Level 1

Playstation Staff

Re: Response to "Open Letter to SCEE"

Hi All

Seems were getting some new t-shirts when the good ole USA is getting much more..........

.........Quote from PS3 Joystick

More new content is bound for Home in America on April 9, including a Godfather II room from EA and an update to the Resident Evil 5 space. The Godfather II room will feature a sneak peek at the poker tables from the upcoming EA Sports Home space. It will be used to host a Celebrity Poker tournament which you can attend on the night of Thursday April 9. Just turn up at around 8pm EST dressed as your favorite celebrity and join in.

The newly updated Resident Evil 5 space will also play host to an event on Thursday April 16, where players will be able to play with the game's developers and the Home community team in co-op mode. The event will take place between 6pm and 10pm EST and developers will jump in with anyone who has set up a game-launching session and they will stick around for an entire chapter, or 20 minutes. Whichever comes first.

The updated Resident Evil 5 space will feature a new minigame and a souvenir shop where you can buy Chris and Sheva costumes. Home continues to upgrade and expand at a decent pace now so if you haven't checked it out in a while, now might be a good time.

NOT a good time to be SCEE......

Just a thought

Tazman

Any chance of explaining why the EU is so far behind?

Would like an answer after spending £1000's on your brand.

Thank you

Tazman

Message 91 of 187 (2,326 Views)
Level 3

Playstation Staff

For those of you who where disappointed in the recent update and wished Sony would have taken note of everyone's efforts to let them know you wanted X Game Chat, there is a currently an idea about getting Skype on the PS3 if you feel this is a good idea and think its possible then join this thread and add as much positive information to it as you possibly can.

I watched the official video on how to use the current 2.70 update and at the end the guy said that Sony welcome our feedback so please lets see if we can get them to think about Skype for the PS3.

Let me just say that Skype is currently on the PSP and that alone is a good sign...

Skype for PS3

If we can keep all our ideas in one place then it makes it easier to get the message across...

0 Kudos
Message 92 of 187 (2,313 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

wow, a proper reply for once.
http://lbp.me/v/srfpg
0 Kudos
Message 93 of 187 (2,283 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

TAZMAN50748 wrote:

Hi All

Seems were getting some new t-shirts when the good ole USA is getting much more..........

.........Quote from PS3 Joystick

More new content is bound for Home in America on April 9, including a Godfather II room from EA and an update to the Resident Evil 5 space. The Godfather II room will feature a sneak peek at the poker tables from the upcoming EA Sports Home space. It will be used to host a Celebrity Poker tournament which you can attend on the night of Thursday April 9. Just turn up at around 8pm EST dressed as your favorite celebrity and join in.

The newly updated Resident Evil 5 space will also play host to an event on Thursday April 16, where players will be able to play with the game's developers and the Home community team in co-op mode. The event will take place between 6pm and 10pm EST and developers will jump in with anyone who has set up a game-launching session and they will stick around for an entire chapter, or 20 minutes. Whichever comes first.

The updated Resident Evil 5 space will feature a new minigame and a souvenir shop where you can buy Chris and Sheva costumes. Home continues to upgrade and expand at a decent pace now so if you haven't checked it out in a while, now might be a good time.

NOT a good time to be SCEE......

Just a thought

Tazman

Any chance of explaining why the EU is so far behind?

Would like an answer after spending £1000's on your brand.

Thank you

Tazman

yeah, not a good start to the new and improved eu home.

----------------------------------------------------------
girl gamer
HazelAM
"communication without borders"

Hubert H. Humphrey
“Freedom is hammered out on the anvil of discussion, dissent, and debate.

”tear down the home wall"
Message 94 of 187 (2,263 Views)
Level 3

Playstation Staff

so getting scea to do your work for you is what you didn't tell us.

still, at least that means the process will be speeded up a thousandfold.

do you even have a localisation department there?

i honestly thought the benefit of the doubt would last longer than this.

you're so committed that you have to rely on scea to do your jobs? 

girl gamer
HazelAM

Hubert H. Humphrey

0 Kudos
Message 95 of 187 (2,219 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Dan and I had a chat last night and we wanted to respond to some comments. Dans on holiday today so I'll run through them myself.

[EssexJames]
I look forward to seeing the impact of the revised processes and the new launches.  It might help to contain expectations if you could provide indicative timescales for when you think we might see some of the changes to which you alluded.  I'm not after specific dates, and I doubt you could provide them.  But can you let us know the timescales in which these changes are measured: weeks, months, quarters, years?

A Space takes 3 to 6 months (sometimes more) to design, license and contract, build, localise, test and publish. We have started dialogue with the other regions about localising Spaces they are currently working on with a simple ideal goal in mind. Simultaneous publication of localised Spaces globally.

Some Spaces will not be suitable for other regions. The IREM spaces in Japan are probably a good example of that. Also, sometimes it will be logical to publish content for a global brand in one region first and sometimes a brand owner may simply want to focus on a region.The Godfather II space in America today was too far down this process for us to get it shipped in SCEE at the same time as SCEA.

We are asking a lot of all regions and publishers to start globally localising all suitable content in advance from now and there will be a transition period with some working out fine and some going with a single region approach.

You can all probably see the connection between the regional approach to Home content and how the games industry has published games, especially in the past. It tends to ship in one region first, usually the home region of the dev team/publisher and then the others. Changing this has been something you've all been asking for for years now and its starting to happen more and more. Thats what we're aiming to do with Home too. It will not be immediate, it will take months, we'll have success and failures in that time.

Incidentally, "localising" does not just mean translation. Its also licensing and contractual arrangements in each region seperately,  country legal compliance, business policy compliance, language context testing and functional testing in each language.

[LonERecoN]
Thanks Dan for the reply, but, the proof is in the pudding. We will see if SCEE can really pull this off or not.

Agreed. Committing to do this is not the same as having done this. Talk is cheap, the only thing you can possibly be satisfied with in the end is change for the better. I think we've all agreed what "better" means. 

[FascistBullyBoy]
I remind you that we are PAYING customers of Sony and you have no right undermining that status.

Dan and I read this and looked at each other and nodded (we sit next to each other). I think the issue here is we look at it from a business perspective and you look at it from a straight forward "I'm a PlayStation customer, PlayStation is not free" perspective.

In our defence, from the business side we look at each title and service on PlayStation and we dont charge you to download and use Home . However, your point is well made and valid. Being a PlayStation customer is an ongoing relationship in which money changes hands on a regular basis and Home sits astride this and attempts to embody, empower and enrich the relationship and overall experience.

What's next

The next content publication window is the 23rd of April and I hope to find out whats coming then quite soon. However, I'm on Holiday next week so there will be a short interlude in communications. MB and the mods will be around and keeping an eye on things and noting down stuff I ought to be looking at when I return. Whilst theres some downtime, as usual, next thursday the 16th theres no content coming (for anyone before you start speculating!)

Q&A's

To continue this dialogue we'd like to try regular community led Q&A's. I'll bring you more information on the first one on the 22nd of April, the Q&A itself will take place on the 24th and the results will be published, by the community member concerned (its already setup but I'd rather wait to give more details until we're ready), on or about the 27th. We'll be taking the Q&A's to the other language communities in SCEE as well in an effort to start a useful dialogue with everyone.

Message 96 of 187 (2,255 Views)
Level 3

Playstation Staff

any chance in answering ted how come you guys always seem to get all the clothing and stuff that needs paying for into euro home no problems and nothing else .  p.s you also seem to take a lot of holidays lol no wonder people are mad at scee
Message 97 of 187 (2,214 Views)
Level 3

Playstation Staff

"incidentally, "localising" does not just mean translation. Its also licensing and contractual arrangements in each region seperately,  country legal compliance, business policy compliance, language context testing and functional testing in each language."

then why are scee not doing that?

girl gamer
HazelAM

Hubert H. Humphrey

0 Kudos
Message 98 of 187 (2,188 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

HazelAM wrote:

"incidentally, "localising" does not just mean translation. Its also licensing and contractual arrangements in each region seperately,  country legal compliance, business policy compliance, language context testing and functional testing in each language."

then why are scee not doing that?

The local licensing and contractual stuff is done locally, but the actually translation & integration is done by the developer as its part of the code. We then do the compliance and testing stages. That explain it?

0 Kudos
Message 99 of 187 (2,183 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

TedTheDog wrote:

Dan and I had a chat last night and we wanted to respond to some comments. Dans on holiday today so I'll run through them myself.

[EssexJames]
I look forward to seeing the impact of the revised processes and the new launches.  It might help to contain expectations if you could provide indicative timescales for when you think we might see some of the changes to which you alluded.  I'm not after specific dates, and I doubt you could provide them.  But can you let us know the timescales in which these changes are measured: weeks, months, quarters, years?

A Space takes 3 to 6 months (sometimes more) to design, license and contract, build, localise, test and publish. We have started dialogue with the other regions about localising Spaces they are currently working on with a simple ideal goal in mind. Simultaneous publication of localised Spaces globally.

Some Spaces will not be suitable for other regions. The IREM spaces in Japan are probably a good example of that. Also, sometimes it will be logical to publish content for a global brand in one region first and sometimes a brand owner may simply want to focus on a region.The Godfather II space in America today was too far down this process for us to get it shipped in SCEE at the same time as SCEA.

We are asking a lot of all regions and publishers to start globally localising all suitable content in advance from now and there will be a transition period with some working out fine and some going with a single region approach.

You can all probably see the connection between the regional approach to Home content and how the games industry has published games, especially in the past. It tends to ship in one region first, usually the home region of the dev team/publisher and then the others. Changing this has been something you've all been asking for for years now and its starting to happen more and more. Thats what we're aiming to do with Home too. It will not be immediate, it will take months, we'll have success and failures in that time.

Incidentally, "localising" does not just mean translation. Its also licensing and contractual arrangements in each region seperately,  country legal compliance, business policy compliance, language context testing and functional testing in each language.

[LonERecoN]
Thanks Dan for the reply, but, the proof is in the pudding. We will see if SCEE can really pull this off or not.

Agreed. Committing to do this is not the same as having done this. Talk is cheap, the only thing you can possibly be satisfied with in the end is change for the better. I think we've all agreed what "better" means. 

[FascistBullyBoy]
I remind you that we are PAYING customers of Sony and you have no right undermining that status.

Dan and I read this and looked at each other and nodded (we sit next to each other). I think the issue here is we look at it from a business perspective and you look at it from a straight forward "I'm a PlayStation customer, PlayStation is not free" perspective.

In our defence, from the business side we look at each title and service on PlayStation and we dont charge you to download and use Home . However, your point is well made and valid. Being a PlayStation customer is an ongoing relationship in which money changes hands on a regular basis and Home sits astride this and attempts to embody, empower and enrich the relationship and overall experience.

What's next

The next content publication window is the 23rd of April and I hope to find out whats coming then quite soon. However, I'm on Holiday next week so there will be a short interlude in communications. MB and the mods will be around and keeping an eye on things and noting down stuff I ought to be looking at when I return. Whilst theres some downtime, as usual, next thursday the 16th theres no content coming (for anyone before you start speculating!)

Q&A's

To continue this dialogue we'd like to try regular community led Q&A's. I'll bring you more information on the first one on the 22nd of April, the Q&A itself will take place on the 24th and the results will be published, by the community member concerned (its already setup but I'd rather wait to give more details until we're ready), on or about the 27th. We'll be taking the Q&A's to the other language communities in SCEE as well in an effort to start a useful dialogue with everyone.

Excellent dialogue,just excellent,Keep it up!!!

Follow me-http://twitter.com/CoolTails
0 Kudos
Message 100 of 187 (2,172 Views)
0 Kudos