12-12-2008 08:12 AM - edited 12-12-2008 08:12 AM
There's no other word for it. It's a money sink. It's poorly designed. It has irritating music and ***** bubble machines? The load times stink and there's F all to do.
Seriously, Sony... ***** man... What a waste of my HDD space.
on 12-12-2008 09:38 AM
on 12-12-2008 09:42 AM
Seriously, then don't play it.
I don't mean to sound harsh, but if constructive critism isn't given, then it's just whinging. I've spent most of the day on Home; I can see the potential for it being 'boring', but by next week the updates will start coming quick and fast. I've found it really enjoyable (mostly because I have a keypad/headset and can communicate with people).
on 12-12-2008 11:11 AM
Here's some constructive criticism...
1. Too $$$. Gotta give more things (choice of footwear for example) for free.Can't just turn it into a cash pool without some content for free. Sure I can use the basics without paying a cent, but then you look like the 'generic' person in the world, and you look like everyone else, and that's really missing a core element.
2. Loading times are irritating and ruin the flow of the it all. Work on mimimising it.
3. Update the graphics. Looks like it really was made 4 years ago.
4. Fix the animations. You walk like a corpse.
5. Reduce the ads. It will never happen, but you should. Getting spammed by J-Pop-like tunes all the time is annoying.
6. The video streaming quality is terrible. Give me a reason to go to the theatre in Home. Why wouldn't I just download a HQ version of the trailer from Apple and watch it 5 times over in the same time it takes to go and watch a dodgy quality version in a brightly lit theatre?
7. It needs to be more... I dunno, focused on entertainment and less on being a Second Life imitation.
8. Everything needs to be more intuitive (I believe). It's all too 'technical'. Now, before you Home lovers accuse me of being 'simple', I'm not, but that is my opinion. It should be a little easier to jump in and out of, but instead you have to commit a bit of time to it to get into it, load it up, go to the place you want to go etc.
For the record, I was never looking forward to Home, so it's not as if I'm upset that my dreams were quashed. This may have been more impressive years ago, but it feels dated now.
on 12-12-2008 11:57 AM
I agree with a lot of FM's criticism. One thing I disagree on is the dated bit. Honestly, I think home has incredible potential, it is just a long way from it at the moment.
I'd love my ps3 to just boot into home (yeah, without the load times, which aren't terrible, but certainly aren't good). Then when I was in home, i could start ANY game directly from it, and quit from games back into it. And with more game interaction, it would be neat if the game lobby between rounds was an actual home themed room etc. Also, if we could watch our own vids/music, and just share music and video, and upload clips from home striaght to video sharing sites like youtube, etc, Could be pretty cool. While I'm dreaming, they could fix that theatre, it is pretty ***** lame that it has to load the videos and doesn't stream them.
It does seem a bit money focused, when perhaps ads should be sustaining it. I don't think reducing ads will ever happen, revenue has to come from somewhere, you can't have more free stuff and less ads. doesn't work anywhere else, including the internet, so just enjoy the fact that free stuff is there BECAUSE of the ads. btw, does turning down the ambient noise reduce that ad spam?
I reckon home is pretty ordinary in it's current state, but has so much potential, it could be the killer UI for the console in a few years time. my 2 cents anyway.
on 12-12-2008 11:58 AM
Free beta trial exclusive to all PlayStation Plus members.
Website ©2013 Sony Computer Entertainment Europe
All content, game titles, trade names and/or trade dress, trademarks, artwork and associated imagery are trademarks and/or copyright material of their respective owners. All rights reserved. [more info]