google KEM 400A and see how widespread this problem is

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 9 (7,295 Views)
0 Kudos

I'm having the same problem to only a bit different because my ps3 plays some games,and doesn't play others,like it plays all of my call of duty's except for black ops 2! I can get it to work after I play a game that does work,but by its self won't read at all,any suggestions?I'm dying here!lol
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 9 (1,940 Views)
0 Kudos