miiiaow-x

37%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Accepted Solution

Move Calibration Problems / Drift (HouseoftheDead)

11 Replies 4,854 Views Created 02-05-2012

So I got two move controllers and the cam for my birthday in February, and recently, (having loved the wii version) purchased House of the Dead Overkill Extended Cut. Have been playing the game for weeks now, and had encountered no problem till this morning.

Tried to calibrate the move, it says 'calibration failed due to movement' but then freezes and won't let me recalibrate. I can get round this by switching the controller off and on. Then I repeat the process, it says 'calibration successful', but when I enter into the game the crosshair is going crazy, drifting to all sections of the screen, and making the game unplayable. It works a bit better if I hold it at a strange, slanted angle but this is uncomfortable and still not accurate enough.

I have tried recalibrating in game, on the XMB and turning off the magnetic sensor.  I have restarted the system and controller many times, altered the position of the camera and the lighting in my room, using the other remove, changing my position from the tele but nothing works!

This is extremely frustrating as I bought the game purely for the move compatibility. I was going for the platinum trophy, consistently scoring near 100% accuracy on every level, and now the drift is so bad I end up killing civs and dying several times.  Help, anyone?

TL/DR: Move controller won't calibrate without drift, making House of the Dead Overkill unplayable. Have tried all the solutions I have heard mentioned so far, nothing works.

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solutions
/16

MadchesterManc

86%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MadchesterManc
Accepted Solution
Do you have anything in the other USB ports like a charging controller or PlayTV etc? On the odd occasion when im charging my DS3 (Ipicked up a docking station to charge my Move/Nav from gamestation for 99p. Works a treat and is useful if you have 2 Moves or a Nav) The camera will act as though it isn't being powered property and calibration fails and the cam feed is erratic. It very rarely happens so it might not be the issue your having, but its food for thought.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Re: Move Calibration Problems / Drift (HouseoftheDead)

All Replies
/16

MadchesterManc

86%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MadchesterManc
Accepted Solution
I get a bit of drift with this game too and its always a few cm's to the left. Overkill does have a nifty feature whereby pressing SELECT will return the cursor to its original position. Ive had the game a few months and there hasn't been a patch so the SELECT button will become your best friend :D
0 Kudos

/16

miiiaow-x

37%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
miiiaow-x
Accepted Solution

Even though its not just a little drift, i went on to try this regardless, and now I can't even get past 'calibration failed - please ensure the move controller is pointed at the PsEye' [which it is] 
:/ 

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

GraphiteGB

• Beta Tester
96%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
GraphiteGB
Accepted Solution

miiiaow-x wrote:

Even though its not just a little drift, i went on to try this regardless, and now I can't even get past 'calibration failed - please ensure the move controller is pointed at the PsEye' [which it is] 
:/ 

When you erase them from PS3. You have to start from as New, Aka XMB calibrate then Game calibrate.

If you've Done that then theres a more than Game usage fault at work.

Whats the camera feed like With all USB devices Disconnected and just the PSEye on its own on Eye create.

0 Kudos

SIEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester.

I use Game Capture HD II to capture and upload videos on to youtube
Free Plex app for PS4 AND PS3 out now...

Black screen on PC remote play showing up as windows GPU driver miss match, visit Intell, AMD, Nvidia to change your driver, downgrade of GPU driver may be required.
/16

miiiaow-x

37%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
miiiaow-x
Accepted Solution

The camera feed still seems fine, on Singstar for example.

The only other move compatitble game I have is DanceStarParty...which seems not to be registering my movements properly either, though its difficult to tell as of course there is not the precision of a shooting game.

0 Kudos

/16

MadchesterManc

86%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MadchesterManc
Accepted Solution
Do you have anything in the other USB ports like a charging controller or PlayTV etc? On the odd occasion when im charging my DS3 (Ipicked up a docking station to charge my Move/Nav from gamestation for 99p. Works a treat and is useful if you have 2 Moves or a Nav) The camera will act as though it isn't being powered property and calibration fails and the cam feed is erratic. It very rarely happens so it might not be the issue your having, but its food for thought.
0 Kudos

/16

miiiaow-x

37%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
miiiaow-x
Accepted Solution

Thanks, I'll check it out. I do have a docking station for my pads. If not, looks like I'm gonna be asking Amazon for a replacement move, it's still under guarantee so.

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

GraphiteGB

• Beta Tester
96%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
GraphiteGB
Accepted Solution

miiiaow-x wrote:

So I got two move controllers and the cam for my birthday in February, and recently, (having loved the wii version) purchased House of the Dead Overkill Extended Cut. Have been playing the game for weeks now, and had encountered no problem till this morning.

Tried to calibrate the move, it says 'calibration failed due to movement' but then freezes and won't let me recalibrate. I can get round this by switching the controller off and on. Then I repeat the process, it says 'calibration successful', but when I enter into the game the crosshair is going crazy, drifting to all sections of the screen, and making the game unplayable. It works a bit better if I hold it at a strange, slanted angle but this is uncomfortable and still not accurate enough.

I have tried recalibrating in game, on the XMB and turning off the magnetic sensor.  I have restarted the system and controller many times, altered the position of the camera and the lighting in my room, using the other remove, changing my position from the tele but nothing works!

This is extremely frustrating as I bought the game purely for the move compatibility. I was going for the platinum trophy, consistently scoring near 100% accuracy on every level, and now the drift is so bad I end up killing civs and dying several times.  Help, anyone?

TL/DR: Move controller won't calibrate without drift, making House of the Dead Overkill unplayable. Have tried all the solutions I have heard mentioned so far, nothing works.

MadchesterManc wrote:
I get a bit of drift with this game too and its always a few cm's to the left. Overkill does have a nifty feature whereby pressing SELECT will return the cursor to its original position. Ive had the game a few months and there hasn't been a patch so the SELECT button will become your best friend :D

The OP does not have a Dift problem Hes got A failure to calibrate problem After >2MONTHs of not having any problems.

The only Things hes not listed is....

Erasing the MOVEs by using the resets on the move controllers or restoring the PS3 to factory settings from the recovery menu there by erasing the Move details from the PS3, which you do with XMB calibrations, If they got currupted some how they may not be over wrting with new data....

0 Kudos

SIEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester.

I use Game Capture HD II to capture and upload videos on to youtube
Free Plex app for PS4 AND PS3 out now...

Black screen on PC remote play showing up as windows GPU driver miss match, visit Intell, AMD, Nvidia to change your driver, downgrade of GPU driver may be required.
/16

Tommic85

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Tommic85
Accepted Solution
I get the exact same problem when playing dead space extraction. So much so that I've played the first level and then just deleted it off my system. Though on all the rest of my move games, I have no problems at all?! Strange...
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

el-ve

• Beta Tester
100%
16 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
el-ve
Accepted Solution
i've been having some issues with overkill also, yet house of the dead 3 is spot on?!
0 Kudos

/16

mistachicken

98%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
mistachicken
Accepted Solution

I think we should just face it that the move is good and bad.

Its a great bit of kit that i myself have bought then sold it 3 times!!!

i buy it and love playing tumble and a couple of other games , but as soon as i play a game that requires a bit of precicion it all goes downhill , every game i have played suffers from drifting , some small , some huge!!

house of the O.K and the shoot have been the worst , there is no point trying to aim properly as it always starts well then a few waggles here and there and your already a couple of inch's out!!

The tech for gaming like move and kinect is great for a bit of fun but trying to use it in hardcore gaming just does not work , with the exception of the wii that have fine tuned what is a very limited bit of kit.

maybe they'll come up with what we want eventually.

cheers

0 Kudos

/16

miiiaow-x

37%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
miiiaow-x
Accepted Solution

Well I managed to platinum HoTD a few days after posting this thread, the problem did seem to be just having my docking station plugged in at the same time! and my other move games work fine.

But I do agree, it is by no means a perfect bit of kit.  A lot cheaper than buying a wii though! I have a wii also, but i find it lacking in decent games!

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel