09 Jun 2012
Playstation Staff
Accepted Solution

getting true dts hd working through home theatre

8 Replies 2,498 Views Created 09-06-2012

Ok tech heads , check this one out.

Anyone got any ideas for getting Motorstorm Apocalypse and other gamES that run true dts hd to work through a home theatre using optical out.

I have a panasonic bt230 blu ray system that decodes pretty much anything but i am sure that the ps3 only outputs dts 5.1 and dolby 5.1 (cinema surround)through optical ,it looks as if 7.1 and true hd audio only outputs through hdmi. My home theatre only has optical ins and no hdmi ins.

as MS apocalypse has no option to change the audio unlike uncharted 3 (poor show!!) , i cannot play the audio at all.(unless through the tv , boooo).

Has anyone got a home theatre running hdmi ins and outs? , if so what one please. And am i really worrying too much over one game!! , probably so but when i get an idea in my head........!! :-)

cheers

by the way , you can mucjk about and change blu ray settings to get to work through optical but not the games?????

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9 (2,498 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

Re: getting true dts hd working through home theatre

[ Edited ]

If you want DTS 5.1 input. you will likely have to Turn OFF Dolby digital 5.1 in the sound options on PS3 audio menu this will force DTS audio on All games and BD.  

Upgrading to HDMI wont change this as HDMI audio sound will work Via PCM 5.1 and not DTS as PCM 5.1 is still better quality than DTS lossy encoding.

DTS MA will be converted to PCM 5.1 Audio buy the PS3 (like unzipping a file on PC ). The sound source files will be DTS but the out put audio should remain PCM. The only time DTSMA/True HD bitstream audio is used is when you have spent enough money to out do the PS3s lossless to PCM converter.

Are you making to much fuss over one game YES.

Are you making to much fuss if you watch tons of BDs, no, Upgrade to HDMI.

Are you missing one very important parts of info, yes, Whats your Budget ?...

SCEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester. Paid for NowTV subscription user from 03/2013 to 02/2014. User of... VM cable, SKY+HD, Game Capture HD II. Mobile 14 inch Screen Android kit kat 4.43.
Amazon Fire TV, chromecast... and Sky Go PS4.
Don't Need DLNA with a HTML5 browser in PS4...
Click for Plex.tv Beta video running on PS4 browser.. Enable the 1080p mode
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 9 (2,492 Views)
Level 4

Playstation Staff

thanks for the reply.

i watch blu ray through the panasonic , and 3d movies through the ps3 , my  budget would only be about £200 if i were to change , after all you have said i may stick with what i have.

When you mean turn off 5.1 i presume you mean while setting up the sound through optical by unticking?

This is all a knee jerk reaction to motorstorm not letting me change the audio to normal dolby 5.1 ,which is very sloppy and elitist , they may as well say "IF YOUR ON A BUDGET..NO 5.1 FOR YOU PAUPER BOY!!" :-)

lest face it , i only have a small 6m by 6m room so i'll never notice any differance on whether its bog standard 5.1 or all singing and dancing crystal clear i am actually in the living room 5.1. I'll just stick stuff through the a.r.c if i get stuck for quality 2.1 ,it'll still go BOOM when things explode in my 3d face!

if i was to change system do you have any ideas , the one i have for the budget is crackers good and i'm not paying another couple o hundred quid for one hdmi input but any advice is good advice , yes?

cheers.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9 (2,485 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

Yes. Go into sound options on the XMB and Detick DD5.1. DD5.1 will be gone for every thing.

This will force DTS, if allowed on that title. If not allowed it will force PCM 2.1 only. 

(DTS 5.1/PCM  has much better dynamic range than DD5.1 any way.) 

No Im not going to surgest a system for <£200 as its a waste and even more silly for just 1 free bee game, thats over a year old allready, Split second from Disney did the real time route change racing alot better any way... and was out 4 months earlier. 

SCEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester. Paid for NowTV subscription user from 03/2013 to 02/2014. User of... VM cable, SKY+HD, Game Capture HD II. Mobile 14 inch Screen Android kit kat 4.43.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9 (2,481 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Agreed , but its the best thing since , when i mean since , i mean since i got it free from psn+ last week.

When my obsession eats me up i'll outlay a bit more dollar and get soemthing like an onkyo or something , until then thank you for your help pal.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9 (2,474 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

well were on the subject save making a new thread, 

i have a blu ray player with 5.1 surround, a hdmi out, and red and white sockets on the back. and one hdmi on my 3D monitor,

how can i have 5.1 on ps3?

is it possible or do i have to use red and white cables to use all speakers but not having true 5.1.

thanks anyone who has an idea.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9 (1,934 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

What Level of 5.1 sound do you actualy want.

1. Theres Cheap as chips Dolby prologic 2 surround sound via analogue RCA/Phono cables. 
  2. Theres more expensive up to DTS optical connection surround sound.
  3. And theres up to mega expensive DTS-MA/PCM  7.1 (to be 10.1 channels at a later date) HDMI through put surround sound... that connects before the HDMI TV and passes HDMI to the HDTV unaltered.

All can be run independant of the HDMI video... from PS3 

If BD player does not have a HDMI input then it won't be number 3, You have to buy an Amp...

With HDMI conection methords... Depending on your budget.

If it has RCA/phono input it will only be option number 1. It is surround sound but just not very good any more... 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9 (1,915 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

GraphiteGB wrote:The only time DTSMA/True HD bitstream audio is used is when you have spent enough money to out do the PS3s lossless to PCM converter.

how much money do you have to spend for this.

onkyo ?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9 (1,686 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

^ Not a great deal (although it depends on what you call a great deal).

Pretty much any AVR from the last couple of years will process DTS MA HD/TrueHD. Certainly not bottom end of the budget, and far, far from top, but something like the Denon 2113 and Monitor Audio Vector Speakers will only set you back around £550 (both on offer and would have been closer to £1200 just 6 months ago). Even more entry level AVRs like the Yamaha RX373 can do justice to HD soundtracks. Like with anything, it all depends on budget.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9 (1,652 Views)
0 Kudos