02 Oct 2009
Beta Tester
Playstation Staff

Home Data - Where to find it and what it does

[ Edited ]
64 Replies 12,639 Views edited 02-10-2009

Ah, knowledge - it's a useful thing!

PlayStation Home stores data and information in multiple places on your PlayStation 3 Console. This thread is here to tell what each type of data does, where it can be found and whether or not you should touch it.

So - Let's get started!

PlayStation Home stores data in 3 areas on your PlayStation 3 Console
These are:

1. Save Game Data
2. Game Data Utility
3. Under [PlayStation Network] on your system's XMB

So - what do they do?

Save Game Data

The Save Game Data for PlayStation Home stores all the personal settings for your account. This includes:

Avatar presets (the way your avatar looks, and the clothes he/she wears)
Options settings (tinkered with the options in your PDA?  Those choices are saved here)
Furniture layouts (made your personal spaces look pretty? your interior design concepts are stored here)

Deleting your Save Game Data will mean you can still use Home, but when you next log on you'll be treated as if it were your first time in Home. Deleting the Save Game Data means you'll need to set up your avatar again, and redesign your personal spaces. Good if you fancy starting a new life, bad if you spent ages doing this in the first place :smileywink:

Game Data Utility

This is the place where external applications tell PlayStation Home to give you stuff! In short, if you earn a reward by playing a game other than Home, that game will tell Home that you've earnt a reward by writing data to the Game Data Utility.

Be warned - if you've just earnt a reward in an external game and delete the Home file in the Game Data Utility before you log on to Home and claim it, you will have to earn that reward again.

Once you've claimed a reward, your entitlement to it is stored on our servers - so deleting the Game Data for Home has no effects unless you are yet to claim a reward. This file is literally just a place for other applications and games to communicate with Home.

Under [PlayStation Network] on your system's XMB

This is the big one. With version 1.3 - you are able to select how much data you want Home to 'cache' (like short term memory - the more of it you have, the faster you can access stuff you've seen before). All that data is stored here.

Deleting the Home icon on your XMB means deleting PlayStation Home. If you do this, you will need to re-download and install the Home client. However, doing this will not remove your avatar settings or anything personal, unless you also delete the Save Game Data.

If you experience problems with PlayStation Home, we may advise you to delete the Home icon and redownload the application. Have no fear, once you've done this everything will return to normal, provided you dont delete the Save Game Data.

I hope that explains the ins and outs of saving stuff!

MB
Message Edited by MusterBuster on 02-10-2009 04:54 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 65 (12,639 Views)
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Re: Home Data - Where to find it and what it does

[ Edited ]
MB said

Furniture layouts (made your personal spaces look pretty? your interior design concepts are stored here)

Deleting your Save Game Data will mean you can still use Home, but when you next log on you'll be treated as if it were your first time in Home. Deleting the Save Game Data means you'll need to set up your avatar again, and redesign your personal spaces. Good if you fancy starting a new life, bad if you spent ages doing this in the first place :smileywink:

I went to my harbour studio after installing 1.3 and my apartment was back to the basic furniture setting. Do you know how long it took me to get my apartment looking all warm and cosy before? Too long thats how long!! Was this supposed to happen with 1.3? I never deleted my save data :smileysad:
Message Edited by GiggIz on 02-10-2009 05:00 PM
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 65 (12,544 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Is this not common knowledge anyways or is i mistaken?

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 65 (12,545 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

:smileysad: MB Please do a post about the update and why we dont have the stuff they said we would have..
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 65 (12,508 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

MB my furniture has been hit with the shrinking potion you been in my summer house again
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 65 (12,493 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

eh? ok...

isnt ik a bit late to post something like this?

but good info anyway

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 65 (12,494 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Betreff: Re: Home Data - Where to find it and what it does

candystripesdcfc hat geschrieben:
Is this not common knowledge anyways or is i mistaken?

i dont think; i never seen an owner-manual for Home.....

Merci for the explanations MB :Wink:

kass

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 65 (12,474 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Betreff: Re: Home Data - Where to find it and what it does

FIGHTFULL hat geschrieben:

eh? ok...

but good info anyway

why? did u delete the wrong data?:Evil:

kass

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 65 (12,468 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Re: Betreff: Re: Home Data - Where to find it and what it does

Kassandra_ONE schreef:

FIGHTFULL hat geschrieben:

eh? ok...

but good info anyway

why? did u delete the wrong data?:Evil:

kass

no,

but this kind of info should be posted in begin of home

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 65 (12,451 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

thanks MB see im was right your the best *starts chanting* (MB is the best) (MB is the best) (MB Is..........

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 65 (12,399 Views)
0 Kudos