Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: Which Home is the most stable ???

Wow GB, did you swallow the manual!? But hey, also good to know, I set my cache size to 12gigs ages ago, must be why it takes ages. I have my PS3 running through an Ethernet cable for connection, not sure how much faster that is to WiFi TBH. Any ideas?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 31 of 39 (170 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

Remember in high school maths when you were taught maxium flow? (If not catch up here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_flow_problem) thats how networks work.

If you have one of the old Phat PS3s your PS3 connection speed is limited to 100mpbs.

If you have one of the newer slim PS3s your connection is limited to 1000mbps.

So locally your PS3 speed is limited to either one of those.

Next is the router/switch. If it supports Gigabit then you can get 1000mbps through it, but then you will also require a CAT6 or higher ethernet cable to allow the full 1000mbps to your console.

If the router is not Gigabit (then its a bit old) your speed is capped at 100mbps.

Again these are local speeds. Not internet speeds.

Next comes your connection to the internet. You can find this speed here: http://www.speedtest.net

This is your actual internet speed and any internet traffic cannot exceed this speed passing through your network. So you may have Gigabit links to your PS3 but if your Internet speed is only 1mbps then thats all your PS3 is going to get. 

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Kudos". If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Remember to always backup your data.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 32 of 39 (142 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

This is going a bit off topic though. The OP was about which region of home is the most stable, not how fast your download speed is.

I find EU to be more stable than US, less network errors and such. I wouldnt say thats down to the EU home team responsible for feeding the hamster that runs around in the wheel powering the server being any better at their jobs to their US counterparts though.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 33 of 39 (136 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Maybe a bit off topic Fury, but really when it comes down to it, all these things factor into one cohesive whole to give you a personal Home upload/download speed. If we're talking about just the Sony servers tied to each region, then yeah, there might be slight differences there, but on the whole I think what really matters is what your personal ISP, router and other things are set at.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 34 of 39 (117 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Thanks for all your replys but there's still one thing i don't understand . I'm always using the same router , IP and all the same cables so why do i always have problems with EU and NA homes but never in Japan ??
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 35 of 39 (86 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

and before anybody says it  yes i am an idiot when it comes to computers .

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 36 of 39 (82 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

because ur internet connection doesnt run at a stable speed sometimes its good sometimes its bad depends on what time u use it..... 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 37 of 39 (77 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

claremac90 escreveu:
Thanks for all your replys but there's still one thing i don't understand . I'm always using the same router , IP and all the same cables so why do i always have problems with EU and NA homes but never in Japan ??

Perhaps because they have more powerfull servers... Asia is the number one when it comes to hosting capabilities.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 38 of 39 (72 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

Guedes747 wrote:

claremac90 escreveu:

Perhaps because they have more powerfull servers... Asia is the number one when it comes to hosting capabilities.

Every region is hosted on the same servers. Home is one big web application. Its your account which determins what you see and have access to, not the server you connect to.

As you login to Home it looks at what country your from (as specified when creating the account) and displays appropriate content for that country.

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Kudos". If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Remember to always backup your data.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 39 of 39 (57 Views)
0 Kudos