10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

PS Home and E3

21 Replies 439 Views Created 06-06-2012

Hi guys :)

So as per usual we got our virtual space showcases, some good old rewards, and the opportunity to watch E3 in virtual person with other virtual persons. This year, Homies got an honourable mention by Jack Tretton on the presentation floor. But my questions to you are; Does that matter? And is it enough?

By that I mean does Home getting more media coverage both in the gaming and public eye make much of an impact to your Home experience? Do you feel it validates your use of Home? Do you hope it attracts new faces? And what would you do differently when mentioning Home in campaigns or briefly to the press?

0 Kudos
LABELS:
/16

Sarikins

92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Sarikins
Accepted Solution
New faces? But there are only so many presets xD

In all honesty no it doesn't. It's not wildly known. And if it was imagine the amount of noobs? Sonys servers going down cause it can't be handled and all the tranny comments.

It's better off the way it is.
0 Kudos

Re: PS Home and E3

/16

KrazyFace

98%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
KrazyFace
Accepted Solution

Good quetions Ed. Firstly I wanna say I've never felt the need to "validate" Home to anyone, it's a porograme like anything else. FB was snorted at to begin with, and only used by "PC nerds and students" in the beggining, just as Home has a name for being the place of peados, weirdos and any other type of social outcast you can think of, but that's just "true gamers" who can't see the point of it that make comments like that. No, I'm perfectly comfortable with my virtual other life and the people who surround me in it.

As for its presence at E3 this year, I'm impressed. It shows that Sony are still serious about making Home an integral part of Playstation. Mercia and the other MMORPG type things coming to Home are looking really great so far, and the ideas shown so far still leave lots of room for more improvement and innovation. I'd like to think that gamers who'd normaly scoff at Home would take note of some of the things heading Home's way, but sadly I doubt it. I know the general reaction will be a kind of "ppffftt" noise, followed by a confusion as to why they'd pay for clothes for an avatar (no complaints about paying for the online component of every game the MS crowd buy ironicly) before dismissing it as nothing more than a gimmic that'll never last. But I'm getting away from myself...

If I were to address the press about Home, what would I say? I'd say it's an ever-growng social network that while free, makes a lot of money! I'd say it's the future baseline of how we'll probably meet eachother in generations to come. I'd tell them with a straight face that I can get ripped out my tree, dance my face off and have a great laugh with friends all without leaving my house, falling in rose bushes or being picked up by bored policemen with nothing better to do.

0 Kudos

/16

Fritches

96%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Fritches
Accepted Solution

I think it depends on the situation. 

I mean it was nice to see Jack mention Home because it shows that Home isn't a failed thing anymore in their eyes. It's nice to see that Home's been given a thought this year. I was taken back when I saw Christina, Jack and Buser give Home abit of lime light and I do hope this stay's.  The fact that Home feels more part of this big event is brilliant.

0 Kudos

Life is like a rollercoaster ... you've just got to choose the right one :)
/16

Snozzlenut

94%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Snozzlenut
Accepted Solution

Home got a mention? I haven't had a chance to watch any E3 stuff as I've been away. Really need to sort that out today. So behind on all the stuffs.

I don't think much can impact my Home experience. I'm still just a lurker...who spends money on it. 

Unless they were pimpin' out any new interesting features for gamers or those who own a PS3 for movies/tv, then I doubt it'll attract many new faces. It'll still be just the social people/trolls/scary lonely hearts men. It's not really got any great selling points at the moment, afterall, it's pretty hard to sell something based on it's social side. Sure, things like Facebook do well, but that's because of those awful 'click for FUN TIMES' games that are loved by kids and middle aged women and Twitter because it lets you legally stalk famous people. Trying to sell the chance to talk to average joe while he sits in his pants, moaning about SCEE not being as good as SCEA isn't really thrilling.

If they could use that time to blag themselves some licences to get more game/movie integration into Home then that would be great. It's such a great advertising space and I really wish more companies would use it. Heck, the only reason I bought Modnation racers back when it came out was because of Home advertising. But since then? Nothing has come along that I hadn't already bought which really isn't much (although if I hadn't already preordered it the Uncharted 3 space was a good bit of advertising. It was a great space). 

Also, I know it'll never happen because of said licences but I really wish we could get more movie/tv stuff in the cinema. That would be so freaking sweet.

Home needs to feel like less of a chat room before I would want to mention it as anything close to the social network I think it's trying to be. It's certainly improving; there are so many more spaces and companies involved in it now then there was when I first joined but it's still a bit too cringy to admit to using as anything other than a small distraction from work. 

I'll need to go check out what was said at E3. I hope there are some good new things coming, that are actually good. In print the Lockwood game sounded fun, but then I realised its just running round into eggs for 15 minutes at a time. so bad. But good to hear they haven't given up on it. I have wasted money on it after all. Gotta find a reason to use the thing.

0 Kudos

/16

EdwCarnby

98%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
EdwCarnby
Accepted Solution
Yeah, quick mention by Jack Tretton during the conference. And the (a)Buser himself was there in the flesh post conference with the lovely Christina Lee :Love: ...erm. Yeah.

Anyways, they talked about Home. Like Krazy I don't need Home to be mentioned to prove anything. It's nice the up-tops acknowledge it exists and I feel it is something that markets itself because it's part of the XMB and PS3 experience. As far as your comment goes on making it less of a chat room, I do like the fact they are pushing to make the gaming experiences much better for the less social people, and improving the virtual world elements for those that are more sociable.
0 Kudos

Snozzlenut

94%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Snozzlenut
Accepted Solution

EdwCarnby wrote:
Yeah, quick mention by Jack Tretton during the conference. And the (a)Buser himself was there in the flesh post conference with the lovely Christina Lee :Love: ...erm. Yeah.

Anyways, they talked about Home. Like Krazy I don't need Home to be mentioned to prove anything. It's nice the up-tops acknowledge it exists and I feel it is something that markets itself because it's part of the XMB and PS3 experience. As far as your comment goes on making it less of a chat room, I do like the fact they are pushing to make the gaming experiences much better for the less social people, and improving the virtual world elements for those that are more sociable.

I don't dislike the social side, I'm not one of these angry gamers who hates on those who want to talk to each other on PS3. I'm just socially awkward and I find the minigames great for both single player and for kicking up a conversation if you feel like it (because I so hate small talk and would rather jump into a conversation about something that isn't my boring life). So it's good that they have plans to keep focusing on both to keep either side happy.

I have an incredibly odd love/hate relationship with Home. 

0 Kudos

MVP
/16

RenegadeXtreme

• MVP
97%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RenegadeXtreme
Accepted Solution

They didn't only just mention Home at the Sony Press Conference. There is actually live demo's on the E3 floor of upcoming Home games like Mercia, No Man's Land, and Home Tycoon. Among other things. So a much better offering than previous years combined.

0 Kudos

/16

Erika_West

92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Erika_West
Accepted Solution

EdwCarnby wrote:

... does Home getting more media coverage both in the gaming and public eye make much of an impact to your Home experience?

No.

Do you feel it validates your use of Home?

No.

Do you hope it attracts new faces? 

Depends who's behind the faces.

0 Kudos

/16

Sarikins

92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Sarikins
Accepted Solution
KrazyFace

Facebook was only used by students because it was originally only available for those in Havard, Stanford and likewise universities in America. It was wildly popular with ALL students. Not just nerds. In fact it never once aw shunned slated or abused.

Watch The Social Network. It's all true to th point. Apart from J Timberlake owning Napster. He's just a *****.
0 Kudos

/16

KrazyFace

98%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
KrazyFace
Accepted Solution
Sari, I do believe I remember reading and talking about the nerds that use FB. When it was released as an application for everyone on the net there were less technically minded people who scoffed at the very notion of it, and how sad and socially inept you'd have to be to even consider using it. Same thing happened with sexy text messages on mobiles. It happens all the time with new ways of communication, those that use these new programmes with even a modicum of imagination seem to be placed in the category of "socially awkward computer nerd". In FBs case, this blew over pretty quickly, but Home seems to be struggling, and I can only imagine that's because of its fluidity and nature, and the way we can have presence within the programme.
0 Kudos

/16

xElfenLied_US

85%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
xElfenLied_US
Accepted Solution
It's a bit like BlackBerry's. They were a business phone at first, but now every Tom, Richard and Harry has one, and it's mostly bought by teenagers.
BlackBerry are losing out on a fair bit of money though, because a lot of BlackBerry's are bought second-hand, therefore not getting that money themselves.
I think they're going back to their roots and trying to aim for businesses again, or so I heard.

If anything, iPhone and Android are more the business phone now, but again, the everyday Joe has those phones now too.
0 Kudos

Не верь, не бойся, не проси

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
/16

EdwCarnby

98%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
EdwCarnby
Accepted Solution
I think no level of marketing (E3 or otherwise) will convince people Home is cool or normal to use. It attracts horny teens, socially inept people, chavs, and outcasts of society. Avatar Kinect, SecondLife, INVU and most other ones I know of suffer the same problem.
0 Kudos

xElfenLied_US

85%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
xElfenLied_US
Accepted Solution
Before PS Home became public, I only found out about it via a related PlayStation video on YouTube years ago.

I haven't seen it advertised anywhere really.
0 Kudos

/16

EdwCarnby

98%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
EdwCarnby
Accepted Solution
It's had a full length commercial on UK television, and some "sponsored by PlayStation Home" mentions on Sky show intervals. I think there were also posters for PS Home up as well as Xi ads which is sort of viral Home marketing.
0 Kudos

xElfenLied_US

85%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
xElfenLied_US
Accepted Solution
I never saw the TV ad o_o
0 Kudos

/16

Furys-embrace

94%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Furys-embrace
Accepted Solution

Yeah I saw a PS home advert on the TV (kind of) Sony sponsor or used to sponsor Films on Channel 5 I think (might of been itv). Anyway just after the adverts started a little thing came up showing home footage and said "your family movie sponsored by Playstation home" I nearly fell off my chair when I saw this.....

0 Kudos

/16

Fritches

96%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Fritches
Accepted Solution

EdwCarnby wrote:
It's had a full length commercial on UK television, and some "sponsored by PlayStation Home" mentions on Sky show intervals. I think there were also posters for PS Home up as well as Xi ads which is sort of viral Home marketing.

I remember them it took me by surprise that Sony actually advertised Home outside of Home because until I saw that ad every add I saw that involved Home was actaully streamed into Home it's self.

0 Kudos

/16

KrazyFace

98%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
KrazyFace
Accepted Solution
I've never seen an ad for Home on TV, or other media for that matter. Kinda glad of it too TBH. I like being in the minority and I'm quite happy for Home to stay under the radar. I mean, sure it'd be nice if more normal people used Home but it's the crazies that keep it fun! How boring would it be if EVERYONE you bumped into was a "normal" person? Half the beauty of Home (to me) is bumping into that normal person once every blue moon and adding them onto my list.

Its been a real struggle finding where the boundaries in this kind of environment lay for Sony, in fact for all these social networks. I think though Ed the cause of all these people who *seem* like social outcasts, is really because of the freedom applications like Home afford the end user. It's just a typical reaction to being able to say, act or do as you please without consequence and some people can't handle it. Put it like this; imagine you had the power to stop time. Now, how long would it take for you to get bored of pulling peoples trousers down in public then un-freezing time and watching the chaos? Maybe a few months, or maybe even never! It's the same thing really, it just depends on the individuals ability to become accustomed to the environment.

Ok, I'm erm, taking this thread for another ride it seems so I'd best just stop now. You'll all be in Home yapping to each other by now anyways so... KTHANKSBAI!!!
0 Kudos

/16

Fritches

96%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Fritches
Accepted Solution

KrazyFace wrote:
I've never seen an ad for Home on TV, or other media for that matter. Kinda glad of it too TBH. I like being in the minority and I'm quite happy for Home to stay under the radar. I mean, sure it'd be nice if more normal people used Home but it's the crazies that keep it fun! How boring would it be if EVERYONE you bumped into was a "normal" person? Half the beauty of Home (to me) is bumping into that normal person once every blue moon and adding them onto my list.

Its been a real struggle finding where the boundaries in this kind of environment lay for Sony, in fact for all these social networks. I think though Ed the cause of all these people who *seem* like social outcasts, is really because of the freedom applications like Home afford the end user. It's just a typical reaction to being able to say, act or do as you please without consequence and some people can't handle it. Put it like this; imagine you had the power to stop time. Now, how long would it take for you to get bored of pulling peoples trousers down in public then un-freezing time and watching the chaos? Maybe a few months, or maybe even never! It's the same thing really, it just depends on the individuals ability to become accustomed to the environment.

Ok, I'm erm, taking this thread for another ride it seems so I'd best just stop now. You'll all be in Home yapping to each other by now anyways so... KTHANKSBAI!!!

I do agree with that.

Although I loved Home getting a mention via E3 I wouldn't want it to be thrown in your face from every media outlet going. 

I do like the fact that Sony are seeing Home as something now instead of sweapping it under the rug at gamer events. I do like the fact that Home is now apart of these gaming events but that's where I want the advertising to stop. 

The way I see it is if more advertising is pushed on Home then the more hardcore gamers are going to wake up visit it then ask for it to be more gamer focused. Just like what's happened when they gave us New Home Experience. 

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

GoodBytes

• Award Winner
94%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
GoodBytes
Accepted Solution

I found it interesting what Jack Buser had to say about Home in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFe9XL4hkc0

It Sounds like Home is a testing ground for them to try new things before taking what worked and putting it into other titles. 

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel