11 Feb 2009
Beta Tester
Playstation Staff

Red Bull Air Race: Quick-Start Guide

[ Edited ]
36 Replies 4,493 Views edited 19-02-2009

Hey Folks -

Welcome to our overview of the Red Bull Air Race game in PlayStation®Home.

How to Get There

You'll find the Red Bull Air Race on the World Map, which you can access from within Home by pressing [Start] on your controller then selecting “Locations” and “World Map”.

Once loaded into the space you’ll see the planes to your right. To play the game you simply face the planes and press [X] on your controller when you see "Red Bull Air Race" appear on your screen.

Handy hint: When the space is busy you may find that other players’ names are more likely to pop up than the Air Race. The solution to this is to press [X] when highlighting another user’s name and then press left or right on the D-Pad until Red Bull Air Race appears. The development team are working on a better solution but this tip will get you up and flying quickly.

Controls

Use the Left Analogue Stick as the joystick to control flight - left, right, up and down.
The Right Analogue Stick controls speed: pull it back to go slower and push forward to go faster.
Some gates require you to go through on a Knife Edge, either left or right, and the controls for these are L1 and R1 respectively.
Once you have the hang of the controls it’s relatively simple to fly the course but difficult to master every corner!

Leaderboards

You'll find a large billboard by the planes, which alternatively shows the two leader boards:

• "Current Best Scores" shows the fastest times in the last 24 hours
  • "Friends' Best Scores" shows the fastest times of all your PSN Friends and this is not limited to 24 hours. This, obviously, is perfect for bragging rights with your Friends. It’s not your fault they took the scenic route, right?
Penalties

As you fly around you'll notice your score for each gate is marked in the top left of the screen in small circles. A green circle indicates a clean gate but there are 3 levels of penalties that add time to your overall attempt:
  • 3 seconds is given for an incorrect Knife Edge
  • 3 seconds is given for flying too high over a gate
  • 10 Seconds is given for hitting a marker balloon at a gate
  • 15 seconds is given for hitting a marker balloon and an incorrect Knife Edge at the same time
  • 15 seconds is given for flying around the wrong side of a marker balloon
Your goal is obviously a completely clear round!

Some tips for better times
  • The green circles are there to indicate which side of the gates you should fly around. You do not need to fly through the circles themselves. In fact, to achieve the best times you will have to learn how to get as close as you can to the gates to cut the corner as much as possible.
  • Fly at maximum speed all the time. Push the Right Analogue Stick on your controller forward as soon as you start and leave it there.
  • Try not to climb. Every vertical foot you gain is a little extra distance to travel overall.
  • Learn the route! It's much easier when you know what's coming after the current gate.
  • The best virtual pilots out there are flying the course in under 50 seconds and the current record holder managed it in 47.88 seconds. Well done Peppignolo! New best time set by milnerant - 47.78 47.75!

Message Edited by MusterBuster on 11-02-2009 11:07 AM
Message Edited by TedTheDog on 12-02-2009 03:00 PM
Message Edited by TedTheDog on 19-02-2009 11:40 AM
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 37 (4,493 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: Red Bull Air Race: Quick-Start Guide

Thanks for tha MB, a very useful guide indeed:smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 37 (4,481 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]
Thanks Muster, would be great to see this in-game also.  fantastic job.  Not sure whether to 'out' my red bull video which is set to private on youtube.  Then its giving away my secrets :smileywink:
Message Edited by milnerant on 11-02-2009 11:23 AM

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 37 (4,477 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

Thanks to Ted_The_Dog - he wrote it :smileyhappy:

MB

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 37 (4,468 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

MusterBuster wrote:

MB

:smileysurprised: You stole it :Lol:

They should port Wii Sports to PS3!!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 37 (4,461 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

MusterBuster wrote:

MB

"It’s not your fault they took the scenic route, right?"  

I did notice that line

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 37 (4,460 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 9

Playstation Staff

great, im always waiting about looking for a spot then it gets taken :smileysad:. if the little game window comes up, but says the game isnt available, will it auto update if we keep the window open or do we have to come in and out of it hoping to get a game?
TwitterMIDRIGHT
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 37 (4,446 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Here we go again...  this is my revised Red Bull run since the latest Red Bull leaderboards inclusion...  Slight amendments to the run, but watch carefully!  (What am i doing? arrrr)  And its obviously 48.08.  I will try and get a 47 second vid, when Im 'in the zone', but for now it will do to show my runs to get in the 47's.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFsITTfLkb8
Message Edited by milnerant on 11-02-2009 11:55 AM

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 37 (4,426 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Fantastic guide Muster for everyone interested in the Red Bull Air Race.

I have just one question you could possibly take away with you. What is happening with the decking? It just seems a little empty. Is something going to go here, or is it for show? How about a small activity to do?

Cheers Muster.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 37 (4,405 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

The lag annoys me too much to play this =\
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 37 (4,393 Views)