08 Oct 2012

Playstation Staff

blu rays won't play but games and dvds are fine

3 Replies 476 Views Created 08-10-2012

Games and DVDs work absolutely fine on my PS3 but when I went to watch The Pacific on blu ray today it wouldn't load at all, the clock in the top right hand corner was spinning as if the system was attempting to load it but nothing happened until it made a horrible noise like it was trying to eject the disc but again nothing happened. So I tried my other blu rays and had exactly the same problem.

Any ideas?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4 (476 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: blu rays won't play but games and dvds are fine

If you have already tried to clean the blue ray disk/s, then it sounds as if the blue ray drive is on it's way out. I had a similar problem and eventually the blue ray drive in my old PS3 wouldn't even take any disks.

If the blue ray drive is on it's way out, it'll be better to buy a new PS. The price of buying a new PS3 isn't much more than sending your console to Sony to get a new blue ray drive in it.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4 (430 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

i had same problem not long ago, have you ever had ps3 suddenly freeze on you resulting in you having to turn it off then back on again by the mains then when it comed back on it comes up with a message saying system didn't turn off property and video content may be corrupted, do you with to perform a format, but clicked no instead? if yes then do the format then try your blu ray, this is what i did

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4 (361 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I never turn my PS3 off at the mains, i hold the power button on the console to turn it off if my console freezes.

Sony are notorious for deactivating the blue ray function on some of their blue ray players. My first stand alone blue ray player was a Sony model and about a year after i bought it, it became just a DVD player as Sony had deactivated the blue ray function on it.

I had done some research and i wasn't the only one to have the problem with the blue ray player i had bought. There was a lot of threads of people complaining that they had bought a so called Sony blue ray player, only for it to become just a DVD player a few months later.

I'll never buy another Sony stand alone blue ray player again, as it'll probably become a DVD player just like the other player i bought.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4 (327 Views)
0 Kudos