Hey Folks -
Welcome to our overview of the Red Bull Air Race game in PlayStation®Home.
How to Get There
You'll find the Red Bull Air Race on the World Map, which you can access from within Home by pressing [Start] on your controller then selecting “Locations” and “World Map”.
Once loaded into the space you’ll see the planes to your right. To play the game you simply face the planes and press [X] on your controller when you see "Red Bull Air Race" appear on your screen.
Handy hint: When the space is busy you may find that other players’ names are more likely to pop up than the Air Race. The solution to this is to press [X] when highlighting another user’s name and then press left or right on the D-Pad until Red Bull Air Race appears. The development team are working on a better solution but this tip will get you up and flying quickly.
Use the Left Analogue Stick as the joystick to control flight - left, right, up and down.
The Right Analogue Stick controls speed: pull it back to go slower and push forward to go faster.
Some gates require you to go through on a Knife Edge, either left or right, and the controls for these are L1 and R1 respectively.
Once you have the hang of the controls it’s relatively simple to fly the course but difficult to master every corner!
You'll find a large billboard by the planes, which alternatively shows the two leader boards:
- "Current Best Scores" shows the fastest times in the last 24 hours
- "Friends' Best Scores" shows the fastest times of all your PSN Friends and this is not limited to 24 hours. This, obviously, is perfect for bragging rights with your Friends. It’s not your fault they took the scenic route, right?
As you fly around you'll notice your score for each gate is marked in the top left of the screen in small circles. A green circle indicates a clean gate but there are 3 levels of penalties that add time to your overall attempt:
- 3 seconds is given for an incorrect Knife Edge
- 3 seconds is given for flying too high over a gate
- 10 Seconds is given for hitting a marker balloon at a gate
- 15 seconds is given for hitting a marker balloon and an incorrect Knife Edge at the same time
- 15 seconds is given for flying around the wrong side of a marker balloon
Some tips for better times
- The green circles are there to indicate which side of the gates you should fly around. You do not need to fly through the circles themselves. In fact, to achieve the best times you will have to learn how to get as close as you can to the gates to cut the corner as much as possible.
- Fly at maximum speed all the time. Push the Right Analogue Stick on your controller forward as soon as you start and leave it there.
- Try not to climb. Every vertical foot you gain is a little extra distance to travel overall.
- Learn the route! It's much easier when you know what's coming after the current gate.
- The best virtual pilots out there are flying the course in under 50 seconds and the current record holder managed it in
47.88 seconds. Well done Peppignolo!New best time set by milnerant - 47.7847.75!
Here we go again... this is my revised Red Bull run since the latest Red Bull leaderboards inclusion... Slight amendments to the run, but watch carefully! (What am i doing? arrrr) And its obviously 48.08. I will try and get a 47 second vid, when Im 'in the zone', but for now it will do to show my runs to get in the 47's.........
Fantastic guide Muster for everyone interested in the Red Bull Air Race.
I have just one question you could possibly take away with you. What is happening with the decking? It just seems a little empty. Is something going to go here, or is it for show? How about a small activity to do?