11 Jun 2012
By plinkit
Playstation Staff
Accepted Solution

How bad is HDD cache repair?

6 Replies 865 Views Created 11-06-2012

I am posting this in Home tech forum as it is only in home that I get this. Lockwood Showcase being the worst offender at the moment, although it has affected me in many other places over the past few weeks. (Freeze glitchers gone fairly quiet thank goodness)

I have read many posts saying that it seriously affects your ps3 hdd.

I just wondered how badly this does actually affect your console?

Sir Piglet - The best of British pork

Poetry in Motion
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7 (865 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Re: How bad is HDD cache repair?

plinkit wrote:

I am posting this in Home tech forum as it is only in home that I get this. Lockwood Showcase being the worst offender at the moment, although it has affected me in many other places over the past few weeks. (Freeze glitchers gone fairly quiet thank goodness)

Hello. Mmm it depends on the severity of the system crash, also how you treat your HDD. For example if like some peeps, they turn off without shutting down, that'll degrade the data over time, your PS3 is like a PC, it has to shut down, can't just be turned off like oldie systems. Sooo if you look after your hard drive, the odd freeze or crash shouldn't be a problem, hopefully :smileyhappy:

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7 (826 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

GlassReaver wrote:

plinkit wrote:

Hello. Mmm it depends on the severity of the system crash, also how you treat your HDD. For example if like some peeps, they turn off without shutting down, that'll degrade the data over time, your PS3 is like a PC, it has to shut down, can't just be turned off like oldie systems. Sooo if you look after your hard drive, the odd freeze or crash shouldn't be a problem, hopefully :smileyhappy:

Thanks for the info. I do tend to shut my system done correctly everytime which is why I was concerned as to how the freezes and crashes affected it. Hopefully having done this since day 1 with my system it should stand it in good stead. Again thanks. :Thumbs:

Sir Piglet - The best of British pork

Poetry in Motion
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7 (805 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Hi I've never experience anything like this and I don't really know how this happens is it because I'm watching to much Netflix or am I playing games to much but this usually happens when I go on PS home an I'm just in a store an I wanna buy something an the next thing I know it freezes an this happens when I first start up pshome an it will load an then say [repairing hdd cache]of course like I said I have never experienced something like this so I have no clue at all what a hdd cache is.and in tiny words it say a problem has been detected in your hdd cache so we are repairing it.This problem is normally caused when playstationhome is shut down unexpectedly,and I press the power button when it freezes up can someone please tell me how to fix this. I normally don't go on PS home but I just like to be on the safe side because some of my friends go on there.please respond ASAP
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7 (659 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

1. To turn the PS3 off, when it freezes, press the power button for at least 15 seconds. This will perform a controlled shutdown, and avoid HDD problems.
2. Delete and re-install Home. This will cure the wardrobe freeze problem. (press triangle on the Home icon, select "Delete". This will take sometime, depending on the size of the cache (an area of the Hdd Home sets aside to keep a local copy of spaces, apartments etc.)).
To reinstall Home, simply select the Home icon. This will download Home, and leave you with a "clean" setup. All your avatar and apartment settings will be preserved.
Hope this helps.
Message 5 of 7 (645 Views)

Playstation Staff

So I don't loose any items I've bought at all .an a home icon is??I'm really sorry if I sound dumb.and I won't loose all my friends right oh an i don't have problem at all with my wardrobe its just ike if I go to a store I only get to buy one thing an when it freezes I press the power button but when it froze the second time I unpluged my ps3 an it went super fast,but it ended up freezing yet again so I just wanna know how to stop this an it usually occurs when I'm going in to a store an i go into a shirt section or something an it has a large amount of items it'll freeze like crazy an i get so mad.well I'm just gonna try it .thank so very much.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7 (628 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

The icon on the xmb, that you use start Home :smileyhappy:
And no, you will not lose any settings or items.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7 (609 Views)
0 Kudos