04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Mixed Languages

[ Edited ]
33 Replies 686 Views edited 24-02-2011
Why, oh why does Sony mix all languages together for home? It makes the experience so much of a drag having to find people speaking the same language.

Sony don't mix languages on the forum, so why do they do it with home?
0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

Adrena1in_70

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Adrena1in_70
Accepted Solution

So you want a separate Home for every language on the planet?  That's a bit excessive.  Plus many people from non-English-speaking countries can speak English pretty well, (better than me in many cases and English is the only language I know), so I think European Home is fine.  Whenever I go on home I'm embarassed by how little I can get by speaking a foreign language, when *most* foreigners can get by perfectly well with English.

It's not hard to find someone you can talk to who understands you.

0 Kudos

Re: Mixed Languages

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world.
Beta Tester
/16

Tod_UK

• Beta Tester
84%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Tod_UK
Accepted Solution

So how come the forums are divided then? Surely they should all be combined then?

It may not be hard to find people speaking your language, but technology is supposed to make it easier for you - which may well account for a reason for people not to bother with home at all. How hard is a language drop down, even if it just applies to the home square?

Only languages like English, French, Spanish and German would need to be covered (in Europe Home).

Using the home square as an example, it is created many times however many people are logged in to home, as each home square can only handle a certain amount of people.  It would be beneficial to all if people speaking the same language were put together as a preference.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Beta Tester
/16

Pacman_Ownage

• Beta Tester
98%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Pacman_Ownage
Accepted Solution

Tod_UK wrote:

So how come the forums are divided then? Surely they should all be combined then?

It may not be hard to find people speaking your language, but technology is supposed to make it easier for you - which may well account for a reason for people not to bother with home at all. How hard is a language drop down, even if it just applies to the home square?

Only languages like English, French, Spanish and German would need to be covered (in Europe Home).

Using the home square as an example, it is created many times however many people are logged in to home, as each home square can only handle a certain amount of people.  It would be beneficial to all if people speaking the same language were put together as a preference.

How can you even compare the forums and Home? They are two totally different services, and saying because one is seperate the other should be is ludicrous.

And there would need to be every language covered... except scandanavian languages, as we know Home doesn't like scandanavians :(

You seem a bit bigoted to be honest :P

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

Tod_UK

• Beta Tester
84%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Tod_UK
Accepted Solution

Pacman_Ownage wrote:

How can you even compare the forums and Home? They are two totally different services, and saying because one is seperate the other should be is ludicrous.

And there would need to be every language covered... except scandanavian languages, as we know Home doesn't like scandanavians :(

How is it ludicrous?  We have an English forum because people can't be bothered to go through threads they can't understand to get to something they can take part in - Home is no different.  Technology is here to help us, not hinder.

Home used to be put into languages so it is possible. 

Your bigoted acusation is the usual bull people spout when they can't win an argument.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
MVP
/16

strangeplaice

• MVP
95%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
strangeplaice
Accepted Solution

Tod_UK wrote:

Pacman_Ownage wrote:

How is it ludicrous?  We have an English forum because people can't be bothered to go through threads they can't understand to get to something they can take part in - Home is no different.  Technology is here to help us, not hinder.

Your bigoted acusation is the usual bull people spout when they can't win an argument.

When you use a forum, you don't have the luxury of a 3D enviroment where you can wander around and easily jump to your friends. A forum doesn't have good visual effects to keep you interested while you wander and would scare people off if you found a page of Russian, German, Dutch and French in the morning.

Also, the forum would be impossible to moderate if all languages were thrown in together. You may argue that the home reporting system works but in reality it was developed by sony and customised to suit their needs. Lithium however is pre-made and must be worked with.

0 Kudos

/16

ProjectVRD

94%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ProjectVRD
Accepted Solution

strangeplaice wrote:

Tod_UK wrote:

Pacman_Ownage wrote:

When you use a forum, you don't have the luxury of a 3D enviroment where you can wander around and easily jump to your friends. A forum doesn't have good visual effects to keep you interested while you wander and would scare people off if you found a page of Russian, German, Dutch and French in the morning.

Also, the forum would be impossible to moderate if all languages were thrown in together. You may argue that the home reporting system works but in reality it was developed by sony and customised to suit their needs. Lithium however is pre-made and must be worked with.

But Home should be allowed to have multiple languages that will scare people off?

Also it appears moderating within Home is a challenge, I have reported a few people and nothing gets done. Probably because they can't understand English.

And then nobody will comment on what I wrote. Sony knows our language, it is there for anybody to see on our PSN profiles and is viewable on the PS3 itself. Yet Sony insists on sticking me in a room where everybody else will ignore me because I do not speak their language.

Even thought the OP was not right in comparing Home to Forums, he is entirely right where he says people should only be put in rooms according to the language preferences. My language field on PSN is English, so why do I keep being put in social rooms full of French, Germans and Saudi Arabians when I stand nearly zero chance of being able to communicate with them? There is nothing social about it.

0 Kudos

I am going to be rude and ask you follow me 

@TweetScientific

If I had my own way then you wouldn't have a choice

But you will find out about some ridiculously awesome stuff,

Like QUANTUM TELEVISIONS!!!!

Beta Tester
/16

Tod_UK

• Beta Tester
84%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Tod_UK
Accepted Solution

My mentioning the forums was really an example of how you can't expect people to take part in something they don't understand.

Of course you can't have forums in various languages, but equally you can't have home in multiple languages when it was set up to link people together to play games online.

Social networks will only work if they help people to interact and make it easy for them to do so. Mixing languages does nothing but pad the rooms out, which may look good when you enter a room, but does nothing to get people networking and communicating - the whole reason for the service is it not??

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Award Winner
/16

Cimbrer

• Award Winner
95%
09 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Cimbrer
Accepted Solution

Tod_UK wrote:

My mentioning the forums was really an example of how you can't expect people to take part in something they don't understand.

Of course you can't have forums in various languages, but equally you can't have home in multiple languages when it was set up to link people together to play games online.

Social networks will only work if they help people to interact and make it easy for them to do so. Mixing languages does nothing but pad the rooms out, which may look good when you enter a room, but does nothing to get people networking and communicating - the whole reason for the service is it not??

You should never have mentioned the forum in this thread, in my opinion. Because of the difference between the forum and Home.

But, with that said, the subject you're raising makes for an interesting discussion.

What I'd like to know is, where would you place me in Home, when I relocate to Home Square from the Navigator?

My main language is Danish, I have no problem communicating in English, and I have a good understanding of German.

You can't really avoid mixing languages in a service like Home.

As a side-note, when I set up my account, I couldn't even select my own language from the list, when I chose my main language(s) on the Account. (They did update it later on, and you can change it again via Account Management)

0 Kudos

/16

EdwCarnby

98%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
EdwCarnby
Accepted Solution

Okay, let's get one thing straight - It was only an example but the forum covers everything PlayStation (this isn't the only board, ya know :D) and has several language moderators/community team checking it. Home only covers Home, though it benefits from the same language moderation. Furthermore a forum has everything archived so everything to some degree requires moderation. Home only has what is reported added to the moderation queue.

Real world

In the real world, English can be a main language but not necessarily the one you speak the most. In the real world, we do not deport people if we see them speaking something that isn't English (maybe 200 years ago but not now!). In the real world, such as my city, I can walk into my city centre and not be able to have a convo with a good portion of the passers by on a market day because they are speaking another language.

Virtual world

In a virtual world and the Internet, the intention is that you are all united. In a virtual world, you are encouraged to talk to people you've never met before. In a virtual world, you are meant to attain to a peak of society you cannot reach in a real world. While the latter of these 3 points definitely doesn't happen (humans aren't evolved enough) choosing to divide people on something as simple as what language they speak is backwards!

Let's say you decided to go to Japanese Home - Would you like it if they were going "Hey that guy is spe-a-kin En-ga-lish! Get him! Kick from server!". That is essentially what you are saying about all the other users of Home that don't speak your language. I would like to hear peoples' views from the other language boards on this (even the Aussies, you speak a different language, right? :D jk ). I have no problem trying to speak to foreigners (I'm multilingual).

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

sbi-7

83%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
sbi-7
Accepted Solution

The best thing about EU home is all the different countries in it. Considering most of my friends are from non English speaking countries I have no trouble as they speak fairly if not better English than me. I find the OP xenophobic attitude to be idiotic.

But then being an Aussie means I do make up words as I go along :smileytongue:

0 Kudos

/16

deflepxr6

92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
deflepxr6
Accepted Solution

Us Aussies talk Australian... (Crikey).... See.!! :smileyhappy:

This isn't anything new this has been suggested a few times now

It's not going to change anytime soon (if at all) so best to get use to it...

Besides i like the fact we can mingle with other countries

Thanks to the French we now have our own version of the French kiss The only difference being is.[DELETED] .... :smileyhappy:

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Beta Tester
/16

Tod_UK

• Beta Tester
84%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Tod_UK
Accepted Solution

Oh here we go, I am xenophobic now, I will add that to becoming a biggot from earlier and laugh it off in much the same way!

I am glad a comparison to the real world was made, but the conclusions are ridiculous, my wanting home to make it easier for me to chat to people I can actually converse with and comparing it to "sending people home" is a completely farcical and over dramatic response - and holds no similarity at all in what I am suggesting - so please don't make this a race issue and taking the moral high ground over this please.

As for the description of the virtual world - great, sounds fantastic I wish we could all reach the "peak of society" as you have, but unfortunately most of us only speak one language - so we still can't communicate no matter who you throw us together with, and need technology to bring us together with those we can communicate with. 

Putting people with those that speak the same language is not "choosing to divide people" it is "helping them get together".  Putting a guy who only speaks German in the same room as a load of people who only speak French does nothing for the guy in terms of social networking does it?

Now I suggested earlier about having a drop down of preferred language, people who can talk in different languages can hop around wherever they want, just change the drop down, how about a multilingual area too for all you super beings?

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

Cimbrer

• Award Winner
95%
09 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Cimbrer
Accepted Solution

Tod_UK wrote:

1 - So how come the forums are divided then? Surely they should all be combined then?

2 - It may not be hard to find people speaking your language, but technology is supposed to make it easier for you - which may well account for a reason for people not to bother with home at all. How hard is a language drop down, even if it just applies to the home square?

1 - What kind of logic are you using? How can you compare the forum to Home.

Have you given any thought to what kind of mess we'd have, if the forums weren't divided into sub-forums?

2 - By saying that, you basically assume that it's so easy to divide it. What about the people that do speak/write in more than one language, where would you allocate them?

It may not be perfect, but it's better to simply accept that Home is a diverse environment. You may come across a load of people that you can't talk to, but try a different instance/server and problem solved.

PS. You forgot to mention Italian in your list of languages.

0 Kudos

/16

ProjectVRD

94%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ProjectVRD
Accepted Solution
I agree with OP.

There is field when you sign up to PSN that asks what your main language is, from that Sony can put you in a room full of English speaking people. There is no reason why people should forced into a room full of people you cannot understand, that totally defeats the idea of a social network.
0 Kudos

I am going to be rude and ask you follow me 

@TweetScientific

If I had my own way then you wouldn't have a choice

But you will find out about some ridiculously awesome stuff,

Like QUANTUM TELEVISIONS!!!!

/16

pr1mo_78

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
pr1mo_78
Accepted Solution
Well how do you think i feel?... when i got my PS3 and created my account i couldnt think of a name to use as my ID, So i looked in the food cupboard and saw a pack of Pasta called 'pr1mo' aparently its italian (pasta? makes sence)... Now every time i walk around home i get Italians coming to me greeting me and talking to me in italian. I dont know WHAT they are saying but nod and agree and then walk away. But it would be so much nicer if i went into home squar or wherever and i could understand everybody coz people who's 1st language is english generaly only speak english. which is ironic when you think england is known as imigration nation.
0 Kudos

/16

deflepxr6

92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
deflepxr6
Accepted Solution

It's just not going to happen.

What would you rather see PSHome as a region free service?

Where it didn't matter what part of the world you live in.

Everyone would be united..

Or

A PSHome that is divided depending on the country you live in/ language you speak?

where it would (in my opinion) restrict the kind of enjoyment that PSHome already has

Putting such a thing into place would be taking a big step back in getting Home "region free"

Someone on the Aus/NZ home forum suggested putting an translator into the core client so you can talk with others that may-not speak the same as you  Witch the op has kind of already mentioned

I think THAT!. would be as close as it would get.

0 Kudos

/16

EdwCarnby

98%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
EdwCarnby
Accepted Solution

Universal translators - worked in Star Trek :)

Gets my vote.

0 Kudos

yBsoMeaN

57%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
yBsoMeaN
Accepted Solution

How much of drag is is it to find English speakers? Let's think about that. How tough can that be, hmm?

Try this tried-and-true method: using your eyes, look towards the chat boxes whilst in Home and when you see people speaking in English -- you've found your people! See, you don't have to get dragged down after all! Je vous en prie. De nada.

A big reason why I like the EU region is due to our ability to interact with those from different cultures, learning about those people and their languages.

0 Kudos

/16

Tahvo

88%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Tahvo
Accepted Solution
So you think they should make more servers that Finns can hang whit couple of gamers ?? No point in this sinceI rather speak English then just hang whit Finnish friends -.-
0 Kudos

/16

Tahvo

88%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Tahvo
Accepted Solution
Spannish gamers are prety much the problem since they cant speak English and some other countries in Europe
0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel