Level 10

Playstation Staff

Re: Mixed Languages

Tod_UK wrote:

My mentioning the forums was really an example of how you can't expect people to take part in something they don't understand.

Of course you can't have forums in various languages, but equally you can't have home in multiple languages when it was set up to link people together to play games online.

Social networks will only work if they help people to interact and make it easy for them to do so. Mixing languages does nothing but pad the rooms out, which may look good when you enter a room, but does nothing to get people networking and communicating - the whole reason for the service is it not??

You should never have mentioned the forum in this thread, in my opinion. Because of the difference between the forum and Home.

But, with that said, the subject you're raising makes for an interesting discussion.

What I'd like to know is, where would you place me in Home, when I relocate to Home Square from the Navigator?

My main language is Danish, I have no problem communicating in English, and I have a good understanding of German.

You can't really avoid mixing languages in a service like Home.

As a side-note, when I set up my account, I couldn't even select my own language from the list, when I chose my main language(s) on the Account. (They did update it later on, and you can change it again via Account Management)

Battlelog - The Battlefield Sunday Event: Sundays 8pm
and Battlefield 4 DLC Wednesdays, at 8pm
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 34 (251 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Okay, let's get one thing straight - It was only an example but the forum covers everything PlayStation (this isn't the only board, ya know :smileyvery-happy:) and has several language moderators/community team checking it. Home only covers Home, though it benefits from the same language moderation. Furthermore a forum has everything archived so everything to some degree requires moderation. Home only has what is reported added to the moderation queue.

Real world

In the real world, English can be a main language but not necessarily the one you speak the most. In the real world, we do not deport people if we see them speaking something that isn't English (maybe 200 years ago but not now!). In the real world, such as my city, I can walk into my city centre and not be able to have a convo with a good portion of the passers by on a market day because they are speaking another language.

Virtual world

In a virtual world and the Internet, the intention is that you are all united. In a virtual world, you are encouraged to talk to people you've never met before. In a virtual world, you are meant to attain to a peak of society you cannot reach in a real world. While the latter of these 3 points definitely doesn't happen (humans aren't evolved enough) choosing to divide people on something as simple as what language they speak is backwards!

Let's say you decided to go to Japanese Home - Would you like it if they were going "Hey that guy is spe-a-kin En-ga-lish! Get him! Kick from server!". That is essentially what you are saying about all the other users of Home that don't speak your language. I would like to hear peoples' views from the other language boards on this (even the Aussies, you speak a different language, right? :smileyvery-happy: jk ). I have no problem trying to speak to foreigners (I'm multilingual).

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 34 (243 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

The best thing about EU home is all the different countries in it. Considering most of my friends are from non English speaking countries I have no trouble as they speak fairly if not better English than me. I find the OP xenophobic attitude to be idiotic.

But then being an Aussie means I do make up words as I go along :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 34 (232 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Oh here we go, I am xenophobic now, I will add that to becoming a biggot from earlier and laugh it off in much the same way!

I am glad a comparison to the real world was made, but the conclusions are ridiculous, my wanting home to make it easier for me to chat to people I can actually converse with and comparing it to "sending people home" is a completely farcical and over dramatic response - and holds no similarity at all in what I am suggesting - so please don't make this a race issue and taking the moral high ground over this please.

As for the description of the virtual world - great, sounds fantastic I wish we could all reach the "peak of society" as you have, but unfortunately most of us only speak one language - so we still can't communicate no matter who you throw us together with, and need technology to bring us together with those we can communicate with. 

Putting people with those that speak the same language is not "choosing to divide people" it is "helping them get together".  Putting a guy who only speaks German in the same room as a load of people who only speak French does nothing for the guy in terms of social networking does it?

Now I suggested earlier about having a drop down of preferred language, people who can talk in different languages can hop around wherever they want, just change the drop down, how about a multilingual area too for all you super beings?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 34 (215 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Us Aussies talk Australian... (Crikey).... See.!! :smileyhappy:

This isn't anything new this has been suggested a few times now

It's not going to change anytime soon (if at all) so best to get use to it...

Besides i like the fact we can mingle with other countries

Thanks to the French we now have our own version of the French kiss The only difference being is.[DELETED] .... :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 34 (209 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Well how do you think i feel?... when i got my PS3 and created my account i couldnt think of a name to use as my ID, So i looked in the food cupboard and saw a pack of Pasta called 'pr1mo' aparently its italian (pasta? makes sence)... Now every time i walk around home i get Italians coming to me greeting me and talking to me in italian. I dont know WHAT they are saying but nod and agree and then walk away. But it would be so much nicer if i went into home squar or wherever and i could understand everybody coz people who's 1st language is english generaly only speak english. which is ironic when you think england is known as imigration nation.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 34 (197 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

It's just not going to happen.

What would you rather see PSHome as a region free service?

Where it didn't matter what part of the world you live in.

Everyone would be united..

Or

A PSHome that is divided depending on the country you live in/ language you speak?

where it would (in my opinion) restrict the kind of enjoyment that PSHome already has

Putting such a thing into place would be taking a big step back in getting Home "region free"

Someone on the Aus/NZ home forum suggested putting an translator into the core client so you can talk with others that may-not speak the same as you  Witch the op has kind of already mentioned

I think THAT!. would be as close as it would get.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 34 (185 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Universal translators - worked in Star Trek :smileyhappy:

Gets my vote.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 34 (179 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

How much of drag is is it to find English speakers? Let's think about that. How tough can that be, hmm?

Try this tried-and-true method: using your eyes, look towards the chat boxes whilst in Home and when you see people speaking in English -- you've found your people! See, you don't have to get dragged down after all! Je vous en prie. De nada.

A big reason why I like the EU region is due to our ability to interact with those from different cultures, learning about those people and their languages.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 34 (163 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

So you think they should make more servers that Finns can hang whit couple of gamers ?? No point in this sinceI rather speak English then just hang whit Finnish friends -.-
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 34 (148 Views)
0 Kudos