09 Feb 2012
By LordRoss

LordRoss

• Community Coordinator

Don't be shy speak up!

100 Replies 1,041 Views Created 09-02-2012
09 Feb 2012
By LordRoss

I've been pottering around Home all morning, checking out the new space and everything.  Everything looks nice and all except there is one thing missing.

Without the usual suspects that I happen to come across from time to time and have a nice chinwag to, I seem to struggle to get any conversation of the majority of Home users.  Any at all! Not even and I kid you not, not even a "hello".

I've been charming, I've been funny, I've always been friendly but I wont resort to changing my avatar to a female for attention, as that's not the kinda attention I'm looking for :D but not one person has spoken back.

I just want a hello at the very least :(

I understand somewhat if ya don't speak English, I suppose I will let you off for that, and if ya truly are too busy to say hello as ya exploring then I guess that is just about ok....just about. 

But isn't one of the main points of PlayStation Home is the social aspect, talking and meeting like minded gamers and meeting potential PSN friends to be added? 

Come on guys and girls, stop being shy and say hello.  It's nice to be friendly sometimes too ya know :Thumbs:.

Is there anything I could do besides changing sex to encourage those around me on Home to actually speak rather than stand gormlessly looking at a wall or NCP or even just dance along to themselves?

Do you guys have more success interacting on Home when ya not with ya Home friends or are you all as guilty as everyone else and refusing to say hi or have a friendly chat to someone random?

Are there better spaces than others for conversations?

What am I missing?

In the words of Bob Hoskins "It's good to talk" :Thumbs:

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

WitchBIade

68%
02 Rank
Progress
WitchBIade
Accepted Solution
Well hello everyone!

Changing to a girl for a hello? lol

Changing genders used to involve knives and surgeons, ... it's all point and click now....
0 Kudos

Re: Don't be shy speak up!

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Furys-embrace

94%
07 Rank
Progress
Furys-embrace
Accepted Solution

Best icebreaker I ever heard was "Hi I'm Michael. Im really interested in soup, tell me, whats your favourite?' It was just so random I couldn't help but laugh coffee out of my nose.

As for the OP stating people come on home and just stand around not talking? My solution is get rid of the virtual keyboard altogether and make the use of usb keyboards mandatory, also replace L1 phrases with ones that must be typed with a usb keyboard then can be saved. Might sound harsh to remove the virtual keyboard but would you play god of war with a pc mouse? Coming on home ill equipped to communicate is the same thing. Its a 3d chat room thats all so have the correct tools to chat, people. Those that have a keyboard are far more likely to talk and use it (as proven by the text bubble 0rgy that are the sunday night community meets) the only thing you cant guarantee is if someone employing the use of a keyboard will actually be worth talking and listening to. 

sorry for the thread necromancy btw but I wasnt reading these boards when it was originally posted and its a good topic worthy of debate in my opinion.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

OoO-avatar-OoO

83%
05 Rank
Progress
OoO-avatar-OoO
Accepted Solution

Furys-embrace wrote:

Best icebreaker I ever heard was "Hi I'm Michael. Im really interested in soup, tell me, whats your favourite?' It was just so random I couldn't help but laugh coffee out of my nose.

As for the OP stating people come on home and just stand around not talking? My solution is get rid of the virtual keyboard altogether and make the use of usb keyboards mandatory, also replace L1 phrases with ones that must be typed with a usb keyboard then can be saved. Might sound harsh to remove the virtual keyboard but would you play god of war with a pc mouse? Coming on home ill equipped to communicate is the same thing. Its a 3d chat room thats all so have the correct tools to chat, people. Those that have a keyboard are far more likely to talk and use it (as proven by the text bubble 0rgy that are the sunday night community meets) the only thing you cant guarantee is if someone employing the use of a keyboard will actually be worth talking and listening to. 

sorry for the thread necromancy btw but I wasnt reading these boards when it was originally posted and its a good topic worthy of debate in my opinion.

The only problem I see with this idea is the new people coming on home for the first time.  Did any us log into home for the very first time with a USB keyboard at the ready?  I had no idea what home was and it took me a few weeks of struggling with the virtual keyboard before I gave in and plugged in a USB Keyboard. Until that time I was perfectly happy exploring all the spaces and keeping to myself. 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TriniLucille10

92%
03 Rank
Progress
TriniLucille10
Accepted Solution

OoO-avatar-OoO wrote:
Until that time I was perfectly happy exploring all the spaces and keeping to myself. 

And you thought the red shades, red sweatpants and black vest would just wow them women out there, right?  ;)  Lol

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

OoO-avatar-OoO

83%
05 Rank
Progress
OoO-avatar-OoO
Accepted Solution

TriniLucille10 wrote:

OoO-avatar-OoO wrote:
Until that time I was perfectly happy exploring all the spaces and keeping to myself. 

And you thought the red shades, red sweatpants and black vest would just wow them women out there, right?  ;)  Lol

Ignorance is Bliss... 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Ankovmovtov

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Ankovmovtov
Accepted Solution

It seems this thread has been revived, so I might just as well reply to it. 

I don't use an USB keyboard, but I'm well-used to basic one you control with your controller. I find myself typing faster than some keyboard users honestly, and I have no fear of talking to other people. 

The problem mentioned earlier -that talking to other players gives them the idea you have a crush on them- is very true, but to avoid that I never start a conversation with a stranger with 'Hello' or something like that. I usually comment on something, such as 'are those the new clothes Lockwood released?' or 'got booted again?' if I see someone getting kicked a few times. People generally welcome you noticing that, and as you didn't use the L1, they usually reply back. 

The one thing that tires me though, is the amount of pervs talking to my avatar. Last night I was harrassed and called names by a couple of guys in the PS Vita Lounge for absolutely no reason, and Home Square is perv gallore. I rather have no attention save for my friends, than that kind of attention.

The language barrier can be an obstacle if you don't speak any other languages. It is somewhat annoying to keep telling someone I'm not French or German. I usually move to another space if nobody cares to speak English, as my skills with both other languages aren't sufficient to engage in a good conversation.

So LordRoss, you might want to comment on people's clothes style on home, or on recent events. Much like how you start a conversation with someone at a bus stop in real life: just talk about the weather, that the bus is late (again) or something else. People usually talk back then, unless they really don't want to talk. If you greet a total stranger with 'hello' in real life, they might reply back, but it creates a weird situation as they don't know you yet. General comments raise sympathy, and therefore they feel more comfortable talking to you.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TriniLucille10

92%
03 Rank
Progress
TriniLucille10
Accepted Solution

Ankovmovtov wrote:

I don't use an USB keyboard, but I'm well-used to basic one you control with your controller. I find myself typing faster than some keyboard users honestly, and I have no fear of talking to other people. 

The problem mentioned earlier -that talking to other players gives them the idea you have a crush on them- is very true, but to avoid that I never start a conversation with a stranger with 'Hello' or something like that. I usually comment on something, such as 'are those the new clothes Lockwood released?' or 'got booted again?' if I see someone getting kicked a few times. People generally welcome you noticing that, and as you didn't use the L1, they usually reply back. 

The one thing that tires me though, is the amount of pervs talking to my avatar. Last night I was harrassed and called names by a couple of guys in the PS Vita Lounge for absolutely no reason, and Home Square is perv gallore. I rather have no attention save for my friends, than that kind of attention.

The language barrier can be an obstacle if you don't speak any other languages. It is somewhat annoying to keep telling someone I'm not French or German. I usually move to another space if nobody cares to speak English, as my skills with both other languages aren't sufficient to engage in a good conversation.

So LordRoss, you might want to comment on people's clothes style on home, or on recent events. Much like how you start a conversation with someone at a bus stop in real life: just talk about the weather, that the bus is late (again) or something else. People usually talk back then, unless they really don't want to talk. If you greet a total stranger with 'hello' in real life, they might reply back, but it creates a weird situation as they don't know you yet. General comments raise sympathy, and therefore they feel more comfortable talking to you.

X2  :Thumbs:

It's aways nice to get compliments or interest like that, be it on avatar outfits or real outfits.

So come on then you charmers, be honest...does my ava look fat in this? Huh? HUH? Lol :smileytongue:

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

OoO-avatar-OoO

83%
05 Rank
Progress
OoO-avatar-OoO
Accepted Solution

TriniLucille10 wrote:

Ankovmovtov wrote:

X2  :Thumbs:

It's aways nice to get compliments or interest like that, be it on avatar outfits or real outfits.

So come on then you charmers, be honest...does my ava look fat in this? Huh? HUH? Lol :smileytongue:

I get this one wrong half the time.   You want me to say….    No? 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Furys-embrace

94%
07 Rank
Progress
Furys-embrace
Accepted Solution

Loaded question Avatar, doesnt matter what you say it will be wrong. Women.....

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TriniLucille10

92%
03 Rank
Progress
TriniLucille10
Accepted Solution

K. I see.

...NO, I SAID I'M FINE!

:Lol:

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Furys-embrace

94%
07 Rank
Progress
Furys-embrace
Accepted Solution

Ok, no your arse dont look fat but those bloomin Adidas trackies I always see you in look a bit, chav-tastic. ;)

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TriniLucille10

92%
03 Rank
Progress
TriniLucille10
Accepted Solution

Furys-embrace wrote:

Ok, no your arse dont look fat but those bloomin Adidas trackies I always see you in look a bit, chav-tastic. ;)

I SAID I'M FINE!!!!!!

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Furys-embrace

94%
07 Rank
Progress
Furys-embrace
Accepted Solution

Blimey, dont get your sports leisure wear in a twist.......

And only the WELSH have the right to post pictures of dragons, its the law.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Ankovmovtov

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Ankovmovtov
Accepted Solution

TriniLucille10 schreef:

Furys-embrace wrote:

I SAID I'M FINE!!!!!!

LMAO!!!! :smileylol:

Good one Trini!

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

GoodBytes

• Award Winner
94%
08 Rank
Progress
GoodBytes
Accepted Solution

TriniLucille10 wrote:

I SAID I'M FINE!!!!!!

Tell the Truth... *I say looking Trini deep in the eyes*

:smileywink:

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Fritches

97%
10 Rank
Progress
Fritches
Accepted Solution

GoodBytes wrote:

TriniLucille10 wrote:

I SAID I'M FINE!!!!!!

Now you've done.

0 Kudos

Life is like a rollercoaster ... you've just got to choose the right one :)

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TriniLucille10

92%
03 Rank
Progress
TriniLucille10
Accepted Solution

Fritches wrote:

GoodBytes wrote:

TriniLucille10 wrote:

I SAID I'M FINE!!!!!!

Now you've done.

You'll all be foolishly telling me to 'calm down' next....oh well I'm really sleepy, nitenite guys, and I'll tear you all a new one in the morning, lol  :Lol:  :Sleep:

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

KrazyFace

98%
08 Rank
Progress
KrazyFace
Accepted Solution
Hey Trini, calm down! LOL, sorry, couldn't resist.

I usually hang back from a convo for a few reasons, 1) To see how fast they're talking, there's just no fun in waiting 10mins for a reply every time you ask or say something. 2) To see what they're talking about, if it's something I know about or enjoy then I'll... 3) Wait for the right time to come into the convo at a convenient time, and with something constructive to say.

Running up to people and blurting out "HELLO" or "WHERE ARE YOU FROM" is only likely to do one of two things: 1) Freak the person out to the point of real fear, where they need to run and hide or 2) See No.1 lol
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Legendary_Vicki

93%
08 Rank
Progress
Legendary_Vicki
Accepted Solution
Trini you're asking for it with these lot lol :P

You tell em' though. Good to see someone keeping them in line ;)
0 Kudos

FFXIV Server - Gilgamesh.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TriniLucille10

92%
03 Rank
Progress
TriniLucille10
Accepted Solution

Legendary_Vicki wrote:
Trini you're asking for it with these lot lol :P

You tell em' though. Good to see someone keeping them in line ;)

I'm just playing with em, Vix :smileywink:

They are my little ant farm that I play with, and they know who really holds the magnifying glass! Lol :Lol:

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Legendary_Vicki

93%
08 Rank
Progress
Legendary_Vicki