09 May 2012
By mid3get
Playstation Staff

Datura...Worth it?

11 Replies 743 Views Created 09-05-2012

I've spotted this on the store and am intrigued by it.

However I'm undecided as to whether or not to take a punt and purchase it - knowing nothing about it.

Anyone picked it up?  what made you go for it and the end result are you happy/was it worth it?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12 (743 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 9

Playstation Staff

Re: Datura...Worth it?

[ Edited ]

Thinking the same myself. Its by the same people behind Linger in the Shadows so its like an interactive experience but more immersive.

EDIT: IGN say its only 90 minutes in length but the game certainly warrants a second playthrough to see the different choices you could have made and their respective ramifications.

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1224385p1.html

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12 (740 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Thanks for the info.

So in essence you could translate it as a (much) shorter Heavy Rain type experience. (albeit not as morbid lol)

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12 (731 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 9

Playstation Staff

From what I've seen it just looks like various interactive scenarios all with different consequences.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12 (727 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

As a Move game I can't recommend it.

The Move controls are sluggish and imprecise to say the least, I realise the game is supposed to be dreamy/trippy/whatever but the game feels like a dismebodied hand mounted on the front of a tank where you constantly find you have to reverse and try again to do the simplest things.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12 (701 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 9

Playstation Staff

Yeah I see Gamecentrals review this morning. Just their pros & cons was enough to decide it for me.

In Short: The visuals are amazing but the game's moral quandaries are impossible to care about without any context, let alone any decent gameplay or controls. 

Pros: Superbly crafted visuals and atmospheric music. Some imaginative set pieces and moral choices. 

Cons: Horrible controls and laughably silly motion controls. Illogical puzzles and little that could be classified as real gameplay. Obscure storytelling seems more lazy than enigmatic. 

Score: 4/10 

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/898674-datura-review-bad-trip#ixzz1uTEt7yBo

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12 (688 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

Dude, you really gotta make up your own mind. This isn't a traditional game and you need to treat it as such. If you loved Linger in Shadows, you're much more likely to appreciate the approach with this one. The trailers are a good representation, I'd say, and if you're in the right frame of mind- sleep-deprived, for example- it will gel in a freaky, hallucinogenic kind of way.

The motion controls aren't all that bad, minor grievances at times but make sure you select if you're right or left-handed. Let me tell you, it's really awkward if you choose the opposite...

As for 'illogical puzzles', I can't honestly say I dilly-dallied for much of the game. All made sense to me... Well, excusing parts of the story in true Linger in Shadows style.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12 (663 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I'm playing this with the dual-shock.

Has anyone managed to get the good outcome at the bell tower yet?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12 (647 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Its an odd game thats for sure, and the move controller is odd as well, some floaty hand thing,

But I had the PS+ discount and im glad I tried it.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12 (590 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

I did this with the move and found it to be quite good. I had no issue with the motion controls at all and found it to be quite fluid and easy going
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12 (585 Views)
0 Kudos