Reply
Want to join in?

Sign in to continue

I have a PSN account

Welcome back!

I'm new!

it only takes a minute or two

  • 14

    New messages in the last hour

  • Get a response within minutes

  • 92%

    92% percent of messages responded to

11 Oct 2012
By MarkT120

MarkT120

  • Offline
93%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

To any Mod who can be bothered to answer...

103 Replies 766 Views Created 11-10-2012

I’d like a serious answer to a serious question.

 

None of the usual patronising/ condescending/ dismissive responses, please, because, as has been pointed out, it has all been said before.

 

My question is simply this;

Why are these Home Gang’s/ Fam’s tolerated? They make life on home a misery for everyone who comes into contact with them.

 

I could go on to whine about my experiences, but what’s the point, we’ve all had them.

 

Looking forward to, but not anticipating, a reasonable response.

0 Kudos
LABELS:

------ Yer only too old when yer dead... Till then, bring it on! ------

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
08
/16

KrazyFace

  • Offline
98%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
KrazyFace
Accepted Solution

LordRoss wrote:

KrazyFace wrote:
He's right. There needs to be more Mod-presence making examples of these greifers IN PUBLIC so they can see what will happen to them if they keep going. It's not a case of crying for mummy here, because Home is basically mob-rule ATM and shows a complete lack of care regarding the people who can't verbally defend themselves.

 

Will encourage the rest of the English Community Team to show more presence on Home then whenever possible.

 

In your opinion, which places are the most offending places and times? I have my suspicions but it be nice to hear from you guys what you think as well, as often you lot have first hand experience with troublemakers.


 

 I'll be totally honest with you here Ross, I don't go into public space much anymore. When there's stuff to get or activities to do then yeah, sure, you'll see me out and about but I'd say about 90% of my time in Home is now spent with friends in personal spaces far away from the dip-sticks and trolls. I just really can't be bothered hearing/seeing it anymore.

 

 Which is why EU Home gets VERY LITTLE OF MY MONEY; I can't shop from the Nav, and I don't wanna have to wade through bubbles of idiotic verbal fights to get to the stuff I want. So I just don't bother.

 

0 Kudos

Re: To any Mod who can be bothered to answer...

02
/16

sanitarium616uk

  • Offline
45%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
sanitarium616uk
Accepted Solution

in my expirence home square is really badly infested with trolls that i now refuse to go there now

0 Kudos

Re: To any Mod who can be bothered to answer...

04
/16

MarkT120

  • Offline
93%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MarkT120
Accepted Solution

individual trolls, pervs or other lowlifes i can deal with, but en mass, it's a different ball game altogether.

 

but i know what you mean. i know loads of ppl, mostly girls who refuse point blank to go to home square.

0 Kudos

Re: To any Mod who can be bothered to answer...


------ Yer only too old when yer dead... Till then, bring it on! ------

02
/16

sanitarium616uk

  • Offline
45%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
sanitarium616uk
Accepted Solution

i'm never in home square for long before trolls come up to me and whoever i'm with and in such a short time i have to leave as they always bring out insults towards family members. i remember one idiot insulted my mum and became defencive when i said she was dead by saying that i should have said something before hand i dont know about anyone else i dont go on home to tell strangers or trolls that familly members are dead

0 Kudos

Re: To any Mod who can be bothered to answer...

03
/16

Vehkst

  • Offline
99%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Vehkst
Accepted Solution
In my experience, East mall is a popular hang out for those who like to spam abuse at people but lately they seem to be in Home square alot. It is abit complicated as this has been happening for sometime and become a troll like culture with several "gangs" each colour coded and complete with "political drama" so I imagine they each have favourite spaces where they like to congregate.

They have a dominating attitude and act like they "own" the spaces they populate and really need to be taken down a peg or two. The decent users in PSHome try their hardest to not engage them in their "game" which just perpetuates their attitude as they call this refusal to "play" a win.

This culture has really taken on a life of its own and it is disappointing(to say the least) as they alienate users and are giving PSHome a bad name to many first time users.
0 Kudos

Re: To any Mod who can be bothered to answer...

05
/16

Lum26

  • Offline
86%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Lum26
Accepted Solution

 

Using the report function is the best way to get these abusive people dealt with, but sometimes a warning or temporary id ban really doesn't have the effect that is needed towards these people. Alot of these fam members use alternate id's just for use on home, i noticed this when checking out their profiles. Most of them have zero trophies which pointed me to this conclusion. Warnings are ok but if they're using different id's for trolling on home, they won't even be aware that they've received a warning because a high percentage of the time they would have created their accounts with bogus email addresses. These people really need to be hit with a full mac ban for their abusive behaviour. At the end of the day cyber bullying is a criminal offence.

0 Kudos

Re: To any Mod who can be bothered to answer...

www.alphazone4.co.uk
02
/16

X-CON-X

  • Offline
62%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
X-CON-X
Accepted Solution

I agree Lum26, but I was thinking more of a visual typed warning from a moderator (if there were enough moderators to be present)

 

Then it would serve to deter there behaviour,show there friends that there behaviour will not go unnoticed and show other users that something is being done about the situation.

 

A email warning,as you say, would be pointless for simple reasons, they could just ignore it,they are using an unused email acc,and it wouldn't serve as a visual warning that everyone else could see.

 

To b honest,most fam/gang members are working under peer pressure,they only get more verbal the more of there friends are present.

 

I have been on the wrong end of this gang/fam culture.

 

I was in home square on my own just waiting for a friend when 2 members of one of the "gangs" approached me and started on me for no reason at all.

Being a bit more unintimidated than most I stood my ground.

They constantly called me names,used the offensive mum jokes and generally typed nasty things at me,I  tried to ignore and it didn't work.

I ended up responding,after they started to get really personal about my family,they responded by calling all there "gang" to the place we were at.

 

The amount of abuse and awful things they typed were disgusting,but I stood my ground and gave as good as I got(without swearing or resorting to racist,mum,or sexual jokes).

End result. They gave up and left.

 

I'm not saying this is the answer for everyone,as the gangs do quickly grow and intimidate with a torrent of nasty things.

But in my case I refused to be pushed away from a place I spend a lot of time and money on,by some ignorant,immature kids.

 

They need to be stopped,or they will completely ruin the PSHOME reputation for newcomers.

0 Kudos

Re: To any Mod who can be bothered to answer...

02
/16

pinkflutterby

  • Offline
80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
pinkflutterby
Accepted Solution

Until recently - the past couple of weeks, Home Square was okay in the mornings. But now it is full of groups, that I guess are gangs. I don't use Home at night... dread to think what it's like then.

The only times that I used to avoid Home Square was the school holidays because of childish behaviour. (Although I know it's not just that age group at fault).

Now I mostly just go there to see what's updated.

0 Kudos

Re: To any Mod who can be bothered to answer...

05
/16

Lum26

  • Offline
86%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Lum26
Accepted Solution

   That's certainly a good idea X-CON-X. I think SCEA used to use visual verbal warnings in the early days of homes open beta. I could never understand why they stopped doing it. It probably wasn't implemented over here in the SCEE region because EU home has a much smaller team and smaller recourses.

 

  I agree xElfenLied. Thats what i meant by a mac ban. It would ban the address of their console from the psn and also stop them from being able to create another account to use online until the ban has expired. They need to be shown that their behaviour won't be tolerated and their actions do have consequences.

0 Kudos

Re: To any Mod who can be bothered to answer...

[ Edited ]
www.alphazone4.co.uk
10
/16

EdwCarnby

  • Offline
98%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
EdwCarnby
Accepted Solution
I think it would be wrong to ban the whole console from any online service because of their behaviour in 1 service unless it was very very extreme. Let's be frank people are still very ignorant about what virtual worlds are, what 3d chatrooms are, and how to use them as well as even basic things like Facebook in a responsible way. MAC ban them from Home and making new accounts, sure. But don't stop them playing all games on the Internet that is not a commercially sound idea and it doesn't teach them that certain behaviour isn't acceptable. If you got MAC banned across the board every time they won't go "oh i should have been better on Home or COD" they'll go "omgz mods gone overboard what did they ban me for? i dont know cos it all isnt working?"
0 Kudos

Re: To any Mod who can be bothered to answer...

___________________________
PS4 Preordered - yipeeee!
04
/16

MarkT120

  • Offline
93%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MarkT120
Accepted Solution

sure Edw, a total ban is extreme. but how many home users no longer use? banned themselves, in effect.  

 

my 14yr old nephew point blank refuses to go on home because of it. most of his school mates have gone over to xbox because of it.

 

also, it's a major assumption to think that these fam's/gangs are all "spotty teenagers" who do it 'cos they're bullied at school! not the case. the bowling alley incident for example, was a bunch of guy's in their mid 20's.

 

i am quite pleased i seem to have started something tho! obviously hit a nerve amongst the regular home users! i just hope it's enough to precipitate a change in attitudes all round!

 

my thanks to all those who have contributed.

0 Kudos

Re: To any Mod who can be bothered to answer...


------ Yer only too old when yer dead... Till then, bring it on! ------

10
/16

EdwCarnby

  • Offline
98%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
EdwCarnby
Accepted Solution

MarkT120 wrote:

sure Edw, a total ban is extreme. but how many home users no longer use? banned themselves, in effect.  

 

my 14yr old nephew point blank refuses to go on home because of it. most of his school mates have gone over to xbox because of it.

 

also, it's a major assumption to think that these fam's/gangs are all "spotty teenagers" who do it 'cos they're bullied at school! not the case. the bowling alley incident for example, was a bunch of guy's in their mid 20's.

 

i am quite pleased i seem to have started something tho! obviously hit a nerve amongst the regular home users! i just hope it's enough to precipitate a change in attitudes all round!

 

my thanks to all those who have contributed.


 

I wouldn't say you hit a nerve, most of us agree with you and just differ on how to apply better moderation to this issue. It is definitely a sensitive subject for a few people though :xRolleyes: :Lol: that's for sure.

 

Internet "trolls" come in all shapes and sizes, man. They could be e-thugs, people that were bullied, practical jokers (my fave kind), unfunny emo kids trying to be trolls like you get on Gaia Online, people that have had a bad day, drunkards, druggies, the stupid, and so on. Griefing is such a huge culture in itself now.

 

Good topic all the same mate :Thumbs:

0 Kudos

Re: To any Mod who can be bothered to answer...

___________________________
PS4 Preordered - yipeeee!
05
/16

lsd1968

  • Offline
93%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
lsd1968
Accepted Solution

"Sticks and stones" people

0 Kudos

Re: To any Mod who can be bothered to answer...

Lives of great men all remind us we may make our lives sublime and so departing leave behind us footprints in the sands of time.
08
/16

xElfenLied

  • Offline
90%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
xElfenLied
Accepted Solution

MarkT120 wrote:

sure Edw, a total ban is extreme. but how many home users no longer use? banned themselves, in effect.  

 

my 14yr old nephew point blank refuses to go on home because of it. most of his school mates have gone over to xbox because of it.

 

also, it's a major assumption to think that these fam's/gangs are all "spotty teenagers" who do it 'cos they're bullied at school! not the case. the bowling alley incident for example, was a bunch of guy's in their mid 20's.

 

i am quite pleased i seem to have started something tho! obviously hit a nerve amongst the regular home users! i just hope it's enough to precipitate a change in attitudes all round!

 

my thanks to all those who have contributed.


Your 14 year old nephew isn't supposed to be on there in the first place :| It's 16+. 

0 Kudos

Re: To any Mod who can be bothered to answer...

04
/16

MarkT120

  • Offline
93%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MarkT120
Accepted Solution

i agree elfin. but sony / mod's prevent under 16's from using home how, exactly? (isn't gambling illegal for under 18's btw?)

 

i have met loads of under 16's in the 6 months or so i've been using home, some as young as 12, or so they say!  so something isn't working as it should.

 

is this then a contibutory factor in the current situation i wonder?

 

either way, reading through some of the responses, yours included, a lot of ppl are simply not using home anymore, because of management failing to take control, and relying on users to do their job for them.

 

guy's you can come up with all the smart, clever, patronising answers you like. simple fact is, there are less users on home now than ther was 6 months ago when i started.

 

anyone who actually uses home, rather than just talk about it on the forum, will tell you that.

0 Kudos

Re: To any Mod who can be bothered to answer...


------ Yer only too old when yer dead... Till then, bring it on! ------

03
/16

FooFan73

  • Offline
90%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
FooFan73
Accepted Solution

MarkT120 wrote:

 

 

guy's you can come up with all the smart, clever, patronising answers you like. simple fact is, there are less users on home now than ther was 6 months ago when i started.

 

 


 

 

 

Whoa there, calm down a bit

 

Pretty much everyone in this thread has agreed with what you've said however a comment like yours which I've quoted above really isn't necessary and certainly isn't a very mature thing to do simply because you don't like what someone has posted

 

No-one in this thread has been "smart", "clever" or "patronising" towards you, Elf simply posted that this cousin of yours is on HOME underage 

 

In fact I actually find your response of "If it's 16+ then why do they allow gambling for under 18s?" quip a bit of a smart arse retort

 

Yes you're peed off with HOME but getting arsey with people in this thread over the slightest thing isn't going to do you or your point any favours

0 Kudos

Re: To any Mod who can be bothered to answer...

[ Edited ]
Photobucket
08
/16

KrazyFace

  • Offline
98%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
KrazyFace
Accepted Solution
Ed said earlier on that people just aren't used to the freedom that Home (and other virtual worlds) gives its users yet. This on its own is a major contributer to the fact people cant help turning into Grade-A fart-bandits once the realisation of Home hits them.

OHH EMM GEEs! I CAN HAZ TROLLNESS WIVOUT PUNISHMENTS!!!!

... Is probably what goes through a lot of idiots minds on first entering Home. Second comes the ability to convince themselves that "IT'S NOT REAL", y'know, in the same way like if you write a letter to your neighbor saying how sexy she looks when she does her gardening in her short shorts? She cant complain about that coz it was just written correspondence which as we all know, IS NOT REAL, right?

So, being able to say what you like without it somehow being official in that "NOT REAL" logic, mixed with zero punishment for saying such things = a total clusterpuck of idiots "beefin" eachother in a 3-D chatroom that just wants your money!

And the rest of us that acctually wanna use the place for that thing... Whatsitcalled? Oh yeah, SOCIALIZING We get labeled as saddos, weirdos and all the rest for trying to use the service as was intended!

*ahem* rant over, Carry On...
0 Kudos

Re: To any Mod who can be bothered to answer...

04
/16

MarkT120

  • Offline
93%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MarkT120
Accepted Solution

ok yes Foo, probably a bit strong.

 

i did not mean to offend anybody. my sincere appologies if i have done. not my intention at all, please believe, and forgive me.

 

i was simply tryting to highlight the fact that,

 

A/ despite the age limits, they only mean anything if they are enforced, and

 

B/ users are abandoning home in droves because of the abuse and intimidation.

 

the "smart @ssed retort" as you put it, was simply as observation of an incongruity, not aimed at any individual.

 

but yes, i am very angry, not about what anyone has posted on this thread, free speech and all, but about the disgusting abuse that is being handed out with apparent impunity.

 

indeed i am quite surprised by how so many seem to be in agreement.

 

the "smart @ssed retort", as you put it, was simply as observation of an incongruity, not aimed at any individual.

 

again, i would like to appologise to anyone i have offended. i shall endeavour to keep a lid on it in future.

0 Kudos

Re: To any Mod who can be bothered to answer...


------ Yer only too old when yer dead... Till then, bring it on! ------

04
/16

MarkT120

  • Offline
93%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MarkT120
Accepted Solution

Hmmm. should have read that through a little better! points off for repetition! lmao!

0 Kudos

Re: To any Mod who can be bothered to answer...


------ Yer only too old when yer dead... Till then, bring it on! ------

08
/16

xElfenLied

  • Offline
90%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
xElfenLied
Accepted Solution
Yes but my point being, is that your nephew moaned that he doesn't like it, and you moaned that he doesn't like it, when he's not legally old enough to use the service. You and your nephew can't moan that he doesn't like the service when he shouldn't be using it in the first place. He basically has no rights to say anything.

You personally, do have a right to say something, if you're over 16 that is, but it needs to be YOUR view on Home, not your nephew's view on Home.
0 Kudos

Re: To any Mod who can be bothered to answer...

04
/16

MarkT120

  • Offline
93%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MarkT120
Accepted Solution

point made, and taken, elfen.

 

yes, he should not have been on home in the first place, i agree.

 

but my point was, to get back on topic, that the u16 rules are not enforced.

 

he, or his peers, were never prevented from using (abusing?) the service in any way, and allowed free range to do as they pleased, including enter the casino.

 

these kids are seen as a source of revenue by sony, despite any user agreements, which only seem to work in sony's favour! we, the users, appear to have no way of making sony keep their end of the deal.

 

which may be the fundamental root of the problem. as long as they're making money, do sony actually care who's on home? or what they get up to?

 

please, please don't think i'm having a pop at you directly, because i'm really not.

 

i'm just trying to highlight what IMO are the shortcomings of the ppl who supposedly regulate home.

0 Kudos

Re: To any Mod who can be bothered to answer...


------ Yer only too old when yer dead... Till then, bring it on! ------

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel