Level 4

Re : [Unofficial] Xi: Continuum Operation Sandman

[ Edited ]

Message posted from my PS3:

I have issues with my PC since this morning. I've tried to fix it for about 1hr this morning before I was forced to leave for work, and then tried yet again during half an hour during my lunch break, but without success. I think it's my ethernet card which is dead.

Since I'll most likely won't have the time to fix this issue before the week-end, I'll have to put the game on hold for now, probably till Monday.

I'm really sorry.

Just to keep you from continuing to bang your head on a challenge which already was solved, I'll tell you that the key was indeed found.

Spoiler
The key is "Orion"

La plus ancienne et la plus puissante émotion ressentie par l'être humain, c'est la peur. Et la forme la plus puissante de peur, c'est la Peur de l'Inconnu. -- H.P. Lovecraft
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 61 of 70 (556 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

(OOC: My Pc's finally fixed. It was indeed the ethernet card. Let's get going with the game...)

Day 66 of the Continuum

Primer Day 66:

Spoiler

Finding the key "Orion" has allowed us to open the Dead-Box file without further difficulties. The file mainly contains information on the spreading of a viral program called 5n0w, but it also reveals the nature of 5n0w and its ultimate goal: 5n0w is the container for half of a program which, once reunited with its other half will generate a kind of firewall in the core of Home, creating a DMZ which would allow the Praetorian Guard (and anyone managing to get access) to create their own spaces in Home outside of Axiom's influence (see Axopedia article "5n0w and Ch4rm1ng" for more information). This Primer Program, devoting 3.1% of available RAM, has calculated a 96% chance that this would be the "New Eden" mentionned in some of the Praetorians' messages.

Once again the Praetorians show a inner knowledge of Axiom's protocols since, like for the SPSI system, they made 5n0w completely invisible to the I/O Data Sniffer. Our teams have been working over the clock to modify the Data Sniffer ever since we discovered the nature of the SPSI and yet they report no progress. We therefore cannot hope to have discovered a way to eradicate 5n0w before it can be reunited with its other half without getting a deeper access to the Praetorians systems.

There are 2 possible courses of action which are still open to us:

1) The file mentions someone, or something, called "Wi11i4m-731" who/which is to be the vector of Ch4rm1ng. Discovering the nature/identity of Wi11i4am-731 could allow to us to create a quarantine program which would at the very least delay the Praetorians plans, if not thwart them completely.
There is a high probability (note from Primer Program: 78%) that the point of injection for Ch4rm1ng is located near SPSI 10 (it would explain why this apparently worthless space was given such a high rating), therefore monitoring the activity there has become of the highest priority. It should allow us to uncover the nature/identity of Wi11i4m-731. You must therefore attend to one of the maintenances of SPSI 10 ASAP.
(OOC: Post in this thread before 4PM GMT to announce your intent to witness the day's maintenance, and specify if you wish the "meeting" to take place at either 5PM or 10PM GMT.)

2) We could try to hack back into Aeropal #1013/CSM (Praetorian designation N.E.W.T.O.N.). This would provide us with a direct link to the Praetorians' systems. However, there are 2 prerequisites to a successful hack of this Aeropal, first that we know in which space NashTrickster will be for quite a lengthy amount of time and second that his attention be occupied elsewhere or he will very likely discover the attempt.
Your constant monitoring of NashTrickster's activities have provided us with the necessary information to be able to hope succeding. He likes to play a game called "Slay" (in the Dust 514 Event Horizon Lounge) and we could hack the Aeropal while he is occupied playing.
If, regardless of our warnings against getting too close to him, you already have NashTrickster in your friend list, simply send him an invite to play a game of Slay (if you don't have him in your friend list, send him a request with "Wanna play Slay?" as the motive)...
Once ready to play the game, you'll have to shut down the Aeropal's alarm. Simply post the following on Home (just like while chatting): XoffCmd{Alarm(#1013/CSM)=Closed; return=0}
Be careful for typos, NashTrickster won't be able to read it if the code is correctly entered but any typo would alert him to our attempt!
Then all you have to do is get the game to last long enough, which means you'll have to represent a decent challenge (or play several games if he wins too quickly).

Axopedia Article "5n0w and Ch4rm1ng":

Spoiler

According to the Dead-Box File, 5n0w is a viral-container, a program designed to spread as quickly as possible, attaching itself to as many legit files within Home and lie in wait.
5n0w contains only one half of a program. The other half is to be realeased at a later date, via another viral-container named "Ch4rm1ng".

Once both 5n0w and Ch4rm1ng will have attached themselves to a given file, they will fuse together, re-assembling the complete program they both contain in part. This method of dispertion was chosen because both 5n0w and Ch4rm1ng are innocuous enough to get past Home's security systems while the program they contain would not. But once both its constituants are already past the firewalls, the program will spread unhindered.

The file reveals that the release of these programs was problematic for the Praetorians. Finding an injection point took a lot of effort and, once they finally located a suitable one, it remained open only long enough for 5n0w to make it through, Home's firewalls then closed this injection point making it useless in the future and forcing the Praetorians to search for another one for Ch4rm1ng.
Moreover, 5n0w was responsible for a number of unforeseen problems, such as creating the famous Z(12,-2) error, which could have geopardized the whole attempt by uncovering the Praetorians agenda too soon. They therefore had to rework Ch4rm1ng almost from scratch, correcting it to avoid these problems, which delayed its injection.

The file also reveals what the fusion of 5n0w and Ch4rm1ng would cause, creating a very strong firewall inside the core of Home itself, which would allow the Praetorians to have a base of operation free of Axiom's scrutinity. They could then either create their own spaces free from our influence, or even "move" any Home space they wish within this "bubble" (by expanding it), and even the whole of Home, shutting us out of it. In other words, it would allow for an hostile take-over if they wished to. This ability was merely built-in as a bargain tool. A latent threat which, would we ever attempting to breach the "bubble", would allow the Praetorians to shut us off completely.

The rest of the file is merely data on the spreading patterns of 5n0w, which will serve in making Ch4rm1ng more efficient.

MISSION SUMMARY FOR TODAY:

Spoiler

1) Monitor SPSI 10's location and report your findings about Wi11i4m-731 here.
2) Play a game of Slay against NashTrickster to allow a hack of his Aeropal.
3) Read the Axopedia Article "5n0w and Ch4rm1ng"
4) Try to locate NashTrickster online and monitor his activities. Do not confront!

La plus ancienne et la plus puissante émotion ressentie par l'être humain, c'est la peur. Et la forme la plus puissante de peur, c'est la Peur de l'Inconnu. -- H.P. Lovecraft
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 62 of 70 (530 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

(OOC: I was too busy at work these last 2 days to be able to post, thus I did not count these days in the timeline of the game.)

Day 69 of the Continuum

Primer Day 69:

Spoiler

Your monitoring of SPSI 10 finally paid off. An agent was able to attend the maintenance of the SPSI and thanks to his surveillance, we've learned a few very important facts.

First, unlike what we suspected, he discovered that the SPSI data is not downloaded via N.E.W.T.O.N. but directly into the avatar of the person doing the maintenance. (See video excerpt below.)
Now that we are aware of this fact, the Xoff-Cola Team has come up with a way to track where those data go and maybe a way to monitor directly the activities of the Praetorians. We will attach a marker to the data of the known SPSI and follow it, which may lead us to the Praetorians systems. The marker will also attach itself definitively to the the avatar it is downloaded into allowing us to keep track of NashTrickster's whereabouts (and of any other Praetorian who would have SPSI maintenance duties.)

SPSI_DL_anim.gif
Video excerpt of the SPSI data download by NashTrickster.

Then, the agent was able to record the chat log, even though some entries are missing because NashTrickster moved a lot through the space and our agent could not remain in range all the time...

chat_log.jpg
A copy of the chat log as recorded by our agent.

(Translation:
<fragment>
[L]NashTrickster: log_entry/D68-025: Data transfer completed. Deploying Wi11i4m-731
[L]NashTrickster: log_entry/D68-026: Scan in progress...
<missing entry>
[L]NashTrickster: log_entry/D68-028: Scan positive, injection point located. D-5 to injection.
[L]NashTrickster: log_entry/D68-029: Mission complete. Relocating.
</fragment>)

From this fragmental log and the agents observations, we have learnt the nature of Wi11i4m-731, the exact location of the injection point and when the injection of Ch4rm1ng is to take place, in 4 days from now.

Wi11i4m-731 is a modified version of Stapler, probably reprogrammed to detect suitable injection points and to be the vector of the release of 5n0w and Ch4rm1ng. The Xoff-Cola Team is confident that with this information they will be able to come up with a targeted virus which should render this Stapler-clone inoperative and keep the Praetorians from releasing Ch4rm1ng.

Knowing the exact location of the injection point has allowed us to scan the area ourselves and to discover what characteristics are necessary for a suitable one. And our Teams have found a sure way to close these down and make them forever unsuitable to the Praetorians' use. (We will however wait till the last moment to close the one near SPSI 10, to avoid alerting the Praetorians that we have uncovered this information.)

Therefore, we will soon have the means to thrwart the Praetorians' plans. But putting a definitive end to the threat they represent would be a much better course of action. Hence, we need you to continue with our plan to locate their systems, which means challenging NashTrickster to a game of Slay A.S.A.P. (as described in the previous Primer).

Spoiler

1) Play a game of Slay against NashTrickster to allow a hack of his Aeropal.
2) Try to locate NashTrickster online and monitor his activities. Do not confront!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 63 of 70 (458 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Addendum Day 71:

Spoiler

We just received this open letter from NashTrickster:

Xi-Nash-with-QR.gif
Corner.JPG

You really thought I would not discover you were investigating on me? LMAO. You'd have to drastically improve your discretion skills!

Whoever you are Axiom, you once again show you aren't able of taking the right decisions at the right time. Home won't ever be safe as long as its security is left into your hands. Your actions only serve to create new enemies, and you've proven you are incompetent in dealing with threats in due time.

Well, I'm not as stubborn as the AS-0. Nor as blunt as EFD and consorts. So I'll give you a chance to do things right this time, and settle this peacefully. Come to my meeting, I've left you all the information you need to be there.

Just don't try any of your old tricks with me, I know them all, been "with you" long enough.

Be seeing you! (If you're smart enough to find me there.)

celtic-avy.JPGQuis custodiet ipsos custodes?
(Finally willing to provide an answer to this question Axiom?)

==============================================================================

NashTrickster's discovery of our monitoring of his activities means he could decide to accelerate his plans, we have therefore put in place the injection point blocker and have attached a Stapler-specific virus to it. If the Praetorians try to go on with their original plan they'll have a little surprise.

However, we can't rule out that they had a plan B ready if we managed to stop their original one and thus we need to get as much information as we can A.S.A.P.

Finding the time and location of this meeting, and attending it, has thus now become a priority.

(OOC: Since you should have me in your friend list by now, once you'll have found the location simply PM me on the PS3 and we'll decide the time together.)

Spoiler

1) Play a game of Slay against NashTrickster to allow a hack of his Aeropal.
2) Find the location of the meeting with NashTrickster and be present.
3) Try to locate NashTrickster online and monitor his activities. Do not confront!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 64 of 70 (413 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

[ Edited ]

I think I've got it now:

Spoiler
The pic of NashTrickster is an animated gif, with one occasional frame showing a QR code.
Reading this takes you to http://axiom-meeting.angelfire.com/
And highlighting the text reveals:
   Where Newton's Law is accidental,
   Follow in the steps of Theseus.
   I'll be waiting for you...
Spoiler
I think I need to do the Gravity Crash maze (is that still in Home) and meet you at the end like Theseus in the Minotaur's labyrinth.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 65 of 70 (402 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

[ Edited ]

Spoiler

And you got it right...

As far as finding the Gravity Crash space is concerned, you simply have to get there through the PSN Sphere.

But, since we'll have to take an appointment, I'll just get there first and send you an invite, so it won't be too hard to find. :smileywink:

(But nothing forbids you from getting there before hand and practicing a little to be able to finish the labyrinth quickly on the day of the appointment!)

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 66 of 70 (396 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

The results of my meeting:

Spoiler
Photo 25-02-2013 22 56 56.jpg
Apparently there is also a password staring us in the face too. Something in the names...

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 67 of 70 (361 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Fin?

There... I hope you had a great time playing... I sure had a great one coming up with all the challenges.

I'd really like to know what you enjoyed or didn't enjoy, to be able to improve if I ever do something like that in the future!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 68 of 70 (349 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

[ Edited ]

(The above message in blue should read "The End?", don't know what passed through my head while I was typing for me to make such a mistake... I can only call that a brain fart... :smileywink: )

Well, no critics?

Come on guys... I really think (constructive) criticism is necessary to improve, so your opinions are more than welcome!

Did you felt like some of the challenges were too complex? Or were they overall too easy?

Did you felt like anything was missing for a yet better experience?

I want to know!

Op-SM-final.jpg

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 69 of 70 (323 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Re: [Unofficial] Xi: Continuum Operation Sandman

Whilst can't really comment on your event since I lost all interest in Xi very early on and didn't participate.
But it's clear you have put a lot of effort into extending the Xi experience. Good Job :thumbsup:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 70 of 70 (312 Views)
0 Kudos